ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup owners

172 cup
I know this should be in mechanical really but just wanted some opinions and thoughts.
Does anyone owning a 172 cup have continuous probs with engine or running of it?
Have probs been easily sorted?;)
Thanx, really appreciate ur thoughts...

APR LCR225
Not atall myself, idles abit lumpy but they all do exactly the same! Sometimes will turns over without starting in the petrol station, but then starts first time the next try, which also seems common, even on my dads V6:)

Maybe you have a sensor out?? warning lights etc?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
mine never missed a beat from 30k to 73k..... it was also driven like i stole it ;)

172 cup
generally good but intermittently cuttin out (dunno if anyone has read thread in mechanical?)
Had a few things replaced lately and going back tomorrow...:(

M2 Competition
Its in limp mode, so off to have a new o2 sensor and throttle sensor tomorrow.

The joys of 3k rpm! Lol

myself and a few other cup owners dont have any probs , touch wood ....... looks like a bad egg imo

M2 Competition
Aye, until today mines been trouble free for around 18months. Before that though it was one problem after the other, lol.

Only prob I had was when it idled high but that seemed to sort itself out after a week oO

Other than that its never skipped a beat... apart from a few things that were my fault

172 Cup (track) FS
mine was fine until I put in on the track, then most of the mechanical bits not linked to the engine have needed replacing. Engine solid though !

brakes
clutch
driveshafts
wheel bearings
steering arms
etc.

seems like mine wasn't really driven before I got it, and in my experience cars always last better if they're driven fairly hard. Mechanical bits need using !

172 cup
cheers guys....
Ive had mine now for 8 months and only started having probs in the last 2 months. I drive it quite hard sometimes (not as often as i probably should!)
Going back into renault on wednesday!:rasp:

Banana
Had mine since new, driven hard daily, 3 and a half years fault free :) I've never even had to replace a bulb yet lol. It does feel lumpy whilst idling on really hot days though.

172 cup
this is the only prob i have had with it, just wish it would get sorted and be reliable. Wanted to take it to SE meet on 24th so really hope they find out what the prob it this time :)

172 cup
hi peeps...
Ive narrowed the prob down and my car only seems to cut out when it has been driven hard? (has done a few times being driven normally also)
any ideas?:(

RS Clio 200
sounds like a fuel pump possibly..... its obviously not fueling itself properly after its had some fun.

172 cup
do you think i shoud mention these things to renault when it goes in tomorrow?
I know what its like when someone tries to tell me my job so i dont want to p1ss them off?:S

172Petey

I dont want to jinks mine but It has been great fun for the 6.5k that I have owned it.

There has been alot of dodgy fuel about lately so fuel pump could be the problem, but i would have thought you would get a fault code up for that and it would have been found.

It would be interesting to see what temp the oil, and coolant sensors were recording after you had thrashed it a little and it cut out!

CB600FS
What work you had done Laura, what parts have they replaced aswell?

Coolant temp sensor can cause the car to cut out, and 9 times out of 10 it won't show a fault on the diagnostic machine

172 cup
What work you had done Laura, what parts have they replaced aswell?

Coolant temp sensor can cause the car to cut out, and 9 times out of 10 it won't show a fault on the diagnostic machine

I had throttle pedentiometer replaced last month and last week has throttle body replaced:( £500 later!:(

172 cup
Re: 172 cup owners - update!

so car went in this morning at 8am...
Got a phone call at 5.10pm this aftrenoon and they cant diagnose the problem! The workshop manager has to take it home with him tonight with a portable 'diagnostic computer' attatched while he is driving.
I am absoutely shi**ing myself, dont want my baby damaged. Doubt ill sleep tonight worrying....:cry: :(

Mondeo TDCI 130

Got a phone call at 5.10pm this aftrenoon and they cant diagnose the problem! The workshop manager has to take it home with him tonight with a portable 'diagnostic computer' attatched while he is driving.
I am absoutely shi**ing myself, dont want my baby damaged. Doubt ill sleep tonight worrying....:cry: :(

dont worry! the workshop manager wont be a whizzkid! it will be fine!!! he will have clip with him.:D

172 cup

dont worry! the workshop manager wont be a whizzkid! it will be fine!!! he will have clip with him.:D

Hope not but its the only option to sort it out:(

Mondeo TDCI 130
Dont worry! just make sure before you leave the premises, you have a good look around and check for damage!!!:)

J

JACKO CUP 172!

i had a prob with mine a couple of times but it was caused by short journeys and it still being on cold start..

M

mini-valver

It's the diagnostic program Renault use to find faults.
Try the MAP sensor, Mine did the exact same things when the senosr seal was leaking.....

172 cup
Renault phoned me earlier..car cut out while workshop manager was driving it last night!
2 top technicians from renault have both agreed that my platinum plugs need changing...£131
Hope they are right!:dapprove: