ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 & cup

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 10 July 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 09 July 2003

Quote: Originally posted by CUPPY on 09 July 2003

thought the cup was alot faster to 100 than the normal 172?
0-100 times:

mk1 - 18.2secs

mk2 - 18.9secs
Cup - 17.7secs

Where did you get those times from ? have a look at my 0-60 and 0-100 vids and tell me those figures arent a load of crap.
I thought that too......if ppl on here are doing sub 15s 1/4 mile runs in MK2 172s @ nearly a ton 18.9 sounds way too long

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 10 July 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Rallye-King on 10 July 2003

No offence mate but that is a load of bull sh!t. You can get an imported brand new 172 for less than a new Cup. Go figure!!!
I agree...

Also the fact that the Cup costs more to insure!
Spot on mate. We never used to get this bitching from the GTi-6 boys did we ....:confused:

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by Chad on 10 July 2003

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 10 July 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 09 July 2003

Quote: Originally posted by CUPPY on 09 July 2003

thought the cup was alot faster to 100 than the normal 172?
0-100 times:

mk1 - 18.2secs

mk2 - 18.9secs
Cup - 17.7secs

Where did you get those times from ? have a look at my 0-60 and 0-100 vids and tell me those figures arent a load of crap.
I thought that too......if ppl on here are doing sub 15s 1/4 mile runs in MK2 172s @ nearly a ton 18.9 sounds way too long
Many of these 1/4 mile times are from modified cars!

Clio v6

I went to make a cup of tea last night and found that I had run out of milk. I dashed to my local shop about a 1/4 mile away. They where about to close in 5 minutes. Thank goodness I got there in 14.83 seconds. Dont you just hate being the last customer?

There is a justification for 1/4 mile times afterall.

I feal like a better man today? Maybe not.

I have enough milk in my fridge? Yes.

Thankyou Renault.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Chad on 10 July 2003

Well my 306 Rallye will run the 1/4 mile in 14.83secs @ 93mph but the 0-100 time is 19.2secs on paper...

The only way to tell is to actually run the car against the clock!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rallye-King on 10 July 2003

Also the fact that the Cup costs more to insure!
Spot on mate. We never used to get this bitching from the GTi-6 boys did we ....
[coughs]

Oh yes we did...

Quote: Originally posted by tumbleweed on 09 July 2003

The clio cup unfortunately is destined to replace the ultimate boyracer car the Citreon saxo...because it is cheap...this will reflect in 2 years time on the resale value :-(

Like the Citreon Saxo 19 - 24 yr olds with white baseball cap and kappa tracksuit bottoms willl buy the cup because of the cheapness...the 172 with the extras will not attract soo many..but having the boyracer status will see the blacked out windows...5" diameter exhausts and hugh sub woofers in the boot....style counts.

Granted the Cup is a nice car, fast...i have raced some in my 172 and beat soome..not all.....but if i had to chooose between a cup, 172 or subaru WRX...it would be the Subaru then 172 then finallly the cup.

Tumbleweed let me come down to your level for a minute... your a mailto:c@ck">c@ck mailto:c@ck">c@ck mailto:c@ck">c@ck

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by dash on 10 July 2003I went to make a cup of tea last night and found that I had run out of milk. I dashed to my local shop about a 1/4 mile away. They where about to close in 5 minutes. Thank goodness I got there in 14.83 seconds. Dont you just hate being the last customer?There is a justification for 1/4 mile times afterall.I feal like a better man today? Maybe not.I have enough milk in my fridge? Yes.Thankyou Renault. 

