ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cutting out

Clio 172 (flame red)
Hi there....

Basically my clio keeps on randomly stalling. If I key off and then try a start it runs again fine. It appears to be stalling when dipping the clutch when changing gear or coasting up to a junction that kind of thing, i.e. no throttle input. It seems to happen whether the engine is cold or warm, I can go for a week without it stalling yet the other day it stalled twice.

I happen to have access to some OBD diagnostic devices and there are no diagnostic codes logged, therefore there is also no MiL or anything like that.

I have brand new spark plugs fitted, the coil pack was replaced around 40k miles ago and I have K-tec racing leads going from coil pack to the sparks.

At the moment my thoughts are that it could be the MAF sensor, maybe an air leak or the Crank sensor..... any other ideas???

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:
  Clio 182
I had the exact same problem on my old e30 325. I know it is a different car but that was due to an air leak to the idle control valve.

try cleaning the tdc sensor (crank sensor)

Ive been having similar issues, do the ph2 172's with drive by wire throttle body have a seperate idle control valve? or is it built in to the throttle body?

Clio 172 (flame red)
Right been investigating a bit more, got home, lifted the bonnet and poked around with the engine running, couldnt see or feel any air leaks, although down at the right hand side near the air intake and battery I am sure I could hear an occaisional "psssst", what could that be?

Also when I dropped the bonnet drop the engine promptly stalled, so really beginning to think loose connection.

Probably a dim question but is the crank sensor on the right or left side of the engine and is it easy to get to?

I've been having a similar issue since i had my cams fitted.

A Renault diagnostic check shows no faults at all.

So far i've replaced the throttle body, tdc sensor, plugs, leads, intake gasket and had several custom calibration files made for my RSTuner and still not solved it.

Not sure what to try next, it's cutting out and not starting pretty much everyday. Doesn't do it from cold though

Monaco Ph2 172
I know this thread is almost a year old, but I'm having the same problems as described above so I thought I'd resurrect it...

For a while now my 53 plate 172 hasn't been starting first time unless I blip the throttle. Now it has taken to cutting out / stalling when coming to rest. It is OK if it is revved while in neutral, it's just when, for example, I am slowing down approaching a junction and the revs drop to tickover speed - it just cuts out - or tries to cut out. Apart from that, it seems to run fine!

I had the TDC sensor replaced two years ago so could possibly be that - but I am thinking more spark plugs as it is due a major service and I think they get replaced during that...

...but any other suggestions are welcome. I notice that the others have had similar issues and they haven't been resolved.

Cheers.

Monaco Ph2 172
Cheers for that... :) Having read a bit more, it seems that the coilpack could be the problem. I take it that a faulty coilpack can be an intermittent problem, but gradually getting worse over time?

Also, could it effect performance / fuel efficiency, as I have noticed a definite drop in my MPG...?

I presume it would get worse over time, and I think it would deffo have an effect on them but idk.

Im just a 16 year old kid :rasp:

clio 172 cup, aprilia rsv
im also having this problem recently. like some have said, car runs fine, not missfiring or anything like that but some days (when its bad) it will cut out about 8 times in traffic or when im turning the steering wheel on low speed manouvres like into parking bays. i had the tdc sensor out a few months ago and cleaned it up and this seemed to sort it but now the problem is back, its almost like the idle isnt quite right but its not always like that! any ideas guys nd gals?

Elf

Clio 172 cup
Same problem on my car
I look like a muppet if i have the stereo on and it cuts out
I looks like i learner driver when approaching junctions or lights

2001 172 ph1
Got the same problem on my ph1 172, havent changed my coil, leads or plugs since ive owned the car (2 months) not sure when they were changed?? also does the ph1 have a tdc sensor? thanks

yes it does, its on the right of your engine as you're looking at it. It's on a curved bracket and is just above the gearbox.

Clio 172 (flame red)
As a foot note to this topic, I recently changed the TDC sensor on my car and it (touch wood) appears to have fixed the issue. A word of advice, dont be fooled by a dealership into buying the "loom" (loom my @rse its a connector with a couple of 6" wires), in most cases if the connector is incorrect it is only the keyway which can be removed (carefully) with a Stanley knife. ;-)

Monaco Ph2 172
For a while now my 53 plate 172 hasn't been starting first time unless I blip the throttle. Now it has taken to cutting out / stalling when coming to rest. It is OK if it is revved while in neutral, it's just when, for example, I am slowing down approaching a junction and the revs drop to tickover speed - it just cuts out - or tries to cut out. Apart from that, it seems to run fine!

I had the TDC sensor replaced two years ago so could possibly be that - but I am thinking more spark plugs as it is due a major service and I think they get replaced during that...

Well… after replacing the coil pack, battery, spark plugs and exhaust (mid and rear sections) in the past few months - I still have the above problems… except now the electronic fault light has started coming on about 5 minutes after starting the car, meaning I can't rev it above 3k - but it goes off and stays off if I restart the car. Furthermore, the toxic fume management warning light came on last night (not flashing) and won't go off.

