ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Steps Out

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I would def say tyres...if you don't wanna change them yet then swap the crap ones to the front. Car won't be as fun, but you will understeer in the wet instead of stepping out. (this is what i am doing at the mo til new tyres when student loan arrives).

Also as said before give all the rear shocks etc a check. I had a 306 (non-gti) but still great fun, but it never stepped out until it was asked to. Then one day after a visit to kwik s**t (which was my first mistake) it all changed and it was almost un-drivable in the wet and felt weird in the dry. Turns out one of the rear callipers had locked on. To be fair not necessarily kwik s***s fault, but when i questioned them they said they knew it had but hoped it would be okay anyway??????

can't believe people think Cups are twitchier than 205s - they handle completely differently; Cup's practically unstickable compared with a 205 (still haven't had mine moving, except whilst braking deep). maybe there's something going on with the individual cars being compared?

anyway, already suggested, but would probably start by looking at rear dampers on OP's car

ed. re-reading, try swapping the Michelins onto the back, see what that does

172 Cup
I would def say tyres...if you don't wanna change them yet then swap the crap ones to the front. Car won't be as fun, but you will understeer in the wet instead of stepping out. (this is what i am doing at the mo til new tyres when student loan arrives).

Also as said before give all the rear shocks etc a check. I had a 306 (non-gti) but still great fun, but it never stepped out until it was asked to. Then one day after a visit to kwik s**t (which was my first mistake) it all changed and it was almost un-drivable in the wet and felt weird in the dry. Turns out one of the rear callipers had locked on. To be fair not necessarily kwik s**ts fault, but when i questioned them they said they knew it had but hoped it would be okay anyway??????

Kwik sh*t are shocking and that is a disgusting example.

I feel sorry for people who don't have an interest in cars and use them, they are worse than the banks!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
The fact most 205 gti's found a hedge pretty much tells the story. 172 cup by far has more grip but equal amount find hedges or fields. (Ahem) : (.

182 trophy
in my opinion somebody probably put the federal family killers on just to sell the motor if you have any clue about cars buy some decent rubber its the only thing that keeps it on the road at the end of the day.better to be skint than dead

It'll be the pishy tyres on the back's fault. I even experienced it in my 1.2 when I had crappy kumhos on the back and toyos on the front. Baffles me why anyone would put cheap tyres on an RS!

172 & bmw 320 ci
This happened to me today,horirble feeling! Got a good bit of opposite lock on the go and was ok luckily. think i may change my pants scodo tires on the back soon!

Ph1 172; MX5
To be honest, I've only ever got the arse of my 172 out when provoked, and I've had a 106GTi and a 205 1.9, both of which were twitchier, not to mention tired.

On the road, even under heavy trailbraking or abrupt lifting off the 172 won't go and even on track, unless you hack at the wheel lifting simultaneously it just about lets out. I would suggest matching tyres, discs & pads, shocks and then bushings, failing that the car took a big smack at some point or you're not able to balance the car on the throttle properly and are prone to lifting off abruptly in which case you'll lose most things, not just RS Clios.

Not sure I'd rate the 197s higher either, they are a superbly planted machine but lack that nth degree of driver involvement that can tell you the gender of the fieldmouse you just ran over coupled with chassis feedback not normally found in something so small.

Clio 172 Cup!
Just go back to the roundabout and do again and again till you are at ease with it!;) or go to a empty car park or track day. Lift off over steer is one of the joys of hot hatch fun! Try Driving a Rwd 330 Bhp 425 Nm's Scooby Type Ra round Rain snow or ice;) The thing used too light the wheels up at 80-90 just coming on to boost in the wet lol bit scary at first but grate fun when you are used to it! Once you learn your limits of going side ways it will make you a safer driver because when it does step out you will just deal with it like a pro! :cool:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive not had time to read the full thread but shite tyres shouldnt step out on you like that, its the rear dampers leaking i put £100 on it! i had it happen to me on a greezy roundabout with Eagle F1's all round

Clio 172 Cup
To be honest based on what you say about the speed you were doing on the roundabout it does more sound like there was a bit of diesel or something on the tarmac, even with cheap rear tyres or mis-matched grip you shouldn't be experiencing that level of rear end action without some heavy right foot driving or weight tranfer induced back end movement from heavy braking and turning at the same time.

Personally I found the my 172 Cup to be very twitchy in the wet, it was running on new Toyo T1-R's all round - definately needed caution unless you were in the mood for some fun.

Never driven a 205 GTi so no comment on the comparisons haha.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
My rear end came out when trying to tripod on the way home the other day, epic fail and sideways action. I blame the dire rear tyres that came on my wheels! Need to change those in the new year!!

b/g 182, meg tourer
put the exaltos on the back and the federals on the front. thats your problem. best rubber always on the back unless you want to go sideways in the wet. or even better, buy 2 more exaltos.
i had t1-r's on the back and falkens on the front for 6 weeks... it was fun to say the least. lol.