ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Steps Out

172 Cup
Unfortunately I had to take the missus to work early this morning, so nice empty roads but unfortunately it was a bit damp :(

Anyway, I was tootling around and came to a large round about, I went round it pretty slowly and smoothly in 3rd gear and the back end suddenly stepped out :eek: Follow lot's of expletives from the passanger!
No aggressive or even remotely fast driving involved, obviously a bit of oppo cured it and kept me going (sideways), so it was all fun and games :approve:

If the road had been busy it could have been a different story :( So I am just wondering, is this a common occurance on the Cups?

Matt

p.s. I have Michelin Exaltos on the front and Federal (Never had any experience of these, but bought the car with them on) on the back.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Search for "Cup" and "Bush ;)

The back ends on the Cups and even the 172/182's were always twitchy.. I got caught out on a roundabout doing about 20mph.... counter steered it like a rally hero but scared the s**t outa me lol.. couldn't believe it just let go at normal driving speeds !

Thankfully the 197 is totally different... the car just sticks and has very neutral handling..

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Cups in general are more twitchy as they're lighter.

I had this happen to me once on a damp roundabout, i was only going about 25mph, and the back stepped out. Not a nice experience :(

172 Cup
Yeh I did do a small wee when it first lost grip, once in to the slide it was fund though :cool:

I think that my car will be driven extremely slow in the wet from now on.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Put some decent tyres on the back.

Having grip on the front and none on the rear is a bad thing in a FWD car.

1998 BMW e46 323i
get some decent tyres on the back, if they're not decent already, and maybe some weight in the boot. I've only ever lost the back end once on gravel, it's rock solid I've found in 4yrs and 70k.

alien green rs133
adding weight to the back also helps. i have steel lpg tank in the boot aswell as a spare wheel and it makes the back end behave better:D

Black Gold Trophy
common of all fwd hatchbacks really, light rear end means that it will easily step out with enough inertia, you may want to some different tyre pressures on the rear

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Flol. Get some decent rubber on the back. And double lol at the 1*2's being twitchy. 205gti, 306rallye, those cars have a twitchy back end. The 1*2's, you can take silly liberties with.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I must say in all the nobby driving, all the hooligan track days i've done, i've never had a clio step out on me.

306 Gti6 yes, Rover 220t Coupe yes, Metro Gti yes but never a Clio!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I must say in all the nobby driving, all the hooligan track days i've done, i've never had a clio step out on me.

306 Gti6 yes, Rover 220t Coupe yes, Metro Gti yes but never a Clio!
And when repeating that story, I bet you have a massive grin!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Put some decent tyres on the back.

Having grip on the front and none on the rear is a bad thing in a FWD car.

It was the Federals.

Yup.

Federals - cheap nasty sh*te.
Michelin Exaltos - one of the best you can get

Your car is so out of balance grip wise because of this that whenever it's wet you're at risk of this happening. get the Federals binned, or replace the Michelins with some for some all round slip-slidy fun.

172 Cup
common of all fwd hatchbacks really, light rear end means that it will easily step out with enough inertia, you may want to some different tyre pressures on the rear

What are you running on the back?

Might just go for new tyres all round I reckon. I am hoping it isn't the shocks as it grips perfectly in the dry :)

172 Cup
Yup.

Federals - cheap nasty sh*te.
Michelin Exaltos - one of the best you can get

Your car is so out of balance grip wise because of this that whenever it's wet you're at risk of this happening. get the Federals binned, or replace the Michelins with some for some all round slip-slidy fun.

4 wheel drifts with the Federals all round :rasp:

TBH I had never heard of Federal tryes before, but I guessed they were ditch finders.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Flol. Get some decent rubber on the back. And double lol at the 1*2's being twitchy. 205gti, 306rallye, those cars have a twitchy back end. The 1*2's, you can take silly liberties with.

I call bulls**t on that.. having owned 2 x 205 GTi's a 172, a 182, and now a 197.

The 205 GTi handled like it was on rails. The 172/182 does not !

Vacant response, excess body roll through the corners, back end randomly stepping out especially in the wet if you are not careful. Don't get me wrong, the handling is better than most other cars but to put the handling of the 172/182 in the same class as the 205 GTi and the 197 is a joke. And just for the record i'm talking standard here.. even down to the standard conti's on the 172 and the exalto's on the 182.

172 Cup
So the handling on the 205 GTI really is that good?! I think I need to get my self one of them next :(

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I call bulls**t on that.. having owned 2 x 205 GTi's a 172, a 182, and now a 197.

The 205 GTi handled like it was on rails. The 172/182 does not !

Vacant response, excess body roll through the corners, back end randomly stepping out especially in the wet if you are not careful. Don't get me wrong, the handling is better than most other cars but to put the handling of the 172/182 in the same class as the 205 GTi and the 197 is a joke. And just for the record i'm talking standard here.. even down to the standard conti's on the 172 and the exalto's on the 182.
Erm, not sure where I put the 172's handling in the same bracket as the 205?

Just checked, I didn't. Plank.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Biggest load of tosh. Are you seriously saying that the 172 has a livlier back end than a 205? And how does me saying the 205 has a twitchy back end, indicate that I'm saying the 172 handles better? The lively back end of the 306/205 is what makes them such great handling cars. Madness.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Yes, I am seriously saying that the 205 GTi i owned and drove on a daily basis for 3-4 years never once stepped out on me.

In comparison the 172/182 I drove daily for 5 years stepped out a number of times, one of which was a big roundabout I was doing 20-25mph round. Luckily it was about 2am and nothing else was around me.

As said previously, give the rear shocks a check for leaking etc. My previous Cup use to randomly try to swap ends even at low speeds. Scared the s**t out of me the 1st time it did it lol. This Cup I have now feels fairly steady at the rear although it does get abit twitchy when driving spiritedly ;)

Biggest load of tosh. Are you seriously saying that the 172 has a livlier back end than a 205? And how does me saying the 205 has a twitchy back end, indicate that I'm saying the 172 handles better? The lively back end of the 306/205 is what makes them such great handling cars. Madness.
+1

182, SQ7, Trafic
I pile into big roundabouts and let off just so my back end goes out and I get a little drift on! I like the danger of spinning ;) haha!

Tav

Clio 197
Could be any number of things....maybe it's a slippy round about. We have one here that when wet anything over 15mph results in epic understeer...or oversteer...or a full 4 wheel drift. If it's ok on other round abouts/corners I wouldn't worry about it.

I would get rid of the budget rear tyres though.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Yeah I'd say tyres, was in a mates trophy with s**t tyres on the rear that did the same. Or could have been something on the road, diesel etc.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Just read back, I had a 205 gti and that was very back end happy. If you drove round a corner at speed and broke hard your playing a dangerous game, in a cup you can brake as hard as ya like and it sticks. Just my experience though.

ibiza cupra
i had mine step out on me about a year ago. spun out on an island and i wasnt doing silly speeds, bout 20mph. cost a bloody fortune to put right too lol