ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Dream or Reality?

Clio 1.4
Hi guys im trying to seek some advice/help/guidance into purchasing/maintaining/insuring a Clio 172.

Been looking on Pistonheads weekly and seen some lovely models for a moderately good price. I've just started a new job so im going to do my probation then i will be looking into them even further but my concerns are:

- Maintainence
- Petrol
- Insurance

I've done a few Online quotes and i've been given like £3000 minimum which i think is crazy! Im 18 and i know some of you may laugh but im a 18 year old with a full-time job that will sustain me well enough to think about getting a 172.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Gammer

If your looking at 172, i assume (correct me if im wrong) you'll be spending between 5-7K?
In my mind paying 3K a year to insure something worth that doesn't make economical sense.

^^ I'm in the same position mate , full time job. trying to decide weather just beacuse i will have a huge amount of expendable income i should live it up or be sensible and save for house and family/future???

but don't want a 172 lol it's a 4.0ltr Landy Disco V8 (to pull the horse).

Silver 172 Ph1
Gammer, put some cash away and wait 3 years. If you cant wait that long then make sure you talk to Adrian Flux as they will probably do you a better quote.
At least wait 6 months till your settled in your job if your buying the car on finance.
I've spent about a grand on my 172 this year (Mid and back box exhaust and electric window gone etc etc) they can get pretty expensive, I'd make sure you have a bit of money to iron out any problems when you first buy it (the last thing you want is it sitting at the side of the road while paying that for insurance).
Petrol isn't a big issue I get around 35 Mpg and most people on the boards seem to get better than that.

P

phill172

to be honest search around on your insurance, dont go to places like adrian flux as theyll just bum you (good langauge i know), untill your over a certain age i find insurers like that just take the piss. I phoned up MCE, there a broker so my insurance policy is with Norwich Union, im 19, i have no ncb, but i havent crashed! was just a named driver for two years, so this is my first policy in my name and im paying £1600 with a £500 excess with all the extras like windscreen cover etc. If one insurance companys is high, dont be put off, just keep phoning around and take a note of all the prices you get as all the insurers will try and undercut eachother. Thing that has stung me is the running costs! Cambelt, exhaust as they will always go if its a standerd renault. Petrols not to bad, if you drive like an arse everywhere it drinks like any other 2.0l would, but most of the time i average around 35mpg. Hope it helps... Phill

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 1.4
I've found a few nice 172's from about £4000 - £6000 which is what im willing to spend. What would your estimate on the insurance be? I have the option of going onto my dads policy with his 35years no claims and i would get it protected.

Dont need to save for a house have been given the choice of paying rent at my parents house which i would hate to move out from!

I would like to get the clio to enjoy life a bit more :)

Done a AF quote online today waiting for the email to come through.

I just have fallen in love with the Clio 172's !

P

phill172

Loads of insurers now are letting named drivers build up no claims bonuses, so if you do go named driver, try and get in with one of those companys as when you come to take out a policy for you own it would be alot more friendly. What year would the car be and where abouts would it be stored, does effect some insurers quotes...

Silver 172 Ph1
Gammer,
They are a great car and you will certainly enjoy it, be a little careful although you dont want to move out now a deposit is a shitload of money to save so bear that in mind.
I'd go on your own policy as its been discussed a few time here its not legal to go on your parents if your the only one driving it, plus you can then start earning your own no claims.

I hope the quote comes through more reasonable.

Elise S1 B&C 140
Try Elephant and admiral for quotes, they have always been the best for me over the 5 years i have been driving. Had a 205 1.9gti at 18 with admiral cant remember how much now but i remember thinking how cheap it was. (that was TPFT however)

Clio 1.4
At the moment im just driving a 1.4 clio and its £1600 TPFT with Quinn Direct but i will not be using them again ( No Irish intended )

I thought i could go under my dads policy with Directline? he has 35 years no claims so surely that would knock alot off? I would get the policy protected aswel.

172 cup
No offence but...............

1). You have to be brain dead to consider paying 3k for insurance on a Clio, or very rich. In which case if it was the latter I doubt you would be buying a Clio in the first place.

2). At 18 I think getting some driving experience is probably the most sensible idea while also having the advantage of cheaper insurance and building up a no claims bonus. A 1.2 16v was perfectly fine for me and was quite fast also, I scared myself a few times and I think I would of probably crashed if I had the cup then.

Wait until your 21 and insurance goes down so much, or it did for me anyway. I pay 600, I’m 22 with 3 years ncb

Elise S1 B&C 140
At the moment im just driving a 1.4 clio and its £1600 TPFT with Quinn Direct but i will not be using them again ( No Irish intended )

I thought i could go under my dads policy with Directline? he has 35 years no claims so surely that would knock alot off? I would get the policy protected aswel.

I would build up your own NCB if possible otherwise at some point you will be paying over the odds anyway for not having any NCB

172 cup
I know but you know when you get so blindly set on getting one. Think im hitting that stage!

I've been there mate trust me, just give it time and see what happens but seriously your gonna be paying 3k this year insurance at least imo. Next year 1.5-2k, year after a bit less. Thats all providing you dont crash etc

Clio 1.4
Its either a 172 or a GT5.

You all probablly think i need a bullet to the brain !

But Speed is a need.

P

phill172

please dont say you mean a R5 turbo??? youll be pushing it more then driving it! I saw three being pushed into FCS in a row with one guy kicking the bumper, tough love yes but come on........ put it this way, if a qoute comes through at £1600, thats £400 depoist, and roughly £167 per month for 9 months, plus £205 tax thats just to get you on the road, iv had mine for 9 months so far and its racked up a bill of just over £1000, thats cambelt, exhaust, and servicing, note though not renault prices! If you can afford it do it.....

