ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 CUP, SPEEDO NEEDLE UP & DOWN

Clio 172 Cup
Was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and could have a good guess as to the cause?

Picked up my first clio last thursday, had been driving great until I had a 200 mile round trip and in the first 5 miles of motorway driving (doing around 70 ;)) the speedo needle dropped to zero and there was a surge of power which jolted the car backwards and forwards for a split second but the car kept on going at speed. the needle returned to normal after around 10 seconds, the rest of the journey went by without incident until the return journey where it happened again for around 15 minutes with the speedo needle all over the place and kangarooing. I dropped it into my garage on the way back from my journey and they had it on a diagnostic machine that brought up a fault saying possibly the oxygen sensor. I had had no warning light come on at any time and once the codes had been cleared and the car was driven again and checked there were no faults to be found. Any ideas people?

thanks for your time.

Megane dci 130
It will be the speedo transducer. Its situated on the differential casing around the back.

Around £20 iirc. :)

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks mate, I will have a word with my garage. Just having some major work on the car as its 6 years old (cambelt, auxilary etc etc - just for piece of mind!), whats another £20 on top of all that :)

172 cup
I've got the same problem - ordered the speedo transducer and should be here tomorrow.

How easy is it to fit?

Any help appreciated, cheers!