Its just as well you only went for milk.. its about the only thing you can fit in the glove.. sorry luggage compartment.. ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 10 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by tumbleweed on 09 July 2003The clio cup unfortunately is destined to replace the ultimate boyracer car the Citreon saxo...because it is cheap...this will reflect in 2 years time on the resale value :-(Like the Citreon Saxo 19 - 24 yr olds with white baseball cap and kappa tracksuit bottoms willl buy the cup because of the cheapness...the 172 with the extras will not attract soo many..but having the boyracer status will see the blacked out windows...5" diameter exhausts and hugh sub woofers in the boot....style counts.Granted the Cup is a nice car, fast...i have raced some in my 172 and beat soome..not all.....but if i had to chooose between a cup, 172 or subaru WRX...it would be the Subaru then 172 then finallly the cup.  Tumbleweed let me come down to your level for a minute... your a <a href= "mailto:c@ck">c@ck <a href= "mailto:c@ck">c@ck <a href= "mailto:c@ck">c@ck [/QUOTE]

LMFAO.. very touchy subject there..

Neils just upset that his Cup is out 1/4 miled by a Saxo and that it cant get away from a MK1 172. Heheheh......ducking for cover again :D

Nah, he is just on a wind up, afterall if a cup is going to be the ultimate boyracer car so is a 172 cause guess Mr Bumblehead they are the same fecking car... give or take a few goodies and .3 of a secs to 60.

has anyone actually counted even 1 second it is so fast you would never be able to truly tell the difference on the open road?? let alone 0.3??? the cup is the car for me but 172s are beautiful cars...even mk1s...ha ha only jokin rhys

Or from a different point of view: If you are veggie a Cup is a nice cheap 172 without killing the animals... And without the air conditioning that (according to scientist people) recycles your old illnesses so you get ill again. I read BBC news at work too much, Im a saaaad man ;)

And its quicker than a 172... *Runs really quick* lol

I would like to say that I like both the 172 and the cup, but (puts on his hard hat) if I have done my maths correctly then if the cup is quicker by 0.5 sec to 60mph doesnt that equate to something like 10 meters difference? Or more?

Before I get flamed I would like to point out that Im a newbie and should not be taken too seriously.:D

Can someone work out the differnce for 0.5 secs at 100mph?

in all honesty if i could of afforded a 172 id of probably got one. Test drove the Cup and when i went to have afriendly chat with the dealer i could buy one, so i did :eek:)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Shut it... newbie..

;) nah only kiddin.. err its actually like 0.1 of a second difference so work that out.x

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 11 July 2003
Cup has a leather steering wheel, DOHIf meat is murder, then murder tastes mighty fine.....

So what your telling us is you like a bit of meat in your mouth ??? :eek: :eek:

Nippy white cup

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 11 July 2003

Shut it... newbie..

;) nah only kiddin.. err its actually like 0.1 of a second difference so work that out.x
What 6.6 to 60 for a standard 172?

Cup is 6.5 to 60, 6.9 to 62.........The Mk2 is 7.1/2 ......and the cup is 16.9 to 100 wheras the Mk 2 is 207 to 100 so there is a difference performance wise.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Dont forget the better handling on the CUP due to wider wheel base, different tracking, uprated front suspension and a tweaked Chassis !!!!!!

0.5 seconds quicker to 60, 3.7 seconds quicker to 100 and a much more enjoyable drive. You can tell the moment the cluch is raised that 89Kgs makes a big difference.

The new Willy !

End of discussion.

No need to reply as I will not look at this thread again.

Bye !

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

well if the best your cups can do is 6.6 then either you all got duffers or I got a really good un.. 7.2 is laughable, I could start off in 4th gear and still pull 7.1

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 11 July 2003

Quote: Originally posted by RSTDL on 11 July 2003Cup is 6.5 to 60, 6.9 to 62.........The Mk2 is 7.1/2 ......and the cup is 16.9 to 100 wheras the Mk 2 is 207 to 100 so there is a difference performance wise.

AHAHAHAHHAHHHAHHHAHHAH !!!

LMFAO.. ye okay then.. 7.2 to 60 eh ? and over 20 seconds to 100mph..

