ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup on the rr

Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT

done a power run on my cup the day and it only made 142.5 bhp at the wheels ,so being fair thats only roughly 160 bhp at the fly. so wheres the other 12 hp gone . also noticed that there is alot of rattles from engine sound s like it pinks may be caused by the ignition retarding dont no ,

i filled her up with the new bp ultima super unleaded witch is 98 ron according to the lady that served me . wonder if this may have summit to do with it .
any 1 have any thoughts on this or may no of other clio 172s that were short on the power and pinked

ps sorry for the long post im a little dissapointed

erm most prob will just be the rr been inacurate mate dont worry about i, does it feel fast if so it will be ok dont worry about it !!

Elise/VX220/R26

Theres lot of stuff flying about about 172s been vastly different in performance. I personally think that it got more to do with the equipment and calibration of the rolling road. It would be intresting if you took it to another RR on the same day and see if theres a difference .

Elise/VX220/R26

Also its worth mentioning that renno would actually be in breach of trading laws if they were pumping out clio 172s with 160 brake. Mazda have done two buyback offers in the states for that very reason (advertising a car as having about 10 brake more than it did)

Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT

the rr i use is 1 off the most reliable i no and i get my gt turbo tuned and rr there ,

the mileage is 8500

doesnt sound nice the pinking very prominent sound. the new bp stuff is supposed to be 98 ron to be in compition with optimax.

Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT

as for taking it back cause its under power im sure i would have great fun asking for a refund at mr reno lollol

its more the pinking noise im concerned with if its detonating surelly it will cause damage in the long run.

Quote: Originally posted by 17too cup on 12 October 2003

its more the pinking noise im concerned with if its detonating surelly it will cause damage in the long run.
as i say, they go lean

run on optimax if your worried and not bp Ultima

if u are really worried get it booked in, however i have a felling they will say it is fine!

At the end of the day RRs are BS they all give different figures, get your car down the 1/4 mile and if your running 15.0 1/4 miles in a 172 you got a good un.

Lionel Richie

Power EngineeringRR day just gone

std 172 = 169bhp

std 172 = 170bhp

172 with panel filter = 168bhp

Roamers 172 = 212bhp

Id say Power Engineering Rollers are about the best!!!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

done a power run on my cup the day and it only made 142.5 bhp at the wheels ,so being fair thats only roughly 160 bhp at the fly. so wheres the other 12 hp gone . also noticed that there is alot of rattles from engine sound s like it pinks may be caused by the ignition retarding dont no ,
Well, 142.5bhp @ wheels = approx 170bhp @ fly so pretty much spot on!

The 172 in the name is 172bhp (DIN) and is actually ~170hp in UK terms, so your car is not underpowered, its as it should be.

i filled her up with the new bp ultima super unleaded witch is 98 ron according to the lady that served me . wonder if this may have summit to do with it .
any 1 have any thoughts on this or may no of other clio 172s that were short on the power and pinked
BP Ultimate is only 97 RON mate, so you were told porkies!

Use Optimax as thats at least 98 RON and cheaper...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

the rr i use is 1 off the most reliable i no and i get my gt turbo tuned and rr there ,
So where is this place and whats it called???

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Hello...Im new to the game, but we had my Bros 172 on the Janspeed Rolling road and the HP Figures came out at 125Bhp and 127Bhp with there exhaust system. But as Dogmaul says, if it feels fast (Which it does) then who cares. Gave a Scobby a damn good run for its money on Friday nite on the twisty roads! :cool:

Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 13 October 2003

So where is this place and whats it called???
AVA in glasgow is the name of the rr.

thnx for the positive reply m8 .

how do u work out that mailto:142.5@wheels">142.5@wheels is equivelent to 170 fly?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by 17too cup on 13 October 2003

AVA in glasgow is the name of the rr.

thnx for the positive reply m8 .

how do u work out that mailto:142.5@wheels">142.5@wheels is equivelent to 170 fly?
You get the power @ wheels, then use the transmission losses to work out power @ fly.

In the case of most fwd cars its ~15% so...

142.5bhp = 85% (of bhp @ fly) thus >>> [(142.5 / 85) x 100] = 167.6bhp @ fly

Or, the Puma Racing method:

[(bhp @ wheels + 10) / 0.9] = bhp @ fly

[(142.5 + 10) / 0.9] = 169.4bhp @ fly

Like I said, its "about" 170bhp @ fly, as I was just making an educated guess from what I know...

as you can see I got a very similar wheel power as you 142.5 vs 142.7 and they worked my power out to be mailto:172bhp@fly">172bhp@fly

when i don the rr on my car it put 184,2 ps on the fly wheel and 153,4 ps on the wheels and only tuning on my car is a kinddragon air filter in the std. airbox everything else is std!