ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Track/Fast Road car.

i flicked back through a few pages and seen you want an ep3? do some research on their handling for a track car before you buy one is my advice. they hate being lowered and are not the best chassis for a track car when you start upping the specs. even japanese tuneres struggle to make a good race car out of them

One of my best mates has a modded EP3 and it's loads quicker than me on track.
They do have a very good chassis in my opinion - they're just very soft as standard.

What's next then? Surprised it went so quick!

At the moment a DC5 is looking top of the list as it ticks all the boxes. Fun every day, comfy, can have a stereo again and lug all my camera gear to BTCC events etc.. but can also chuck it about Cadwell occasionally

I dunno though, evo 8, ek9, impreza p1, m3 - there's loads in my price brackets so just gonna sit on the cash for a few months and see what pops up.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No mine neither, could afford to build one if I stripped the clios I expect, but its the running costs that would stop me doing as many trackdays which means I'd sooner stay playing around with mickey mouse FWD stuff that I can afford to use 20 times a year on track etc.

Its all a balancing act.

Yeah the running costs of the M3's are horrific.

I've got an insanely long list at the moment - Golf R32, Mazda 3 MPS, 350Z etc...

There's so many cars out their for the money
Gonna see if I can test drive a few over the next month or so and see what I fall in love with

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
There's so many cars out their for the money
Gonna see if I can test drive a few over the next month or so and see what I fall in love with

That's your best bet! Doesn't have to be the quickest, just something you can really connect with.

When I was looking there were no cars close enough to have good drive of, so I bought the Ph1 blind. Enjoying it and it'll give me a couple of years of fun.

One of my best mates has a modded EP3 and it's loads quicker than me on track.
They do have a very good chassis in my opinion - they're just very soft as standard.

it cant be standard power then or it should have no chance.my brother has one track prepared and we have been trying to get it to handle better.its on tein coilovers. they suck when lowered unless you run buddy club ball joints to correct roll centre. so far we cant get it to lap as quick as my track st170 and im standard power. all the research iv done has pointed out they are not good track cars. watch japanese tuners on youtube in the touge battles or time attack and ep3s are rare as they suck. its a known fact

I have no idea what you've done to that EP3 - but I used to play with ST170's in my 106 gti

The EP3 with a good track setup on the suspension is a bloody quick car.
His has an m-factory diff, and is chucking out about 240bhp - I could never keep up with it in my stripped track throttle bodied clio.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
i flicked back through a few pages and seen you want an ep3? do some research on their handling for a track car before you buy one is my advice. they hate being lowered and are not the best chassis for a track car when you start upping the specs. even japanese tuneres struggle to make a good race car out of them
I'd disagree somewhat... they are an extremely capable track car with a few tweaks. Admittedly it can get quite expensive to 'get it there' but they handle beautifully if setup properly (and maybe the steering is changed so as to offer more feedback). They aren't as easy to drive out the box as the RenaultSport Clio but they are far from bad; even in standard form. I don't think they suck at all. Fit LSD, slightly alter brake bias (on a track car), some chassis stiffening, decent geometry setup on good rubber, get familiar with the twitchy backend (a lot of which can be dialled out with correct setup) and it's not such a bad car to venture out on track with. :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
What you meant to say was how much did you get for it! ;)

Interested to know the value of a good track car myself too Mark?
No mate not at all! The new owners got himself a good car.

I'd sell mine as is with a full spares package including engine, box, wheels and 888's, 2 lots of suspension and the R3 kit for 7.5k! Sadly I don't think I'd get any takers Morgan! Lol

I have no idea what you've done to that EP3 - but I used to play with ST170's in my 106 gti

The EP3 with a good track setup on the suspension is a bloody quick car.
His has an m-factory diff, and is chucking out about 240bhp - I could never keep up with it in my stripped track throttle bodied clio.

240bhp makes sense. its the power that got you not the chassis. unless your 106 was bodied it would not fare so well against mine.

I'd disagree somewhat... they are an extremely capable track car with a few tweaks. Admittedly it can get quite expensive to 'get it there' but they handle beautifully if setup properly (and maybe the steering is changed so as to offer more feedback). They aren't as easy to drive out the box as the RenaultSport Clio but they are far from bad; even in standard form. I don't think they suck at all. Fit LSD, slightly alter brake bias (on a track car), some chassis stiffening, decent geometry setup on good rubber, get familiar with the twitchy backend (a lot of which can be dialled out with correct setup) and it's not such a bad car to venture out on track with. :)

yes they are capable and are good fun cars if you really like them. take the engine away though and theres nothing special at all. the electric power steering is aweful i hate it..my brothers doesnt have a lsd though admittedly but neither do clios or my focus. tune a focus suspension and it rewards you. the ep3 has fought us and its not as easy.

The ek9 is a much better chassis

Last edited:
Ahh cool

He was listing the bits he was buying this week to me, cmcomposites roof scoop and brake ducts, perspex windows, gripper diff, cams, etc....
It was quite depressing as it matched the list that's been on my garage wall for about a year lol

I'm happy though that it's gone somewhere where it will be finished properly and raced rather than broken for parts.

Aye.. It was a hard decision but I owned the car for 4 years, and in the last 2 years done less than 6k in her

She's absolutely the best track car I've ever driven but I'm just at a place in my life where I want to do more 'ring trips and hang out with mates at weekends in the moors and go on blasts to the sea side with my misses and the clio left me deaf and numb every time.

I can't shake the fact that a DC5 or even an EP3 Type R would be 90% as fun on track but usable every weekend/night too.

Aye.. It was a hard decision but I owned the car for 4 years, and in the last 2 years done less than 6k in her

She's absolutely the best track car I've ever driven but I'm just at a place in my life where I want to do more 'ring trips and hang out with mates at weekends in the moors and go on blasts to the sea side with my misses and the clio left me deaf and numb every time.

I can't shake the fact that a DC5 or even an EP3 Type R would be 90% as fun on track but usable every weekend/night too.

The Clio would have been very usable if you had just got a decent exhaust lol and maybe some comfy Recaros.

Maybe if I'd got a quieter exhaust, and maybe if I'd replaced the buckets with recaros, and maybe if I'd stopped the dashboard rattling, and maybe fitted a stereo.... lol
But on the other hand I could have thrown £2-3k at doing all that and still not liked driving it on the road.

It was a fantastic track car near the end, the new geo and suspension offered tons of grip and the engine pulls well. I (think) I'm happier with someone else finishing what I started rather than going backwards.

To be fair I could buy an RB 182 this week as a daily car if I wanted to