Also, as RegisCup mentioned, the cutting out / revs dropping quite often happens when I am turning the wheel and manoeuvring at low speeds.

Sounds like it could be a culmination of two (or more!) problems - probably a sensor of some type judging by the threads I have read on here.

So… any further advice would be helpful… before I get a remortgage and give to them nice Renault people! :clown: Thanks!

Monaco Ph2 172
As a follow-up tot he above post, I finally got my Clio sorted at Renault. Turns out it was the inlet solenoid valve - something that the technician I spoke to had never seen before!

Nope, I'd never heard of that before either! :)

Clio 1.4
;) Hi Clio Fans

My daughter has been driving us mad with the problem about stalling due to low irratic and low rev's in the mornings.

Once warmed up it is fine but still not 100% on the rev's.

Replaced the Temp Sensor after getting the wrong one...they gave us the rad temp sensor and not the Block sensor as it is different as you may be aware.

Anyway done this and it had NO Effect.

Was at my brothers house in Suffolk as he does all my daughters repairs.We live in Kent.

We stood for an hour scratching our heads and seeing as we had a drive from Suffolk to Kent to do we got desperate..As yo do.

Well have tried something very unusual and we are testing it today and if it works brill if not then back to the drawing board.

We drove all the way back and the drive was great and the rev's spot on and the accelerator was more responsive.

Keep fingers and toes crossed that this has worked as it only takes seconds to do and will post once we are happy it is working or just drop me a line.
tony@adlocal.co.uk

The other problem we experinced was Front Brake pads replaced and started squealing after a few miles.
Solved this so that was another one ticked off.

First time on here and hope not the last if all works.

Thank you

Tony

Clio 1.4
Hi All
Time 09.35 and daughter nipped out to car and tried the starting and the car started first time and rev's perfect so it looking good.
Going for test drive in an hour to town see if the damm thing stalls or not as the case maybe.

I am a little worried about posting this answer to this problem as people will think we are mad what we done to fix it.....lol

Tony

N

njh_89

Hi there....

Basically my clio keeps on randomly stalling. If I key off and then try a start it runs again fine. It appears to be stalling when dipping the clutch when changing gear or coasting up to a junction that kind of thing, i.e. no throttle input. It seems to happen whether the engine is cold or warm, I can go for a week without it stalling yet the other day it stalled twice.

I happen to have access to some OBD diagnostic devices and there are no diagnostic codes logged, therefore there is also no MiL or anything like that.

I have brand new spark plugs fitted, the coil pack was replaced around 40k miles ago and I have K-tec racing leads going from coil pack to the sparks.

At the moment my thoughts are that it could be the MAF sensor, maybe an air leak or the Crank sensor..... any other ideas???

Any help much appreciated.

I have the same problem on my 52 plate 172 my mate is a mechanic and his diagnostics machine said it would the post cat lambda sensor. ill let younoif it cures it.

Hi,
Tony12345 did you cure fix your daughters car? If so do you fancy sharing your secret because my cars doing something very similar sounding and it would be great to get it fixed
Cheers
Jim

Clio 1.4
Hi Clio Fans

Sorry for the delay in updating.
HERE IS WHAT WE DONE.

The problem we had was that it would stall a lot unless you sat for a while.
The tick over was erratic till it warmed up.
If you pulled away and got to a roundabout or junction then it would stall.

What we done was the following.

The Idle control valve.
It has a black pipe coming from the top of it that goes down behind the headlight.

We took a small drill and drilled 3 holes close to the top.
1st hole we saw a change in the revs. at about 5000 then 2nd hole took it up a little more but we aiming for the 7500 so we drilled another hole.
That did it 7500 spot on.

If you need more info then drop me a line.
Hope this works for you.

When we did it we took a chance and it paid off. If it did not work we would have sealed the holes with a little elec tape.

Drop me a line if it works for you as well.
tony@adlocal.co.uk

or Twitter 2SellSites

Thank You and good luck

PS Still find it AMAZING that this simply solution works.(At least it keeps me daughter from moaning..lol)

CLIO 182 CUP
I have just bought a phase 1 clio 172 black x304 bux off clio lord. Its a great car but keeps cutting out when cruising at like 50 in 4th roughly and somtimes in the mornings. I have to turn the ignition off and on again and its fine again. Also the red light petrol lights come on when having more less than half a tank any thoughts. he changed the crank sensior before i had it off him. maybe fuel pump

any help would be greatfull

many thanks

mosley

Clio Sport 172
Let's revive this thread... Got a 172 51 plate, got same prob revs drop and car cuts out when the clutch goes in. I've been everywhere to try and get this sorted but no one knows. Had new spark plugs, crank sensor, battery, coil over, drilled the three holes! Changed oil, new lambda sensor but to absolutely no avail!! I'm starting to get really p****d off with this car as it has been the worst car for faults I have ever ever had could anyone shine a light on this please? Thank you