ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 CUP SERIOUS NON STARTING ISSUES, ECU PROBLEMS? PLEASE HELP

172 CUP
Yes i know its been covered on here before but bare with me, ive searched the web for weeks but no luck.
Ive just bought myself a 53reg 172 cup with a suspected immobiliser issue that has been sat since june 2010, done some research before i picked it up and all the symptoms pointed towards either dodgy TDC sensor, key fob battery, relays etc.
Anyway got the car home and battery charged, ordered a new TDC sensor and loom, key fob battery, and the 2 small black rectangular relays all from Renault and a K-TEC diagnostics tool thinking yeah this will sort it, how stupid of me thinking that.
2 weeks on and countless hours with either my head under the bonnet or sat on the laptop searching the web for a solution i can officially say im stuffed for ideas.
Problems are as follows:
The key locks and unlocks the car, key in ignition and immobiliser light stops flashing and stays off also as it should, cannot hear the fuel pump at all with ignition on, car turns over but nothing more. Diagnostics doesnt pick up any faults. Checked yesterday and theres not only any fuel but also no spark. We had the inlet mani off disconnected various sensors on the mani and tried the diagnostics again with these sensors disconnected and it didnt pick up any issues?! when surely it should of?
Also checked the fuel pump by plugging it into a 182 we had in at work and worked fine.
So im thinking the ECU is fooked? If this is the case is there anyone or anyway they can check the ecu is dead of dying?
Sorry for the long winded explenation and thanks in advance for any replys.

Golf GTD Mk7
I presume he's on about the kill switch, but they're only on the ph1. The ktec code reader has limited diagnostics mate. Hard to tell unless you're local to me, but it sounds loom related, and a lack of comunication. Have you tried all the relays?

172 CUP
Thanks for the replys, yeah i saw that its just the phase 1 that has the inertia switch and the phase 2 has it buit into the airbag ecu or somthing along those lines. Yeah all relays checked.
Ive just bought a cup ecu, the black box, decoder ring, key, door lock and fuel cap set so hopefully this should sort it as im thinking it has brain damage.
Thanks again for your helpfull replies.

Golf GTD Mk7
Thanks for the replys, yeah i saw that its just the phase 1 that has the inertia switch and the phase 2 has it buit into the airbag ecu or somthing along those lines. Yeah all relays checked.
Ive just bought a cup ecu, the black box, decoder ring, key, door lock and fuel cap set so hopefully this should sort it as im thinking it has brain damage.
Thanks again for your helpfull replies.

I'll be surprised if that sorts it, but worth a go mate. You can always sell them on if suppose.

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
have you checked the earths and feeds are all correct ?
as been said already , i would say its the switching feed to the actuator relay , probably has a volt drop , or another fault in the loom , are the most likely causes.

CLIO 172
Hmmm ok.
Inside the left wing is a canister with the tube going up into the top of the rocker box. This has a habit of snapping its top off. Result ? Won't tick over above 2000 rpm or in my case won't start . See a breakers yard £20