ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup suspension?

172 cup
hi ive only just got my clio so just a question about suspension. I may be wrong but i believe that the 172 cup comes with sports suspension as standard?? am i correct? and if so how much lower is it to manufactures standard suspension setup, i want to get some new springs but i dont want to buy -40 and find out its not any lower. any sugestions? any help appreciated :)

Lionel Richie
3mm yes 3mm

different spring rate, go for GOOD springs otherwise you'll ruin it, Sportlines or Prolines from Eibach

172 cup
3mm yes 3mm

different spring rate, go for GOOD springs otherwise you'll ruin it, Sportlines or Prolines from Eibach

Does a different spring rate make a different of the height? mines looks lower than 3mm unless it has allready been lowered but i was told everything was standard when i bought it. what are Apex springs like any good or crap?

Clio 172mk2
yer car should look 3mm lower then a standard 172. it will look lower then any other clio non-sport.

if it looks lower then a normal sport by more then 3mm, might have diff springs already.

as fred said eibach would be better suited

225 Cup & Williams
yer car should look 3mm lower then a standard 172. it will look lower then any other clio non-sport.

if it looks lower then a normal sport by more then 3mm, might have diff springs already.

as fred said eibach would be better suited

You won't notice it being 3mm lower.

172 cup
it will look lower then any other clio non-sport.

This is what i was meaning in the first place how much lower is the cup to a non sport model? i was looking at springs and it said it was a drop of 40mm from maufactures standard suspesion but if manufactures sports suspension was fitted it might not be the same drop?? Thanks

Have a look at the rear springs, easy done looking from back, if they are black they are standard or eibach prolines, so you will need to look closer for the eibach logo or two coloured paint marks.

Edit: 'non-sport' springs won't fit a 172, cup or not.

172 cup
They are black so im guessing they are standard. So when the springs refer to -40 does that mean it is -40 from what im running now or -40 from a non sport spring. im just abit confused sorry for all the questions.

They are black so im guessing they are standard. So when the springs refer to -40 does that mean it is -40 from what im running now or -40 from a non sport spring. im just abit confused sorry for all the questions.

Non-sport suspension doesn't fit 172s

MX5 Elise111s
I don't want to hijack this thread but I also have a similar question. I have a 172 Cup which I have now used for 4 track days. As far as I am aware it has standard Cup suspension. It goes well but the outside edge ofthe front tyres is wearing badly and I have been told I need to add negative camber. So I was thinking of getting Eibach camber adjusters. Are these worthwhile?

I do not intend doing a lot of mods all at once as I would prefer to do one then try it out then perhaps progress to the next stage such as an ARB, then maybe try stiffer springs such as the Eibachs mentioned in this thread or even coilovers. Any recommendations as to the best value for money mods to gain track time (and before any one suggests it I do have access to a good instructor)?

Approximate costs?

Thanks

Ken