My 172 is standard.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/run1.wmvhttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/run1.wmv

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/fullrun.wmvhttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/fullrun.wmv

time it yourself.

Down a steep hill?? ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 10 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Chad on 10 July 2003Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 10 July 2003 Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 09 July 2003 Quote: Originally posted by CUPPY on 09 July 2003 thought the cup was alot faster to 100 than the normal 172? [/QUOTE]0-100 times:mk1 - 18.2secs mk2 -  18.9secs
Cup - 17.7secs  
[/QUOTE]

Where did you get those times from ? have a look at my 0-60 and 0-100 vids and tell me those figures arent a load of crap. [/QUOTE]I thought that too......if ppl on here are doing sub 15s 1/4 mile runs in MK2 172s @ nearly a ton 18.9 sounds way too long[/QUOTE]Many of these 1/4 mile times are from modified cars!

Have you ever seen so many quotes in one post? :D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by hype on 11 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 10 July 2003Quote: Originally posted by Chad on 10 July 2003Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 10 July 2003 Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 09 July 2003 Quote: Originally posted by CUPPY on 09 July 2003 thought the cup was alot faster to 100 than the normal 172? 0-100 times:mk1 - 18.2secs mk2 - 18.9secsCup - 17.7secs

Where did you get those times from ? have a look at my 0-60 and 0-100 vids and tell me those figures arent a load of crap. I thought that too......if ppl on here are doing sub 15s 1/4 mile runs in MK2 172s @ nearly a ton 18.9 sounds way too longMany of these 1/4 mile times are from modified cars!

Have you ever seen so many quotes in one post? :D

no..

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by griff_90 on 11 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 11 July 2003 Quote: Originally posted by RSTDL on 11 July 2003Cup is 6.5 to 60, 6.9 to 62.........The Mk2 is 7.1/2 ......and the cup is 16.9 to 100 wheras the Mk 2 is 207 to 100 so there is a difference performance wise. [/QUOTE]

AHAHAHAHHAHHHAHHHAHHAH !!!

LMFAO.. ye okay then.. 7.2 to 60 eh ? and over 20 seconds to 100mph..

My 172 is standard.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/run1.wmvhttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/run1.wmv

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/fullrun.wmvhttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/fullrun.wmv

time it yourself. [/QUOTE] Down a steep hill?? ;)

if thats what you wanna believe.

S2000

Why is it ppl take the best times for a car and the worst recorded for the other to make their point! The fastest I have seen the MK2 172 timed to 60 is 6.7 and 17.9 to 100, this equates to very little on the road, maybe one-2 car lengths!

Quote: Originally posted by swelch on 11 July 2003

Dont forget the better handling on the CUP due to wider wheel base, different tracking, uprated front suspension and a tweaked Chassis !!!!!!

What is this chassis tweak? I know about the other bits but am not aware of a chassis "tweak"?

0.5 seconds quicker to 60, 3.7 seconds quicker to 100 and a much more enjoyable drive. You can tell the moment the cluch is raised that 89Kgs makes a big difference.

3.7 to 100? Thats like hundreds of feet at 100mph. Ive held my own at !30+ with a Cup.

S2000

Rhys,

I think any suspension tweaks etc, can be called chasis tweaks. IMO in the top of 4th and all the way through 5th, there will be absolutely nothing in it!!

weve had the MK1 vs MK11, now its the Cup vs. MK1/11. Next year itll be the MK11 vs MK111 and so on. Real life its not gonna make a difference between the two. Its all down to the driver at the end of the day because essentially they are both virtually the same car so who gives a sh1t if one car is .3 of a second faster, that can be made up in reaction time.

Whenever these sort of theads come up its always the same people, not all, who drive cups/172 that go on about .2 of second this and .3 of second that. Funnily enough I dont see any people with Williams1 bickering with those who own Williams 2 or 3s, which raised the question the mentality of some Cup/172 owners. Do a search for "Cup vs 172" and you see what I mean.