ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 for track/road advice

Lotus Evora
Hi All,

Ive just got myself a 2003 Clio 172, I only really bought it as it was cheap and local instead of a hire car while my daily driver is in having some work done for a couple weeks, but its a good little car and i think I'll hang onto it and do some track days in it, its got 80k on it and its pretty tidy. Ive always liked them so thought it would be good to try one.

So, with that in mind Id like some advice on what i should do with the car. If its any good out the box on a track?

My thoughts before i take it on track:
1. It needs the engine mounts doing (How easy is this to do myself?)
2. It needs brakes & braided lines
3. Put on a de cat pipe

After that i think i will see how it goes and probably do something between track days. Go for some suspension, full exhaust, induction etc. But i don't want to make it too loud, ideally no louder at all. My main car is a Lotus Evora, which while it does have seats in the back and my little boy fits in with his car seat, it would be nice to use the Clio sometimes so I don't want to make it an all out track car. Just do a few bits to improve it fairly subtly.

Any suggestions welcome.

Phil

RenaultSport 172
For brakes just get some better dicsc & pads. You can swap them over yourself quite easily and change the brake likes and fluid at the same time. You can get an ezebleed kit from halfords and its very easy to do.
If you're not 100% sure though, just buy all the gear and give it to a trusted garage to do.

Why a decat? Is it worth it? Just means you could fail the mot and have to change it back every year for the test.

The lower gearbox mount is very easy to change. I've not done the others but I don't think they are too hard. If you join up as a paid member you can see a guide on how to do it in the guides section

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Do essential things (like the engine mounts) and leave everything else. Go and do a few trackdays, decide what you want to change.

There is no set route when it comes to modifying these things, I myself think they're adequate out of the box, the perfect balance of on road usability and on track capability. My 172 Cup stayed standard for the first 100k of its 125k mile life with me and I had as much fun (and pace) as everyone else.

Others will say you'll have to upgrade the anti-roll-bar, you'll need to change all the bushings, get some adjustable strut-top mounts, blah blah blah etc. but you don't actually NEED to do any of them to enjoy the car.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Engine mounts are easy. Just bear in mind the bolts may put up a fight but it's easy work. If you get standard mounts and bolt it all up as far forward as it can go you shouldn't get the irritating Knocks these are known for. If you slam it from gear to gear then it may still happen.

Usually brembo HC discs and Uprated pads are the way most people go but I find the standard ones good enough for a 15min session.

I have a kwik fit special exhaust on mine and a cheapo cat. Goes well enough for me.

They do need a little driving tuition to get the best from if your starting from scratch but once you got turning in in them sussed your away.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Welcome along

As mentioned , just do the things that need replacing first

If the brakes need doing, may as well put some more track focused brake pads on at the same time

Should be able to change engine mounts yourself. There is a good guide in the relevant section with part numbers etc

If/when you become a member you'll get full forum access including the market place and Traders sections, you'll be able to get everything you'd need from on here in one way or another

The membership fee will pay for itself in no time at all mate

Also photos of Evora when you get chance

Lotus Evora
Thanks guys, I think i will order the engine mounts then and start with the gearbox one and a set of discs and pads, Ive already looked at the Brembo ones so i may go for those i think. Donnington on the 19th Sept so I'll go along to that for a shakedown along with a couple of friends i do some tuition for.

Warwickstingray - completely agree with tuition, best way to improve pace safely. Im a retired racer so often provide tuition myself, so really just want a nice sorted car that I can take along and do some laps in too. The Evora is great but i don't want to wear it out too much!

Fantom - was thinking the decat as its a cheap way of letting the engine breathe better, i saw k-tec do a silenced one so thinking of that, then may swell do the rest of the system? But if anyone has it id be keen to hear of your experiences. One of the things the Evora is having done at the moment is a full system and 2 of the 3 cats removed and a rolling road tune to have it release some extra power, but mostly just to make it that little bit more responsive.

Addicted - Cant see how to get a pic into this post but link here for a pic of Evora on flickr https://flic.kr/p/oyWTcy

Thanks for all your comments guys, big help :)

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Retired racer. You'll have no trouble getting some pace out the Clio then. You may find the electronic throttle a little tardy. Some say it takes a little time to get used to it for heel and toe. I'm sure you'll manage though. If I can anyone can! The cat will release some power as that's all Renault did for the 182. 4-1 manifold became 4-2-1. Cat became a sports cat of sorts and a different exhaust system. It's not a huge difference though and is quite expensive for what you get. If you've got money to spend though there is no reason why not.

Rs tuner is a worthwhile mod and raises the rev limit a little and sort some fuelling issues but these are a long stroke engines so high revs means high piston speeds. Also valve heads are a problem on some cars. Overall within their original rev limit they are very solid. The odd run up a straight where a gear change doesn't work is a usual place to use the extra few revs the RS tuner brings.

To be honest the lower lap times your experience will find over most of us would be worth far more than breathing mods would bring :)