ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Dynoed today

Just had the Clio rolling roaded at ATSpeed in Rayleigh, Essex today. Car made 166bhp with a ktec panal filter, ktec decat and Janspeed straight through, happy with that, car on an W plate and on 107k :)

225 Cup & Williams
Not a bad figure seems you have a healthy one. I'm getting mine dyno'd next weekend I'll be happy if it makes 160 bhp tbh.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I took mine down there a few weeks back for a power run, i paid £50 for 3 runs with printouts

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
What ft/lbs torque did it get? And did you have a flatspot on the power curve with the decat?

Not sure about the torque, the power curve was quite smooth until 5500 then it just stays level up until the redline, was talking to a guy there said matched inlets wiuld sort that out?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I have matched inlets, decat, k tec stealth. The power curve dips between 4.5k and 5.5k

172bhp

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Is £50 a good or bad price?

Ricardos did your's make 172bhp with those modifications?

I think £50 is about right.

Yeah thats what it made with those mods, i don't know if that's a good thing or not TBH as it made 171bhp at Powerstation in Gloucester 3 years ago with a std engine bar an air filter! I take RR figures with a pinch of salt. As mentioned in my project thread maybe a remap might benefit what i've had done, it most certainly should take out the flat spot.

PH1 172
I think £50 is about right.

Yeah thats what it made with those mods, i don't know if that's a good thing or not TBH as it made 171bhp at Powerstation in Gloucester 3 years ago with a std engine bar an air filter! I take RR figures with a pinch of salt. As mentioned in my project thread maybe a remap might benefit what i've had done, it most certainly should take out the flat spot.

TBH never really looked at prices of RR days so didn't know if it was or not lol

I think 172bhp with those mods is reasonable tbh after all the cars don't make 172bhp to start off with and more like mid 160s anyway so a gain of say 7-10bhp seems fair....If you haven't had it mapped then that will defo help you out with your flat spot.

Clio 172, BMW Mini
Hi all the 172/182/197 in the Clio title refers to the Metric horsepower which measures in PS ( "Pherda Starke") which is German for horsepower, so a 172 is 172 PS which equates to 166 Brake horse power under the british system, Renault have used this to sort of massage the figures for UK also 172 rolls off
the tongue quite well, just sounds right.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
  clio sport 172 ph2
i dynoyed my car last year, a 172 Phase 2, and i got 173 BHP, all i had done was a pipercross coned air filter, car done around 60K miles

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Had mine on RSTuning's rollers a couple of months ago. Its got an ITG Panel Filter, Matched Inlets, K-tec Re-map and K-tec cat-back exhaust and it made 171 bhp and 150 ib/ft.

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
What ft/lbs torque did it get? And did you have a flatspot on the power curve with the decat?

Forgot to add, I have just put a de-cat on and this is the first time i have heard of a flat spot. Can you tell me anymore about it?

53 Clio's & counting
The standard ECU copes pretty well with breathing mods, it should be able to adjust to compensate.

When I built my itb's, I ran that on the standard map for 200 miles - was down on power obviously, but it never ran too lean to be dangerous - big thumbs up for the standard ECU there.

Though I will agree the power dip would be ironed out by a map :)

53 Clio's & counting
So on a 172 with a re-map and a de-cat there should be no flat spot?

Depends who carries out the map, iv known gineric remaps still have a flat spot, a custom map will always be best. Also a flat spot can be caused by a number of things, wrong map reading, wrong inlet temp reading, wrong lambda reading - it is not always as simple as a map will sort it

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Depends who carries out the map, iv known gineric remaps still have a flat spot, a custom map will always be best. Also a flat spot can be caused by a number of things, wrong map reading, wrong inlet temp reading, wrong lambda reading - it is not always as simple as a map will sort it

Sound mate. Ive only just fitted my de-cat but i havent noticed anything yet. Ill get it on rollers whenever a dyno day comes up to get it checked over.

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
It sounds ok mate. It sounds like it used to do until you take it over 3000 rpm. I wasnt too bothered about noise, I just wanted a 172 with 172 bhp.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Did they not strap your car down? Don't seem to careful when putting the car on the rollers either tbh.

clio sport 172 ph2
Did they not strap your car down? Don't seem to careful when putting the car on the rollers either tbh.

yes they did, they strapped all the cars down where possible, the video was editied, you can see the straps to the toe eye

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
The standard ECU copes pretty well with breathing mods, it should be able to adjust to compensate.

When I built my itb's, I ran that on the standard map for 200 miles - was down on power obviously, but it never ran too lean to be dangerous - big thumbs up for the standard ECU there.

Though I will agree the power dip would be ironed out by a map :)

Mapping is definitely my next step, it's all down to money. TDF is the place i'd like to take it to have it mapped. For what it's worth it's only run on Shell V Power and don't really use the Clio that much at the moment.

To me the breathing were the main things to get done, and knew a map would need to be done afterwards to amend the differences

Just had a look at the graph the 116 torque is at 7000 but the peak torque is 131 at 5250 so it just drops down, also have to point out this is at the wheels not at the fly.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Hi all the 172/182/197 in the Clio title refers to the Metric horsepower which measures in PS ( "Pherda Starke") which is German for horsepower, so a 172 is 172 PS which equates to 166 Brake horse power under the british system, Renault have used this to sort of massage the figures for UK also 172 rolls off
the tongue quite well, just sounds right.

Cheers Chris

Not that it really matters but 172 ps is 169.64 hp. The 172 is a din hp rating as listed in renaults literature for the car. The other figure for the 172 is 124 KW (iso) which is 166.278 hp.

182 hp is 179.51 ps. 131.5 kw (listed in 2005 renault brochure) is 176.34 hp. I read somewhere that some countries have to display KW for an engines output but can use hp as a supplementary figure. Hence the inflated din rating.

So if you've managed to get 172 from a 172 or 182 from a 182 in proper hp your doing well.

The VVT is supposed to back off again at 6500rpm so that could cause it but i didn't think the drop was that fast!? Someone that knows the engine better will know for sure. The shift light or the idiot light as some strangely call it comes on at 6600rpm in my 182 so it shouldn't matter too much unless you really need to push it to the redline.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Not that it really matters but 172 ps is 169.64 hp. The 172 is a din hp rating as listed in renaults literature for the car. The other figure for the 172 is 124 KW (iso) which is 166.278 hp.

182 hp is 179.51 ps. 131.5 kw (listed in 2005 renault brochure) is 176.34 hp. I read somewhere that some countries have to display KW for an engines output but can use hp as a supplementary figure. Hence the inflated din rating.

So if you've managed to get 172 from a 172 or 182 from a 182 in proper hp your doing well.

The VVT is supposed to back off again at 6500rpm so that could cause it but i didn't think the drop was that fast!? Someone that knows the engine better will know for sure. The shift light or the idiot light as some strangely call it comes on at 6600rpm in my 182 so it shouldn't matter too much unless you really need to push it to the redline.

Correction it would seem HP DIN and PS are the same thing. Sorry!

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
Just had my 182 remapped by Ktec and got 190bhp. Better pickup as well as more go. Very pleased as will anyone be who buys it, as it is going up for sale soon!