ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup vs focus rs vid!

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
that bloke in the frs was a c**k. wouldnt move over at all. shame tho, the clio looked quicker. suprisingly.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I think that the guy/girl in the FRS wasn't that good a driver, hence why the cup was all over the back of it. I am a cup owner, and I think if the FRS was being driven by the guy who was driving the cup, after a couple of laps to get used to the car, he'd have left the cup further behind than it was...

PS. Cups Rule! :)

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
Yeah defo better driver in the cup, although spec wise 0-100 theres f all in it between cup and FRS? just shows to all you Clio vs anyother car down to driver not that your car there car is spec wise faster?

if anything the Focus is far quicker as the Cup driver was clearly light years ahead in skill, look at the lines they both take and it's pretty obvious the Focus is quicker as he's entering and exiting the corners much slower.

Mk1 V6 Import
What? Are you blind....theres nothing in it...he didn't have to move over because he was equidistant in front the entire time....the cup was in no position to overtake out of the corners or on the straights...

The only reason he got in front was because the elise blocked the focus on the last exit...

Specsavers anyone?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
LOL - nothing in it...are you blind?

The Elise did not, as you say, block the Focus on the last exit, the Elise moved over to let me and the Focus past as we were both clearly quicker than it was...and then finally, after 5 laps of me being sat on his arse, the Focus also did the decent thing and moved over to let me on my way.

If you watch the clip again you'll see that there were several times when I had enough of a run out of the corners to get past...and I could have easily outbraked him as he was early on the brakes everywhere.

But as on most trackdays, overtaking is by consent only, and I just had to sit there while he satisfied his ego by not letting a clearly faster car past. Had I pushed past, I may well have been black flagged and booted off track.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Tim, obviously you must be new to all this car stuff, otherwise you'd realise the amount of power needed to overcome someone who has the run on you... I'll watch the vid again when I get home, as I cant have the sound on too loud at work, but from what I saw the Cup was driven properly and the only reason the Focus didn't get blasted past was because of the straightline power...

Either way the FRS driver was a prick, reminds me of the t**t that went on the track day I did who overtook my car with the most shady of moves then held us up for the next few laps before pulling into the pits with his tail between his legs... as for Elise drivers dont get me started on them...

Tim Lennox said:
What? Are you blind....theres nothing in it...he didn't have to move over because he was equidistant in front the entire time....the cup was in no position to overtake out of the corners or on the straights...

The only reason he got in front was because the elise blocked the focus on the last exit...

Specsavers anyone?

^^^^^^^^lol focus driver was defo inexperienced m8 , do agree the focus had him all the way :star:

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
Watching the vid reminded me of the old days when I had a FRS. That guy was braking way too early for the corners. The brakes on the FRS can stop you from 100mph to 0 in 4.1 seconds with no fade at all. I tried and got it to about 4.5 seconds on the watch, plus my eyes were almost pushed out their sockets! The FRS also has alot more power out of the corners with the quaife differential and extra torque. If there was a decent driver behind the wheel, the cup would stand no chance of keeping up.

GazCB said:
So why did you get rid of your FRS for a 182 cup? :p

It was to save on fuel, I do 40 miles a day round trip from work and was putting £50 of optimax in every 4 to 5 days.:banghead: The car only averaged about 15 mpg with 300bhp. It was not much better as standard. I had to choose, buy a banger and keep the RS. Or change the RS and buy a smaller car that is still quick and fun to drive, plus better mpg. As the RS had only 1 month of warranty left, I chose to sell it. I do miss the noise from turbo and the wastegate chatter!!:race: But I think I made the right move. Anyhow, I'm getting 35mpg in the 182 and have had no problems with it so far. ( I perhaps shouldnt have said the last bit should I. Tempting fate!)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
TheJesus said:
Tim, obviously you must be new to all this car stuff, otherwise you'd realise the amount of power needed to overcome someone who has the run on you... I'll watch the vid again when I get home, as I cant have the sound on too loud at work, but from what I saw the Cup was driven properly and the only reason the Focus didn't get blasted past was because of the straightline power...

Either way the FRS driver was a prick, reminds me of the tw*t that went on the track day I did who overtook my car with the most shady of moves then held us up for the next few laps before pulling into the pits with his tail between his legs... as for Elise drivers dont get me started on them...