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 172 mk2
Wise up and do your time behind the wheel of a shed like a lot of us have done. Paying over a grand on car insurance is a joke.

That way you won't be bankrupt plus you'll have some driving experience to handle the POWER.

172 cup
The amount of money i have spent maintaining the car in the 18 months i have had it is insane.

Tyres were 300+ easy
Service 200
Tax 200+
UCH replacement 300+
TDC Sensor 100

Plus many more

Clio 1.4
Yes a Turbo, i know i hear alot about them being a bit of a bugger, and being off the road more than being on the road.

But i have a friend with his own Workshop, willing to do the work if i source the parts, Free of charge.

As to being able to handle the POWER im sure i can, dont you worry :)

172 cup
Yes a Turbo, i know i hear alot about them being a bit of a bugger, and being off the road more than being on the road.

But i have a friend with his own Workshop, willing to do the work if i source the parts, Free of charge.

As to being able to handle the POWER im sure i can, dont you worry :)

Yeah how exactly? you have been driving no more than a year?

Most people who wrap thier car's round lamp posts etc say the same thing. Dont get me wrong they are good cars but insurance is so high for a reason when your 18.

P

phill172

make sure you can, first rainy day + roundabout, i became the worlds best drifter ahem ;) , that is after browning my pants and nearly spanking it into a lamppost, so after that i went a did a few courses. is the insurance any different from a 172 to r5gtt

Clio 1.4
Not sure on the difference between the two will have to make some phone calls to find out. Either car would only be pushed hard on a trackday where i can do it without risk of any other road users.

P

phill172

wow without sounding like a grandad, another sensible(ish) lol young driver not like the pricks that sit in sainsburys reving their 1.2 fiestas and crashing into people on there way out!

Clio 1.4
I belong to a car club www.essexracers.com ( may sound Chavy but have some very respectable people on there )

I also just got my new job who owns www.trackdays.co.uk so i will be doing plenty more Trackdays.

BACK ON SUBJECT

If i did get a 172 i would be driving even more watchful and carefully than i currently am with my banger.

P

phill172

fair play... well give MCE a call and see what they can do for you
the manager is an admin on the Nissan 200sx forum, not that i used to have one!........and got my insurance cheaper! but they are really good!

03 Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique
Get a 1.6 Dynamique mate, particularly nice in black :)

Perfectly fast enough for you at your age, and insurance is likely to be nicer on the wallet, and still has some modding potential.
Unless you have no monthly finanical outgoings and a lot of financial support from family etc OR a very good wage for an 18 year old, you'll struggle to maintain a Clio 172 nicely and pay insurance, parts, tax, and probably the biggest killer will end up being petrol if you drive a lot.

Pete.

182 Trophy
gammer, if its been your dream for a while then go for it mate, you should find cheaper insurance than that, not much mind, but every penny helps. I pay stupid amounts to insure my trophy, but its my dream car, HURTS the wallet but i wouldnt have it any other way. I was going to buy a 182 cup but worked harder and got tighter and maneged to save the extra couple of grand. basically what i'm saying is f*ck it and go for it, you only live once.

Clio 172 mk2
I personally think under 21s should be restricted to certain insurance groups.

I suppose it's your choice..if owning a 172 is that important (which I'm sure it is at 18/19) then be prepared to be f**ked up the arse by the insurance companies....I'm afraid that's the way it works

clio...
If you're TPFT with quinn now.. Why not see the policy out and gain a years no claims. Then See where it goes there after.

I'm 18.. was going to buy a Z3 or 172. Got a canny job, with great overtime and bonus rates... I've got no real outgoings, live at home, very privledged child etc...

Then i relised. Why on earth would i spend say 8 on the car, 3 on insurance and about 2-3 for maintaining (Petrol, Tires, Service, Mot, Tax, anything else that goes wrong) Thats in one year. I've decided i'm going to chug on in the 1.2 till I'm a lil older & lil wiser... and insurance isn't a killer. Plus, I'd much rather save for a house now and not be a spoon. I know theres this whole you're only young once or you only live once... But why would i potentially sacrifice having a better life for the sakes of a few years.

However, There are a lot of people on here that have done it & a lot of people who will continue to do it. If you want to then don't let anyone stop you... I just think its stupid & def' not for me.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Don't bother, my cars cost me over 2.5k in fixing it so far within a year.

Mk2 Clio dci
the only reason im waiting till im 19 to get the insurance on my 172, is because it was much much cheaper! £1600 from tesco with 1yr ncb.

Also it may cost alot to fix, it may not, just depends if you buy a shitter!
Im a technician at renault so fixing mine will be a piece of pish!

But of course its upto you what you want to do with your money.
Personally, i'd wait till your at least 19.

Clio 1.4
I think this is my only option without bankrupting myself before i've even turned 20 !

thanks for all your help guys appreciated :)

H&R + Pole Position'd Cup
the only reason im waiting till im 19 to get the insurance on my 172, is because it was much much cheaper! £1600 from tesco with 1yr ncb.

Also it may cost alot to fix, it may not, just depends if you buy a s**tter!
Im a technician at renault so fixing mine will be a piece of pish!

But of course its upto you what you want to do with your money.
Personally, i'd wait till your at least 19.

Are you sure Tesco will insure you at 19? They refused me saying that you need to be 21 on a car with that spec.