ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup wont start, what to check?

clio 172 cup
53 plate 172 cup. Drove fine last night, Never let me down. Just went to take it out and it wont start. Lights on the dash come on and go off fine. The engine turns over. But not starting.

So what should I check, Ive heard about the TDC sensor and crank sensor. Is that the same thing? Worth checking?

Thanks.

182 FF
Sounds like it, mines a bugger for coming apart so worth checking the connections. On top of gearbox above flywheel (obviously)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It's quite random for a TDC to just completely go, they normally fail over time with intermittent starting, but anyway...

Yes TDC and crank sensor are the same thing, it's easy enough to change/clean, so I'd clean it first, then change it if cleaning it makes a difference (as it's probably on it's way out anyway).

Does it bump start? (rolling start)

172 Cup
I had prob while back with coilpack on mine which meant it struggled to start. Problem was initially intermittant, spark only going to 3 of the cylinders..

I know you say the lights on the dash go out as per usual but does the immobiliser light go out when you turn on the ignition? Or does it stay on and flash?

clio 172 cup
Jonff; Just checked this. The imobiliser flashes untill i turn the ignition, then it goes out with the other lights. But i have now noticed the orange light with the square box and the squiggle line through it stays on. This is the ECU light is it not?

Like a heart beat monitor? That's the "limp home" mode. Mine did this when I had a faulty UCH, Sounds like it needs to go on a diagnostic machines tbh.

Edit: Ideal if you could borrow a coilpack off someone, swap it over and see if it cures the problem.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
my coilpack went the other night. if i drove anywhere there was a disgusting egg smell (only drove onto the recovery truck and off it)

also stalled everytime i stopped revving the engine. but it was just on 2 cylinders it went.

best place to get one from is GSF. i went to euro car parts and was then politely informed by a northwest automotive member that instead of paying £65 for a coilpack, he worked for GSF and they do them for £35

GUTTED!

clio 172 cup
UPDATE: I had an auto electrician plug his computer into it. It came up with the imobiliser fault. Strange as the lights on the dash are working as they should but the imobiliser is staying on. He isnt sure and has pointed me in the direction of a garage who may be able to help. Can anyone give me ay more pointers as to what it may be before i take it to a garage.
Thanks.

clio 172 cup
UPDATE: Ok so I had the RAC chap come out to me and see what he thought. His computer wasnt working very well so all he could do was check a few things things that came to no joy. He towed me to an auto electrician who looked at it this morning. He managed to find the problem. Deep in the loom he found a wire that had snapped inside the sheath. It had not been cut or pulled but had been hanging by a thread for some time untill it burnt out completely. He had no idea why but said it could have been a manufacturing fault that only now rears its head.

Anyway, 2 hours labour and I get my car back fine. He also fixed a few other problems that he came accross with the throttle.

Its worth noting that I could have spent big money swapping coils, tdc sensors, leads, plugs and other things that people suggest. I would never in a million years found this snapped wire. I guess sometimes its just better to take it to a guy with the right computer and let them fix it.

Thanks for all your help though. I'm now glad to have it back and chuffed it wasnt an ECU or something expensive.

172 Cup
Excellent mate - good news.

You can check everything you listed there without having replacements ie zero spend...

Good feeling getting car back knowing alls good..till the next thing lol