ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 CUP TYRES !

Titanium ph1 turbo

ok, ive covered about 16500 miles in my cup since new, and I think my front tyres (maybe all tyres) need replacing as the car seems to have really sh*t grip now. I darnt accelerate round a corner or it goes in a straight line...

Anyway, what tyres should I be looking at as replacements, and roughly how much ?

Is there a cheap option (e.g. 195/50s) as Im currently out of work....

cheers.

I bought Uniroyal Rainsports from mytyres.co.uk. They are an ok budget tyre, really good in the wet and not bad in the dry, but there are a few sacrifices. The main one being soft sidewalls. They have this wierd trait at motorway speeds that they feel realy sloppy compared to the Contis. If you try to do a fairly quick lane change they feel really sloppy. They are a fairly soft compound so youll go through them a bit quicker too. although im surprised you got 16k out of the contis, i managed 9k, and some on here have managed less. Have you taken it out of first?? ;)

Toyo proxies are meant to be ok, but hear they arent to great in the wet, but good in the dry.

Ziel Nurburgring

By far the best tyres at the moment are the mich PE2s (pilot exaltos). Std size the cars come with are 195s which are £68 each or the ones the 182s come with (205s) which are £80something each. Both on mytyres.co.uk

16K must have meant you had really bald shoulders and no wonder the handling in corners was crap, got through mine in about 8-9K.

Ian

Renault Sport clio 1

i need new tyres on my 172 as there getting close to be illegal and i poping up North to xmas thing on Sunday and dont want to risk anything?

I got quoted 81 quid each all fitted for the PE2s, is this good??

I found the Contis good in the wet when new but now there getting crap!
Will i notice a difference between the Contis and the PE2s?

Ziel Nurburgring

On a deserted road, in the middle of the countryside, where you can see whats coming for miles and miles, i found that when you really push the PE2s, they hold on far longer than the contis ever did.

£81 inc fitting is a great price. Is that 195 or 205s?

Renault Sport clio 1

195/45/16 v

I will go for these then!

I will get the back ones done after xmas!

These are the tyres with the stronger side walls??

Mercedes AMG GLE 53

I went up to 205s on my Mk 2 172 as a result of someones suggestion on here.

I know your short of cash but it made hell of a difference to the handling.

Dave

Chris there are wear indicators in the tread so that you can see just how worn your tyres are, they are about 1/4" long and can be seen at the "root" of the tread yeah :cool: they are set at the 1.6mm and are at regular intervals all the way round the tread..............just have a look eh ;)

It could just be tyre pressures?

Cya Stu

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

If youve got Uniroyals on, add a few PSI.. it does wonders for the soft sidewall problems.

Liquid yellow R26 F1

Thats interesting about the PE2s.. got a quote for them at Costco on saturday... £68 each.. im confused now, as i was gonna get Contis again.. what is the side wall flex like in comparison to the Contis..?

I hope peeps are paying attension........we wouldnt want any problems eh.

Cya Stu

PS and I want to get my post count up to 500.