ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup or Civic type R?

Fiesta ST
Hi guys,

Im going to soon by selling my Fiesta ST to help pay off some of my loan which will free up cash for a deposit for a house.

I will obviously need to buy a cheaper car, but hopefully a faster one. Im thinking of either a 172 cup or a CTR. Obviously the 172 will be cheaper, but the CTR faster and I prefer the interior of the Civic also.

Can anyone give me some good advice on the Clio. Things to look out for, common problems, price of the car and running cost etc etc. Any information would really help me.

Im probably willing to spend up to around 3k.

Oh, and can anyone actually confirm what the 172 will do 0-60 as stock. There seems to be too many times around on the internet.

Cheers guys.
Mike

200 FF Storm Grey
Can't see you saving that much 2bh mate once insurance comes into it, what are ST's going for now, about 5.5k?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Don't buy a ctr for 3/4k that's just a money pit tbh.

Get a cup or a normal 172.

Mondeo diesel barge
172, as 3k won't get a CTR worth having, in fact an absolute munter is the correct way to describe what you'd be getting.

MCS R56
Hi guys,

Im going to soon by selling my Fiesta ST to help pay off some of my loan which will free up cash for a deposit for a house.

I will obviously need to buy a cheaper car, but hopefully a faster one. Im thinking of either a 172 cup or a CTR. Obviously the 172 will be cheaper, but the CTR faster and I prefer the interior of the Civic also.

Can anyone give me some good advice on the Clio. Things to look out for, common problems, price of the car and running cost etc etc. Any information would really help me.

Im probably willing to spend up to around 3k.

Oh, and can anyone actually confirm what the 172 will do 0-60 as stock. There seems to be too many times around on the internet.

Cheers guys.
Mike

There is no performance difference between these cars until after 100, where there Civic will have a slight edge. Not sure how you'll save money buying a car that's more expensive to insure/run?

Don't buy the Clio if all you are into is 0-60.

Golf 7R
172 Cup would be my choice of weapon. An EP3 for 3k would be an absolute snotter i'd imagine!

Oh, and from experience the 172 Cup will just edge the CTR to 60, but the Civic will catch and edge it at 90+

Last edited:
  Ph 1 172
cup because there is hardly anything in it on a straight line! would all be down to how good a driver you are but when you hit some b roads ctr would get chewed up! even standard 172's i think would do them! just my personal view aftter my mate chased me in his ctr

Clio 1970000000
Listen to the other here. A 3k CTR will be absolutely shagged and you will be paying a higher insurance premium. Save your pennies until you can aford a decent example.

Clio 1970000000
cup because there is hardly anything in it on a straight line! would all be down to how good a driver you are but when you hit some b roads ctr would get chewed up! even standard 172's i think would do them! just my personal view aftter my mate chased me in his ctr

CTR is good in the dry, not so good in the wet on the standard Bridgestones.

Iceberg 172
If you want a fast car in a straight line that is cheap, get an Ibiza cupra for £3k ish that has a few mods. 200bhp+. Sub 6 secs 0-60.

If you want an absolute blast which will make u smile even after owning much faster cars then get the 172.

If you want a shitter get the £3k CTR... if they actually exsist.

Fiesta ST
I probably would have spent a little more on a CTR. 3k would get me a half decent 172 or cup (which is best to go for)? What common problems do they have?

Id be quite happy with the cup though. Im just selling the ST so I have a couple of grand to pay of most my loan which will allow me to save earlier and better for a house deposit. Insurance and petrol wont be too bad. Ill have 3 years no claims this time around and I dont rag my cars everywhere anyway, I average about 31mpg

Fiesta ST
oh and btw, I didnt say I want a car for straight line, just wanted the 0-60 time cleared up. I do much prefer going round corners quicker than straight line driving which Is why I prefer my old saxo to my ST lol.

