ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 CUP POWER STEERING JUST GONE, hose has snapped! help asap!!

just came back to my car and found that the power steering fluid has pissed out allover under the front passenger side wheel, had a further inspection and the hose has snapped!:(

ive got a written off clio dynamique 1.2 16v 03 plate, just looking in the engine bay and powersteering setup looks very different so cant take it from there?

any help please where to get a new one asap and what models have the same power steering setup? all hoeses ect?

thanks

okay just been to dealerships and there quoting me £213.00 for the high pressure hose!? any aftermarket or cheaper replacement alternatives to pulling my pants down to the dealerships?!

clio 172 cup
im in the same boat lad. is this the part no. 8200220384 ? the long hose that runs around the gearbox from the front to the back?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Look at it as a blessing, leave it as it is, remove everything power-steering related you don't need, get stronger arms, gain 10 bhp.

That's what I did.

100_4400.jpg

im in the same boat lad. is this the part no. 8200220384 ? the long hose that runs around the gearbox from the front to the back?

yes mate its the ower one which is the high pressure hose, im just glad it failed on me around the industrial esate rather than on a road. just gave up and peed out everywhere, just made a call to my mate to take itoff tonight and im taking it to pertek in stockton for them to workther magic hopefully be about £90 and mates labour taking it off and putting it back for beer tokens :D! fingers crossed its only in one place that its broken!

Look at it as a blessing, leave it as it is, remove everything power-steering related you don't need, get stronger arms, gain 10 bhp.

That's what I did.

100_4400.jpg

really? did u remove anything else aswell or just pas itself!? for me living without pas would be a nightmare, only after 10mph would it be easier to drive i think?

DMS

A thirsty 172
@ MarkCup...

What's it like to drive without the PAS? Do you get more feedback from the road for example?

Don't get running it much with the broken hose or you'll be after a new pump too!

i had to reverse it 15 yards into the lock up and the noise the pump made was painfull! but the car had to be stored away, going to take it off tomorow mprning and hopefulyl have it repaired with new fixings and metal tubing by tomorow and have it all back up and running by tomorow noon fingers crossed!;)

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
really? did u remove anything else aswell or just pas itself!? for me living without pas would be a nightmare, only after 10mph would it be easier to drive i think?

You need to remove everything, Pas pump pipes the lot, you even need to change the steering rack to a Clio Dci rack, which has a 2 turn lock-lock system.

Iv done the same as mark, and its allright on the road, just revere parking ia a pain but you forget about it tbh,

right yesterday morning up at 6am to start work down at the unit on the car, alongside taking of the high pressure hose i found out that one of the previous owners must have replaced it but not bolted it to the bracket so it was free to flap about and sit on the drive shaft causing it to grind away slowly untill somthing the size of a pin prick caused all my fluid to piss out within 10 mins!! so removed that and found out thers been some other poking about its had a new/reconditioned box in!
so anyway off to get it repaired in the end costing me £35 quid!!! to get the whole thing fixed all the rubber hoses uprated, on picking it up within the hour of delivering it, its a 2 piece item with far superior hoses rated to 300 bar? excuse me if its psi sorry. and its much more flexible making it easier refit and thread it though the arqward tight working space.

Last edited:
  clio 172 cup
what did you need to do to remove the pipe? is it a big job? how long did it take you? i am quite capable but im lazy.

what did you need to do to remove the pipe? is it a big job? how long did it take you? i am quite capable but im lazy.

alot of scratched knuckles and trapped fingers..

took 2 hours to remove it maybe 3 on your own because it is a very very tight space to work in and its more of a ballache and patience job than technical and hard, might take you abit longer to refit it but once you know where to refit the pipes its all patience trying to finger them into place and finger tighten them before getting the spanners on them

well assuming you know what it looks like and where it is more or less ul be able to see it when you remove the wheel, get the car jacked up or get it on axle stands, take the front passenger side wheel off, makes for 'easier' access to the pipe remove tie bar i found made it easier again.

thers a pipe that runs from the bulkhead then down around the bottom of the engine still on on the passenger side visible through the wheel arch, follow it along and itl run along the front of your engine still at the bottom and then finally end near the underside of your alternator..

dissconect the pipe from the near the bulkhead end and let it drain out into somthing, then trace the pipe along to the other end is, dissconect from other end and CAREFULLY pull it through and out the engine bay from the underside saves the splashes of oil getting on your car, better they drip on the floor adn away from the car

go on google and search for pirtek and find the one closest to you and theyl repair it for you within the hour:D but ask if they can make it into 2 pieces so its easier to remove and refit in future..

i really hope this helps and it wasnt just a well 'duh' moment, makes it harder without pictures..

Last edited:
  clio 172 cup
Hello, Thank you, will fix it on friday. :approve: saved my self £200 for the pipe and i quote £350 to fit by stealership. a nice £550 saving.

pirtek are very good and highly recomended, but i went local and had a custom one knoked up, and fitted it down at the unit, took about 2 hours as its a tight squeeze and first time id had to replace one.