ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 engine mounts

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
I own a ph2 172 and I know that at least 1 of my engine mounts have gone/are going.

When accelerating hard to the top of the rev range I can hear a repeating hitting noise, which my mate says is the cat hitting the heat shield. Solution: dogbone mount bushes, bought from K-tec, awaiting fitting.

I also have a problem when I'm in a low gear, let off and then accelerate hard, and you can hear the engine hitting the bulkhead, and the movement is so bad that when I get right near the limiter when accelerating the plug on top of the coil pack is dislodged and the engine cuts out!

Now, here is my predicament. I went to Renault today to price up 3 engine mounts. The 3 the guy came back with was the main upper engine mount on the cambelt side, the upper gearbox mount on the battery side and the dogbone mount. I showed him this picture off K-Tec

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2471&catid=5&appid=2&pic=1

He said that this mount is at the front of the gearbox (lower gearbox mount on the K-tec site) and that this shouldn't be too much of a problem to cause my movement.

Now, do I just replace the 2 upper mounts and replace the dogbone bushes, or do the one above as well?

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone else? Not disreputing your advice, just want some more input.

Would just the bushes in that mount being poor affect that it that much? And does it make sense that the coil pack plug is being dislodged through heavy acceleration?

RB FF 182
I had my dogbone uprated recently, but also changed the other two anyway. (2002 172 on 78,000 miles, still running original mounts!)

My car feels 1000x better than it did, and apparently my upper gearbox mount was hanging on by a thread so it's a good job I had it changed. You will notice vibration on idle due to the dogbone bush but you soon get used to it, and it wears off apparently.

I had a harsh vibration after 5000k revs, and also a knocking on quick pull-off. I can't begin to describe how much better it is, and when I compaire engine movement now to what it was before it's loads better.

PM Rob. He sells mounts loads cheaper than Renault or Ktec!!

No idea why your coil pack plug is dislodging though... do you mean one of the plugs in the engine is popping out, or a plug on the coil pack it's self??

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
The plug from the wiring loom that plugs onto the coilpack pops off.

Thanks for the info. Will pm him later on.

Clio 172mk2
doesnt that have a metal clip or some thing so it cant be pulled out, check the plug or connectors not broke, but shud be enough cable for how far the engine moves

RB FF 182
The plug from the wiring loom that plugs onto the coilpack pops off.

Thanks for the info. Will pm him later on.

Ah I know what you mean now.

It should clip in. And to unplug it you have to press the clip in so that it releases.

I suppose if the plug is damage it could work loose.

I'm afraid I have no idea how you could stop that happening :-S