Mmmmm im confused i though you were driving the FRS.....:rasp: :clown:

If that was me, the cup would have been getting smaller in my rear view mirror! Plus I would be worried by the white smoke from the exhaust. New turbo on the way me thinks!!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
inferno cup said:
If that was me, the cup would have been getting smaller in my rear view mirror! Plus I would be worried by the white smoke from the exhaust. New turbo on the way me thinks!!

Really......that cup on trackday tyres will be quicker than a focus on road tyres.

Both on road tyres would wouldnt leave it thats for sure...

130i, 306 hdi, vrs
That smoke was probaly just over run , the cars been mapped like that my old coosie did it , if you look agian its only when he is off the gas .
well done to mark cup nice bit of driving .

EVOgone said:
Really......that cup on trackday tyres will be quicker than a focus on road tyres.

Both on road tyres would wouldnt leave it thats for sure...

I have no doubt that normally would be true. But had that have been me in my old FRS. There would have been no chance. It was 300 bhp and 347lbs of torque on a hybrid turbo and a few other choice mods.
Put it this way, from about 30 mph upwards, my mates very very nice Evo FQ 340 stuggled to keep up!! We all know how quick they are!! The 340 had better traction from the line, but once my FRS was going, boy did it go!! You could put it in third at 30 mph and floor it all the way up to 90ish mph, pulling very hard. You could not lean forward in the car it was that violent. That is without changing gear and the Clio would be messing about between second, third and possibly fourth. I know the 172 is a very quick car and very under estimated. But I still rate the FRS as one of the best handling cars out there.

If you mean standard against standard. Then I would agree that they would be neck and neck.

Sorry to bang on about my FRS. Its just an awesome car and I am sad to have let it go. But I have got a very nice 182 cup to bang on about now. But I did see a very nice Megane Trophy with huge 19's wheels in inferno today. Tempting:evil:

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
inferno cup said:
I have no doubt that normally would be true. But had that have been me in my old FRS. There would have been no chance. It was 300 bhp and 347lbs of torque on a hybrid turbo and a few other choice mods.
Put it this way, from about 30 mph upwards, my mates very very nice Evo FQ 340 stuggled to keep up!! We all know how quick they are!! The 340 had better traction from the line, but once my FRS was going, boy did it go!! You could put it in third at 30 mph and floor it all the way up to 90ish mph, pulling very hard. You could not lean forward in the car it was that violent. That is without changing gear and the Clio would be messing about between second, third and possibly fourth. I know the 172 is a very quick car and very under estimated. But I still rate the FRS as one of the best handling cars out there.

If you mean standard against standard. Then I would agree that they would be neck and neck.

Sorry to bang on about my FRS. Its just an awesome car and I am sad to have let it go. But I have got a very nice 182 cup to bang on about now. But I did see a very nice Megane Trophy with huge 19's wheels in inferno today. Tempting:evil:

lol - well you will never find out just cause your car "had" big hp never underestimate driver ability...! Which you "may" well be doing.

Regards to your "old" FRS the MR340 would muller it round the track...Plus it will probabley be smoking like that one on the vid... You dont map blue smoke its will be blow-by (too much boost) or worn vave guides / seals...

The FRS engine is not reliable TBH and it had load of failures during development and Dyno testing it at Tickford (shockly poor job), Prodrive(picked up the pieces) and at Garrett "were i work"...usually engine vibration causing failure at std hp's. The engine component margins are not there for 280+....

An FRS with the new 5cylinder would be at the the top of my list though.

Liquid yellow R26 F1
Mark.. I recon the Focus was running on 2 Cylinders..:D and you could see he had a much better line than your good self...

Megane 225 Cup
MarkCup said:
LOL - nothing in it...are you blind?

The Elise did not, as you say, block the Focus on the last exit, the Elise moved over to let me and the Focus past as we were both clearly quicker than it was...and then finally, after 5 laps of me being sat on his arse, the Focus also did the decent thing and moved over to let me on my way.

If you watch the clip again you'll see that there were several times when I had enough of a run out of the corners to get past...and I could have easily outbraked him as he was early on the brakes everywhere.

But as on most trackdays, overtaking is by consent only, and I just had to sit there while he satisfied his ego by not letting a clearly faster car past. Had I pushed past, I may well have been black flagged and booted off track.

Thank you.

That was you was it?

Nice driving mate, although the person in the focus does really need to learn some skills, he would probs loose you then...

Nice to see clios harrassing quicker cars tho :D