ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 engine tuning

Ferrari enzo
BenR said:
We'll never reach bike technology/level.......we just cant build them as tall as you, the K20a is already overly tall ;)

plus you only have to tug round 12 ounces of fuel and 45g of chassis. lol
Don't forget the 2kg of BS i also have to carry onboard:D

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Neil82cup said:
EVOgone said:
For your questions :-

20-60 (2nd gear) prob wont be much in it but then again most cars with even more hp wouldnt, this advantage is due to the lighter weight of the clio. From 3rd onward it would pull away and continue to do so..just like caterhams elises are really quick to 60 but above the advantage gets less and less as hp comes in to the force.
QUOTE]

You obviously aint seen my car go, but lets get it back on topic...

You aint seen a sys R car go either....terminals are 103-105 the clio wont be doing that with those mods..

CTR vs Clio day.....?????

Audi TT 225
Tuning for me isn't just about sheer speed or acceleration.

Tuning implies making something to work better or to the best of its abilities. I rate improving drivability higher than getting more power. Dont get me wrong more power is good but its nothing if the rest of your car is pants...

Regardless of the car, the essentials for me are:-

Breathing: IK, manifolds, zorst's to get better throttle response, free up the rev range and improve acceleration.

Remap: to make best use of breathing mods and this ensures your car is running exactly as it should be.

Suspension/bushes: to lower the centre of gravity, improve handling, give better feel of the road and car.

Uprated disks/pads: again for better response and safety. Before one goes faster one should be albe to stop ;)

Rubber/light weight alloys: state the obvious but high quality rubber will keep you on the road in all conditions, light weight alloys again improve handling and reduce weight.

To top it off you should use quality oils, plugs, filters etc and obviously have the car serviced regular.

At this stage you'll have a well performing beast in every department making your car "better" than standard and much more drivable and fun, still got cash? Go for power mods like cams...

I mean how often are you going to be racing your car? Your going to spend more time using it for every day stuff so it makes sense to improve the things you use every day.... drivability!

The end lol

EVOgone said:
Neil82cup said:
You aint seen a sys R car go either....terminals are 103-105 the clio wont be doing that with those mods..

CTR vs Clio day.....?????

Was doing 14.2@101 before the Maxogen, so add that and a new 182 manifold (like for like mods with CTR you mention) to my Cup and im pretty sure i'd not be to far off. Time will tell though, new head,inlet and unchip will be on for next 1/4 mile day.

Anyway lets get this back on topic, pm if you want (wouldnt mind seeing some more details on these mods, whats the best CTR forum?)

Neil82cup said:
How close would a modded 172 head like the one i'm getting get to a CTR head for flow?

Its a diferent league, a std honda head basically flows more than a well done renault. The K20A head can suport a 2.7ltr bottom end, the renault cannot.

The K20 is a brand new engine, the F4R is an evolution of renault thought.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Neil82cup said:
EVOgone said:
Was doing 14.2@101 before the Maxogen, so add that and a new 182 manifold (like for like mods with CTR you mention) to my Cup and im pretty sure i'd not be to far off. Time will tell though, new head,inlet and unchip will be on for next 1/4 mile day.

Anyway lets get this back on topic, pm if you want (wouldnt mind seeing some more details on these mods, whats the best CTR forum?)

http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/

MarkM said:
hmmm^^^ seems like rather alot for those mods.

Check out this thread for some modified cars with power figures graphs etc.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=104764

Throttle bodied cars are running around 220bhp to 225bhp (with 182 exhaust manifolds).

Yozzas car has the most work done to it including balanced bottom end lightened flywheel etc.

What sort of rpm are you looking at going to?

The OMEX standalone ECU is used as an affordable solution, alot cheaper then a Motec anyway.

As Gary mentioned AWT is a good place to source your cams. BenR will also be developing a new inlet manifold soon which maybe worth a look instead of useing throttle bodies.

don't mince words, he's talking ar$e is what you meant! ;)

timdog said:
That would be why the tuning potential is so limited then compared to stuff like the duratec.

Part of it, but we just dont have the valve area or port design. We have basically zero short side, no flat floor, great quench but shrouding, poor valve seat design and geometry.

Its good for a renault, i guess thats the best way to put it.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Neil82cup said:
EVOgone said:

Think you car is a one off as no other clio really come near it for the same mods, most are terminals of 92-95. The CTRs are very consistant in there performance with and without mods.......