ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup vs focus st

I had a play with an st3(?) bright orange thing, seemed ok till 80 then he clearly had a fair bit more power, that was in the old pink bus 193bhp, which was quicker than any cup i ever came accross.

mmm..... Starting to wonder if the one i had a play with had a re-map or something then, he had alot more power when we got close to three figures. Or maybe its the usual cliosport chat, clio's are the fastest cars on the road??

I had a play with an st3(?) bright orange thing, seemed ok till 80 then he clearly had a fair bit more power, that was in the old pink bus 193bhp, which was quicker than any cup i ever came accross.

mmm..... Starting to wonder if the one i had a play with had a re-map or something then, he had alot more power when we got close to three figures. Or maybe its the usual cliosport chat, clio's are the fastest cars on the road??

Reading the post you have quoted you seem to be saying the same thing. Whats the beef? :S

RS Clios' are rapid up to 90-100mph then start to tail off compared to bigger more powerfull cars. But down a challenging A or B road there is going to be feck all in it.

clio cup 172
this has no doubt been put on here before but it is funny reading all the excuses below the video from the ST owners!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImTU0LnNN-A

Got to agree with all the sensible comments on here... there would be nothing in it on a give and take road. I know I would rather have my cup and that is all that matters

172 Credit crunch edition
Raced my mates st-2 from a standing start there wasnt a great deal in it maybe 3 car lengths max! once i got to 120 he started closing the lead i had and went past me when i was doing 135 ish.
Same thing another time with some random st driver sitting on my bumper when he decided to overtake we was doing about 50 ish and i hit the fast pedal pulled on him about 2 lengths then i backed off.

Mondeo ST220
Think the ST would have it tbh, in gear their quick! 2.5 5cyl turbo engine!

Lower speeds and in the corners think it would be reasonably close but think it would be a case of the cup keeping up with the ST at times and not been far behind

Just a slightly different take on things, i know the 1*2's aren't the fastest cars on earth but to be comparing them to cars with superior/more modern technology and power, i think , is credit to renault, after all it's all about smile per mile !! and the clio in that respect is hard to beat .

172 cup
I know to be fair it is a 2 litre n/a against 2.5 litre turbo!

If what everyone is saying is correct then the cup is doing pretty well in my opinion! :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Just a slightly different take on things, i know the 1*2's aren't the fastest cars on earth but to be comparing them to cars with superior/more modern technology and power, i think , is credit to renault, after all it's all about smile per mile !! and the clio in that respect is hard to beat .

Plus its a 3rd of the price so fair play to the renault and your post

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
Yeah the little Clio holds its own damn well, but it still doesn't stop me wanting a bright orange focus ST... ;) ...just a little anyway.

172 cup TT
I know to be fair it is a 2 litre n/a against 2.5 litre turbo!

try not to be so narrow minded chap, engine size isnt the factor which makes the cup punch above its weight...

Using your logic even a tank should beat a cup... say (now i know nothing about tanks but...) an M47 tank which i THINK has something like a V12, air cooled, twin turbo'd engine. producing about 810bhp... MASSIVE engine but its power to weight is SOMETHING like probably (now i know nothing about tanks but...) about 17.6bhp per tonne

i think...

clio 182 ff
if ya bothered about speed buy a bike u can pick an R1 up for round 6k then u will win just about everything on the road full stop

Evo 8 MRFQ320
i wouldnt say theres much in it standard vs standard, race a re-mapped one when the st gets traction it would pull away easily.

Leon Cupra 300
I was quicker in 2nd and 3rd, he was quicker and came past in 4th... i.e 90mph + :D I was also 2 up.

Evo 8 MRFQ320
i had a go with a trophy when mine was standard and after 100 i pulled away from him, now ive had the dreamscience re-map if the conditions where good i think i would pull away from lower speeds, sayin that i miss the 172 for havin fun in.

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
i really wasn`t impressed with them at all. raced 1 when my engine was standard n with my bro in mine n bloody pissed on it! my mate brought 1 about a month ago, raced him with my throttle boddies fitted and pretty much left him standing!

APR LCR225
Was out with my mate last weekend in his gti-6 and had a do with one off a roundabout, we were behind him and right on his tail until about 110, at which point he bottled it as there was a car infront and we flew past them both.

Not as quick as i expected!

His 6 is track prepd, few engine mods (panel,racing cat) 150k miles on the engine and cost 1700 quid:rasp:, as opposed to 15k+ for the focus!