Golf GT TDI
you will be looking at about £5k+ for a good type r which brings you nicely back to square 1! now that to me is pointless...

if you decide on a clio good ones can be had for about £3k now but cups maybe a little more

cambelt change is essental as all clio sports are over 5 years old now and cost £400-£500 (less on a cup-no a/c)

Fiesta ST
Ill go for a cup then. Is the cup much better than the standard 172? Also, with some slight adjustment, can you put the standard 182 manifold and exhaust on the 172? I love the way they look..

Golf GT TDI
if you like luxuarys = normal 172
if you are hardcore = 172 cup

not a world of difference in peformance tbh but the cup is a more focused drivers car

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
tyers said:
Ill go for a cup then. Is the cup much better than the standard 172? Also, with some slight adjustment, can you put the standard 182 manifold and exhaust on the 172? I love the way they look..
No, the spare tyre well gets in the way. Check insurance before buying, a few companies won't insure the cup, lack of abs etc.
I'd be more tempted by a ph1 and some coilovers tbh. Same engine/chassis, fair whack cheaper.

Fiesta ST
lol, yes my question was answered. I didnt know how cheap CTRs go for though thats all.

I really dont like the look of the PH1, and much prefer the cup look with the 16s and the blue paint to the standard 172 - even though Id like abs, air con etc. But its no big deal. Id prefer a 182 more than a 172, its just the money factor.

I need as much as poss for a deposit, my young spending recklessly days are over!

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Then just get a PH1 172 and close your eyes when you drive it :rasp:

lol, yes my question was answered. I didnt know how cheap CTRs go for though thats all.

I really dont like the look of the PH1, and much prefer the cup look with the 16s and the blue paint to the standard 172 - even though Id like abs, air con etc. But its no big deal. Id prefer a 182 more than a 172, its just the money factor.

I need as much as poss for a deposit, my young spending recklessly days are over!

Iceberg 172
So you'd prefer air con and abs but because you prefer the turinis you're looking at a cup? As much as I will get slated I made the same mistake... I got the cup as I prefered the look. Big mistake. My iceberg 172 is now much nicer than my cup was.

Fiesta ST
Yeah that could be 1 idea. Ill have to have a look around. I thought the cups were cheaper than the standard 172 though?

What colours do the 172 come in?

Fiesta ST
Once I make it spotless. hopefully 5k - 5250. I ideally want to put atleast 2k back into my loan, which wont leave me with too much left over

Clio 1970000000
So selling a 5k car and buying a 3k car. All bullsh*t aside, you are going to have to spend a few quid on whatever 3k car you buy, unless you are really lucky, so is it really worth it? If you are going to keep the car for a few years, keep with what you've got, save an extra £20 a week and you'll have 1k in a year.

Iceberg 172
Cups are more expensive as good ones are rare. Where as good 172's can be had for sub £3k. I've put turinis, coilovers and a fabia splitter on mine and it's lovely!

172's come in Iceberg silver, black, flame red and Monaco blue I think that's it. Iceberg silver is the best IMO. Monaco is also lovely when clean and shiny. Flame red is nice. Not a lover of black cars personally.

Fiesta ST
So selling a 5k car and buying a 3k car. All bullsh*t aside, you are going to have to spend a few quid on whatever 3k car you buy, unless you are really lucky, so is it really worth it? If you are going to keep the car for a few years, keep with what you've got, save an extra £20 a week and you'll have 1k in a year.

I can do bits and bobs myself and my girlfriends father can carry out any mechanical work and his speciality is French as thats all hes ever owned lol.

I dont mind having to spend bits and bobs, my loan costs £260 a month already which I really need to free up..

Ill have a look at standard 172s and go from there

Clio 1970000000
I can do bits and bobs myself and my girlfriends father can carry out any mechanical work and his speciality is French as thats all hes ever owned lol.

I dont mind having to spend bits and bobs, my loan costs £260 a month already which I really need to free up..

Ill have a look at standard 172s and go from there

Fair enough mate. Just making sure that you have realistic expectations. That's what we are all here for.