ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Misfiring - Interesting Problem

RS Clio 172 Cup
Hi guys, I've recently been having some misfiring issues with my 172 Cup, probably just down to the coil pack or HT leads, of which both I have ordered replacements of. The problem is that I am a student and have just moved back to uni for 2 months, leaving my car at home, before I had time to fix it. So the question is should I get someone at home to drive it every now and then (as I would usually do to save it from standing still for 2 months), or should I not drive it for risk of damaging something? Is it actually doing my car any harm running on 3 cylinders?

While I'm asking, is there anything else that could be causing the misfire? They're new sparks, and I'm going to do the TDC sensor as well, anything else it could be (apart form injectors)?

Cheers

If it's running on 3 it's unlikely to be coil pack as it's a wasted spark setup. I've seen two with a duff injector in as many weeks so worth measuring the resistance of the injectors to check they all match and one doesnt have a duff coil.

RS Clio 172 Cup
If it's running on 3 it's unlikely to be coil pack as it's a wasted spark setup. I've seen two with a duff injector in as many weeks so worth measuring the resistance of the injectors to check they all match and one doesnt have a duff coil.

Ok thanks, I will try measuring the coils and see if one is faulty. But in the mean time should it be driven do you think? What are the risks?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As above, check the electrical "Health" of the injectors. Also check that the connection hasn't broken off as they're a poor design TBH and easily damaged resulting in misfire like symptoms.