ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup // Meg 225 comparison?

172 Cup (2003)
Howdy,

I'm not sure if this is in the right section....or if someone may have posted about a comparison (i use the term comparison lightly) previously.

I currently own a 172 Cup '03 plate, 41k.... but after RWS this weekend i think i've fallen in love with the Meg 225.....

I love how the cup handles, drives, the speed, the acceleration...i know the Meg is a totally different car... but am i going to be impressed if i changed for the Meg?

Has anyone driven both a 172 cup and a meg 225 and would be able to offer any insight?

gazz

172 Cup (2003)
I wont be buying a new one, i'm looking second hand. I might be a while looking for a used one with a LSD.

Elise/VX220/R26
I had a FF 172. The megane is a bit of a different proposition. The 172 is more pointy and direct in steering etc but the megane is more "beefy" its quicker especially when remapped it becomes alot quicker even "in the twisties" ask the dude in the 182 that tried to hold me up at the Nurburgring a few weeks ago (well for all of 2 corners) out of interst the same driver did the same thing with another of our group who had a non remapped non cup chassis meg and still got pissed on.

Both are amongst the best cars in their sectors IMO. Dont be too focussed on the LSD in the real world it makes little difference and you can get some cracking prices on phase 1/2 cups, trophy's and F1s all of which have the cup chassis but no LSD.

I might be biased but the best bargain is the F1 as you get the Recaros and same suspension setup as the R26 but just no LSD but you will save between 2 and 4k on the price.

Black Gold with cup packs
Ask the guy who I blitzed in this 225 F1 the other day! It's beautiful having 210bhp/ton! The guy was smiling at me prior to me putting my foot down. Who's laughing now!!!!!!!!
I'd willingly bet my 172cup is at least a full second faster than a standard 225/ But then again my cup isn't standard

Elise/VX220/R26
depends m8 are we talking rolling start? I'd pink slip you on a 20mph rolling start. Standing start you can balls. 300kgs more to haul off the line :D

ValverInBits
pretty sure an LSD will always make a difference to the kind of driver who likes his ultimate roundabout performance.

How much power do 225s make remapped?

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Ask the guy who I blitzed in this 225 F1 the other day! It's beautiful having 210bhp/ton! The guy was smiling at me prior to me putting my foot down. Who's laughing now!!!!!!!!
I'd willingly bet my 172cup is at least a full second faster than a standard 225/ But then again my cup isn't standard

210bhp/ton? Doesn't that mean you're effectively running nigh on 225bhp anyway? What power is that bad boy making mate?

Aren't the early basic 225s a bit crap compared to the later ones with the Cup packs, and the Trophy/F1? I remember when they first came out they got slated. If you're just looking for a cruiser I'm sure they're fine - but personally I'd at least want the Cup packs - I'd want a Trophy aside from the fact I don't like the colour hehe. A standard one isn't likely to be much quicker than a 172 Cup in a straight line is it till you get to big speeds? Remapped is a different ball game of course :)

Dan

Elise/VX220/R26
Dan you've kind of summed up the cup/non cup thing. The non cup is more of a cruiser, less of a compromise. The ride on the F1 I can tell you is harsh so its not for everyone. Its still a capable car without the cup pack though. At the ring the other week I got totally mullered by a non cupped 225. Dont know what power it was running but mine is 270 bhp which is really about as much as you can get from them at the moment.

MKIII 138
210bhp/ton? Doesn't that mean you're effectively running nigh on 225bhp anyway? What power is that bad boy making mate?

what i thought, seems high tbh. are you on throttle bodies or agressive cams, new ecu etc..

270bhp and 280lbft is the highest they map. however the ecu adapts to granny driving so you can actually find your mapped meg get marginally slower, why its better to get the plug in box and re-flash now and then.

BMW M135i
I've just gone 172FF->Cupped 225FF and by god what a difference, agree with everything jonnyboy says imo its the better car in every department. Still can't believe how well it handles for a big car and how composed it is, while the 172 always felt a little on the limit when pushing on the meg just feels so planted.