ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 engine in 182, rev limit?

Clio 182 FF
My 182 needs a new engine, im lead to believe that 182's have a higher rev limit than 172's? If a 172 engine block is put into my car would it still be able to reach the higher rev limits that a 182 have? Also I had noticed 182 engine codes are F4R 738 and a 172 is F4R 736, why is this and what's the difference? Any help is appreciated.

Clio 182 FF
Ah okay, someone told me the 172 got its optimum power output at 5500rpm and 182 at 6500rpm? Guess it wouldn't matter if I dropped a 172 engine in then?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Peak power RPM could be different, but the rev limit isn't.

Clio 182 FF
Okay mate, thanks for the help! So technically it would drive exactly the same with a 172 engine in it?

Yup. The 4-2-1 manifold on the 182s is what supposedly gives it that bit more power, so as long as you keep that then you'll be fine.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I don't know, just i've owned both so knew the Rev limits where the same.

I know 172 engines fit 182s but no idea what has to be done to make them work.

182Sport + R21Turbo
I had a 172 engine put in my 182 only last week. I have been told by many that the 172s are a stronger engine...I can't notice a great deal of power loss to be honest pal.

The 182 inlet fits right on. The inlet only has 1 port that is different.

Right ! I tried to run a phase 2 172 inlet on my 182 and the rocker cover is different so it runs with a vacuum leak at the back ! That's why I'm confused there is two bolts that hold it down on the rocker on my 182 and only 1 on the phase 2 172 !

I suppose of your running it the opposite way it should be to bad difference having more bolts but I was told all the inlets phase 1 172 phase 2 172 and 182 are different and not interchangeable hence my advice !

Last edited by a moderator:
  182Sport + R21Turbo
Chuck an air filter on the breather sorted!

Or loop it back into the intake

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a slight difference between the breather plate and the Inlet. The breather plate doesn't extend into the inlet on the 182. The breather plate doesn't have the CC take off like the 172. The 172 Inlet doesn't have the CC take off like the 172 one does.

There is a slight difference between the breather plate and the Inlet. The breather plate doesn't extend into the inlet on the 182. The breather plate doesn't have the CC take off like the 172. The 172 Inlet doesn't have the CC take off like the 172 one does.

Right I think I get you ! 182 has a carbon canister take off the 172 has a breather set up? The last bit confused me ! But I get the idea basically that's why you need to keep it but how do you get around the rocker cover set up then ? Because surely it will create a vac leak like I got ?