ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup now or 182 in 2months

racing blue 182
hey guys and gals, ive been hunting around for 3 months or so now for a 172 cup and haven't managed to find 1 i want. i have cash waiting for the right 172 cup if it comes up. problem is im starting to think shall i wait till the end of may and have 8ishk in the pocket for a 182??

what would 8k get you in the 182 market????

RB 200 Cup!
perosnally id wait for a 182 but hey you shoiuld go with what you "feel" would be best

8k on a 182 would prob be 54 plate or similar

racing blue 182
c108_1.jpg

this is what is tempting me towards the 182

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Personally i'd go for the 182 . Newer car , lower mileage . Plus i prefer the look of the 182 , twin exhausts , nicer lookin' wheels if they are in anthracite .

Mk4 .:R32
182 with both cup packs definitely. 172 Cup is orientated mainly around performance, at least you get a few comfort mods with a 182 like the climate control, cruise control, half leather seats and don't forget xenons and the sh*t hot exhaust.

182 Full Fatt!
Our FF 182 was £7400 and I feel it is more 'planted' than our 172 ever felt. It feels a little more torquey too.
I also love the Twin pipes, the 172 exhausts are starting to rust through now (We had to replace ours on the 172 at 48K miles) so I would expect slightly higher running costs on the 172, dependant on mileage of course!

I know ours is a FF but I also love the cruise control, I use it loads!

racing blue 182
If you want toys go for a 182, if you want raw driving experience go for the 172 cup (the proper cup) ;)

is the 182 in the picture not a 182 cup so why would this change the driving experience??
the extra it has over 172 cup is air con right:S

racing blue 182
if i don't find the right 172 cup in next two months i think i will be very tempted by the 182.

but should i go for the 182 cup or the 182(ff) with cup packs??

i think i would prefer the 182 with cup packs does this affect the price tho?

Breaking A 172 Replica
I'd go for a cup now or in 2 months time.

They look much better and turinis look much nicer than those toy alloys fitted as standard to 182s.

M2 Competition
Wait and get a 182 fullfat with both cup packs mate. Far nicer car for your money, and no slower in the real world.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
hey guys and gals, ive been hunting around for 3 months or so now for a 172 cup and haven't managed to find 1 i want. i have cash waiting for the right 172 cup if it comes up. problem is im starting to think shall i wait till the end of may and have 8ishk in the pocket for a 182??

what would 8k get you in the 182 market????

Same manufacturer - same car. Two different ways of getting 'similar' performance.

It depends what you're after. If you are after a more raw driving experience, then clearly the 172 Cup is the way to go. You may have more of a search on your hands for a decent one though - they seem to be getting fewer and fewer now. Personally, I wasn't too keen on the dash, but that's a trivial point.

The 182 FF would have more toys - and you'd have a choice of colours as well. Aesthetically, I like the twin rear pipes on the 182 and the anthracites look good on the FF version.

I really like my 182, but so very nearly got a 172 Cup before it. I know the indecision you are facing! :)

D.

clio...
Personally; I'd just get a 182 with both cup packs. Luxary + a good standard of performence. For the driving i believe you'll be doing 99% of the time the 182FF with both cups would suit you a lot more.

Unless you want to drive everywhere at full throttle?

Just my opinion though.

Clio's
get the 182 and Get the 182 FF rather than the 182 cup the difference in weight is not worth loosing all of the extras that the FF has!

Silver Clio 172 Cup
Just out of interest, what would you spend on a decent 172 Cup?

Mine's a silver 172 Cup on a 53 plate with 40k miles. It's mint apart from kerbing on the turinis (previous owner's GF to blame) which I haven't got round to sorting out yet. I love it but I'm driving 100 miles a day on the M42 most days and the cup isn't really the car for it. I *might* consider selling....

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
I'd rather have ABS in the real world and an interior that does'nt say basic crap, probably get die hards sreaming at this statement but its the truth, get a FF 182, nobody drives like the stig 100% of the time mate, its nice to have creature comforts aswell.

Silver Clio 172 Cup
Not enough people here sticking up for the 172 Cup IMO!

If you do loads of motorway miles then I'd agree the 182 is the car to go for, but if you're on twisty A-roads and country lanes the Cup is just brilliant. If I didn't do motorway miles (unexpected job move) there's no way I'd consider selling my Cup.

People have their views on ABS. Frankly I don't think you need it - if you've got braided hoses and decent pads & tyres you've got plenty of brake feel and grip, and threshold braking comes very naturally, even in an emergency. The brakes on mine are the best bit of the car. If you're worried about it then go and spend some money on driver training - it's money well spent and is much more likely to save you than ABS.

LY V6 with Recaros
I'd personally go for the 182 with cup packs, you get all the toys then aswell. If you went for the cup, I'd go for the 172 cup over the 182 cup, as there is enough difference to warrant the 172 cup, the 182 cup seems a bit pointless to me as you can get a cupped 182 anyway.

182 Full Fatt!
get a 182 ff with cup packs imo just look inside of the 172 cup lol

I agree, get a 182 FF with both cup packs! If you do motorway driving like me you'll love the Cruise, and it rags along at a great rate, and the leather/alcantara seat s are lovely.
I really couldn't live with the fabric seats in the Cup!

This is ours...
image002xe2.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
I can not speak from experience as I do not have either, but going on general opinion on here I would say you would probably be happier with the 182 and all it's toys.

racing blue 182
well every1 seems to think 182 with cup packs and i think i will go for it if the right 172 cup doesn't come up in next two months.

im spending 6.5 max really on a 172 cup and want low miles for that price. imo i don't think its worth spending much more on a 172 cup when 182's go for 7.5-8

think my heart is with the 172 cup coz i live in the sticks a bit so lovely contry roads about.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)
What is low millage, mine is 32,000 and mint, been in the for sale section for 6 weeks.

Silver Clio 172 Cup
Good luck Shell. You'll end up happy either way. Mine's mint but it sounds like the miles might be a bit high for you - I don't really want to sell it yet anyway. PM me though if you can't find a decent one with the miles you want.

Monaro VXR
182 FF with cup packs gets my vote.

For day to day driving 182 is far better you got the comforts and no real difference in performance. Plus the cup is more expensive to insure due to how many of them get wrote off in the winter.