ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 for CTR

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I can see the MPV thing but I still think it looks great from any angle and I still havent made my mind up whether to get a CTR, Cup or 172!!!!!!!

Oh dear that gallery aint too good, The silver ones look like any old boring car and what about the tw*t with the black one whos had his rear windows tinted, its now a panel van!

looks best in sulver actually

i gotta stick up for reno here. ive had no problems with reno in general and we had our first 172 replaced after a recourring fault could never be fixed. our second 172 is spot on, no problems whatso ever none of the common faults.

but yeah even if the civic is built in swindon,. it is engineered so well that built quality will be good wherever it is built

wongy

Same here, but im cleaning by black clio every frickin day because of it which is why i wont be getting another car in black.

I managed to get a 5 lap stint in a Civic yesterday.

The engine was better than i remembered, it was certainly less VTEC than i remembered on the road drive i took it on, torque was actually quite reasonable at low revs, i was impressed. Straight line speed was also good, id say about as good as 172, but splitting hairs to differentiate the two.

For normal road tyres the car gripped well, my worry was that it wouldnt be able to put the power down without a fight but it wasnt really a problem. Handling wise though, the best word i can think of is numb, the feedback i wanted just wasnt there and as you can imagine this isnt very helpful when youre trying to be commited. Even though its not too much heavier than a clio that extra weight still pissed me off a lot, like a lot of hot hatch backs its just not the same anymore, theyve grown up too much!

However once again, that gearbox, WOW! The position and action of it was superb, so much better than the clios.

So, overall the plus points are the engine and gearbox but the main minus point is the handling which is a major thing for me. Most people wont go for it 80% on the road, let alone 100% so i couldnt blame anyone for getting a CTR as its perfectly capable but personally i wouldnt. Ill also stand by my claim that it looks butt ugly, it was parked next to a grey S3 which looked boring but so much more handsome than the CTR!

Anyway hope this helps anyone thinking of getting a CTR or 172.

-Rob

Handling felt numb eh...... I will have to see that for myself but 4 now I will take ur word for it.... Is it just the feed back from the front wheels or the whole package? I think it uses that electric power steering like the 1.2 clios do... In the reviews they have said the electric steering is sh*t for the road feedback but im fine with it, in my car I know exactly whats going on, im currently driving a new corsa though while mines being repaired and that power steering is sh*te!

End of the day ive had a clio and I want a change 4 my next car.... when the time comes I will test drive a lot of cars and make my judgement then. Cheers for the input though rob

Im not sure what you mean by whole package but yes the feedback was what let it down, it wasnt wooly or anything.

I know as you like the looks of the CTR i wouldnt blame you for getting one.

Id love to try a focus but cant see it happening, and i dont think ford allow extended test drives. Leon isnt good enough, nor is S3, maybe R32 golf?

-Rob

Na dont lile Golfs they are pants.... I do like the looks of the CTR but I also like honda build.... As u have said the Gearbox is faultless and the engine is sweet... I prob wont buy a new one coz they are like 16k but one 2 years old should be 12 or so.....

Lol Nips.... I thought that was something I played with on my bird.... Ive never heard japs being called nips...... Hmmmmm......