306: 1 ST:0 :D

H&R + Pole Position'd Cup
Came up against an ST yesterday. I came off the roundabout behind it and was pulling on him a fair bit. I was having to hold the revs down - whether they were really going for it or got a change wrong I dont know. Unfortunately we both got stuck behind another car and that was the end of that.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
If I was buying a car, with my own money, and could only choose between an St and a GTi-6. I'd have the 306. I quite like 306s - the ST does nothing for me and costs 8 times what the 306 does - yet isn't much quicker and probably doesn't handle as well.

Dan

Mark 1 Clio V6
ST handles better than you'd think.
Throw on the Ford optional Eibach's and it is excellent (if a bit heavy).

It certainly handles better and is faster than a mk1 V6..........................

MCS R56
GTI-6 is a good drivers' car but can't see many being reliable now. Plus they look a bit dated, especially on the interior. Obviously, the ST is going to cost more now but they are still quite reasonable for what you get - especially the ST-1. Saying that, the Cup is by far the best car/fun per £ out of the three. Who needs 6 gears anyway?

They remap up to 270bhp no problem.

My dad has an ST running around 260bhp and i'd say it's faster than his cup racer engined 182! But doesn't feel anywhere near as fun...

APR LCR225
Wouldnt put my money on it being faster than a mk1 v6, though why thats been thrown into the mix i dont know!:S Handling-wise, different kettle of fish!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Wouldnt put my money on it being faster than a mk1 v6, though why thats been thrown into the mix i dont know!:S Handling-wise, different kettle of fish!

They're not faster than a Mk1 V6 - presumably he felt the need to include them to 'get back' at me as I own one for saying I'd rather have a GTi6 heh. In the dry a well driven Mk1 Vee would hang onto most things handling wise (within reason) - massive amounts of grip till the limit.

<queue posts of "I beat a Mk1 V6 in my ST blah blah">

Dan

MCS R56
Funny how other cars are always brought into the discussion. We need a new thread.....

Clio v The whole damn world! (of course, the Clio would be in Cup form)

Mark 1 Clio V6
I have owned both a mk1 V6 (for 18 months) and a Focus ST (just got rid of it actually so am looking from an unbiased viewpoint of an ex-owner of both cars) and the focus handles better than the mk1 V and is faster straight line.

It might be close in the dry, but Focus would edge it as it has masses of grip, turns in far quicker and gets the power out of the corner quicker.

In the wet the Focus would triumph easily.

V6 is a better car (more thrilling, better looking and better sounding), but just not as well set up.

All I am saying is that if a Gti-6 is faster than a Focus ST, it's faster than a mk1 V6 also.

Last edited:
  APR LCR225
I have owned both a mk1 V6 (for 18 months) and a Focus ST (just got rid of it actually so am looking from an unbiased viewpoint of an ex-owner of both cars) and the focus handles better than the mk1 V and is faster straight line.

It might be close in the dry, but Focus would edge it as it has masses of grip, turns in far quicker and gets the power out of the corner quicker.

In the wet the Focus would triumph easily.

V6 is a better car (more thrilling, better looking and better sounding), but just not as well set up.

All I am saying is that if a Gti-6 is faster than a Focus ST, it's faster than a mk1 V6 also.

Nah mate, your implying that im making it up in regards to the gti-6.

A standard st is not faster in a straight line than a mk1 v6. Maybe it felt eager on boost with the turbo, who knows. If you owned both and can drive reasonably then you should ideally be able to say there wouldnt be that much in it in outright straight line pace..as it would be most likely points of seconds different. abit broad to just state that the ford is faster. The st wasnt much of a threat to my old mans previous 255 at all, mk1 vee isnt worlds behind the mk2.

My mate kept with the st in his gti-6 down a straight road, i was sat with him and i for one couldnt give a monkeys which is quicker.im just stating what i observed. Id be happy in saying he would have killed it anywhere we could have gone too as he is a truly s**t hot driver.

Mondeo
I am guessing some of it also comes down to nerves, or how far the driver wants to push it. Also if you can get off the mark first because the other wasn't expecting it, it goes a long way.
I raced a Mondeo ST220 whilst test driving a Audi A3 2.0TDi (140) up to about 100mph he couldn't shake me. But then again I was pushing him and was in the right gear to go, so as soon as he started to go I was already accelerating hard, he had to drop a cog or two and then build up so my velocity was already increasing, hsi wasn't. But once we hit a ton I thought that will do, so popped it into 6th and plodded around at probably 40+mpg, whereas he was seeing soemwhere like 20mpg I guess ;-)

Cheers H