ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 for £9000 OR 182 for £12500-£13000

Simple question..............

If you had the choice right now to get a low miles 172 for £9000 or a brand new 182 for £12500-£13000 (inc. cup pack) then what would you go for ?

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Just saw the review of the new 182 on SKY, I was impressed. Id say buy the 182 and get the Sport suspension upgrade!

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

3grand on top of a 9000 is a lot of tuning/modding money, so personally Id take the 172.

Yup i would go for the 172, the 182 isnt THAT much faster, and personally i dont like the twin exit tail pipes - hard to mod ;)

For the extra 3k, you could get the 172 to go fatser than the 182

insignia

no mate im in the same boat as you,and i am now happy to say that i will wait for the 182.the only people who would say dont wait are people who are already driving 172 and will not be buying the new IMPROVED version 182

Mk2 Golf GTI

lunner doesnt have a 172, i dont have a 172. and i say still go for the 172. With a bit extra im sure you could have a throttle body conversion an push out a hell of a lot more than a 182. And at least with the 172, many of the first niggles will be sorted already.

And you dont have to have the dodgy tailpipes, worry as much about depreciation or run it in

That is one thing putting me off getting a 182, the thought of losing pretty much £2,000 as soon as you drive it away is something I dont know if I am prepared to do AGAIN ! Done it once already with the first 172.

Also, there has to be niggles with the first batch of 182s so it could benefit to wait a while until they are ironed out and get the 172 for now.

And, the tailpipes are just too small ! Why make them that small !!?!?! Crazy !

For less money and smaller chance of huge depreciation I think it has to be the 172.... for now.

Id go for the 172 personally. Sess depreciation Any new car buyer knows what its like to loose a fortune after driving of the forcourt.

But you can get 182 with cup suspension for £11.5K I belive. So the fact that a 182 will be a year more modern will increase its value by about 600 in 3yrs time IMO. Also the next service in a 172 will be more expensive than the 182 one. Also tyres are new on the 182 which saves some more along with brakes also road fund licence when you count all them in that can come to a far bit.

In my opinion it is about £1k to own a 182 over a 172. Weather is worth it I dont know depedns how much money you have.

EDD

Go second hand, Ive just been offered £9,500 for my 8 month old UK car :( in a trade in!

Not bad only lost £500 per month of ownership so far! (Thank fook I didnt pay list price)

Potster, I lost £300 a month when I sold my first 172 after owning it from new. Put me off a bit but then I did not keep it long so it was partly my own fault as I sold it within the first year where all the money comes off !

The Monaco Blue 172 I am buying has 4 brand new tyres on it, taxed, mint condition with only 9500 miles on the clock for just under £9000 so I think that is a good deal ?

Also, have to ask the same question as Paul_CTR, where can you get one for £11.5k WITH cup suspension ? You cant even get the base 182 for that unless you know someone in the trade and even then I imagine it would be hard to get that price as the cup pack is £500 on top anyway IIRC ?

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

If I had to buy right now then a 172 - in a years time I would go for the 182 it gets much better reviews and is probably better made due to them dealing with all the small problems on the 172.

Yours sounds very good though Dai.

Cheers greeper ! I am excited about it and then in a years time I may look at the 182 if they bring that yellow into the UK ! When I heard it wasnt coming as a standard colour that made up my mind for me !

No idea where you can get a 182 for £11.5k but Im sure someone posted a link to the website a while back.

Renault Laguna Coupe

£9000 is a steal for an 02 with that mileage - mate of mine paid £10,400 for an 02 with 19k on it a couple of months back. Lots of money left for mods mods mods :)

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I paid 10,750 for a 9month old 03 plated car, and I have to admit if Im honest, part of me wanted to wait for the 182.

But I went for the 172 as I had the part ex and it was always going to go down in value the longer I waited etc so decided it was the right thing to do at the time.

Now Ive got the 172, do I regret it? Hell no, Ive had soo much fun already in the 4 weeks Ive owned her, that I wouldnt swap it now :) The look on people faces when you blat past them in "just a clio" mwahahahaha :D