ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Front Disc Torx Bolts

Clio 172, Subaru Legacy
Does anyone know what size Torx bolts are used to hold the 172 front discs on?

Gonna put Brembo discs and EBC Green Stuff pads (from Yozzasport) on at the weekend....

I think you'll find the bolts come with the disks mate. They certainly did with my new front disks on my cup.

EDIT - Just re-read the post, lol. I assume you mean what size bit to use?

I think it was about 4mm.

Clio 172, Subaru Legacy
Sorry Dave, the post wasn't very clear! :eek:

I did mean what size bit! The Torx bits have 'T' sizes i.e. T27 - I don't suppose you remember which one it was?

Lionel Richie
its T25 or T30 i think

strangley the brembo discs only come with 2 screws, don't bother using them anyway, use the originals, the new ones sit slightly proud of the disc anyway, which could cause problems

Audi S3 225
That’s if u can get the old ones off, ive had to drill out my torx screws on both occasions when changing my front disks, on my old car and new. I just used the new ones that came with the disks.

I read that the screws aren’t necessary anyway as once the disks are worn on with the wheel holding them on they won’t come off

Lionel Richie
easy

take wheels off and jack car up
spray with WD40 and leave for a good 10min
get a mate to stand on the brake pedal while you undo them

2003 MKII 172
I'm about to do the same, and the dealer couldn't tell me the size for the torx bits. There shouldn't be any diference to Australian spec cars right?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
storms_of_fate said:
I'm about to do the same, and the dealer couldn't tell me the size for the torx bits. There shouldn't be any diference to Australian spec cars right?

I would imagine the are the same size . The disks can be a bit of b*****d to get off if they've been on a long while , put some copper grease on the hub when you fit the new disks , it'll make it easier next time you come to take em off .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Jonesy said:
That’s if u can get the old ones off, ive had to drill out my torx screws on both occasions when changing my front disks, on my old car and new. I just used the new ones that came with the disks.

I read that the screws aren’t necessary anyway as once the disks are worn on with the wheel holding them on they won’t come off

Obviously they won't come off , but they might spin round .Torx screw just holds em in place .

2003 MKII 172
MRBILLYUK said:
I would imagine the are the same size . The disks can be a bit of b*****d to get off if they've been on a long while , put some copper grease on the hub when you fit the new disks , it'll make it easier next time you come to take em off .

thanks mate, probably will just buy a fullset of bits as opposed to guess which one. Might be easier this way. Planning to use the hammer method, it's not like you are going to use the old discs in anymore capacity than maybe make it into part of a furniture or something. :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
storms_of_fate said:
thanks mate, probably will just buy a fullset of bits as opposed to guess which one. Might be easier this way. Planning to use the hammer method, it's not like you are going to use the old discs in anymore capacity than maybe make it into part of a furniture or something. :)

If your using a hammer , don't be afraid to give it an almighty belt , i couldn't shift mine with a hammer , had to borrow a bearing puller from work then hit it with a hammer . It was on solid .

2003 MKII 172
Well it's done, the front's been changed. 10pm, no dinner, covered in brake dust and others... hmm loctite... :eek: oh oh!

Anyway, T40 Torx, 18mm caliper bolt socket... didn't have end up using a 19 and worked well, but wouldn't try again. My dsics actually came off very easily, bit of shove and they're off. Cleaned everything with brake cleaner, loctite all the bolts that came off and went for a test drive.

I've noticed noise from the wheels, they're like crickets at night, but very mild, gets more noisy when you actually apply the brakes. But the sound comes from both sides, so should be okay? Smoke was coming out of both ends as well, but now after 20 something kays... wait, you guys use... about 10 miles (bloody hell! :) ) no more smoke, but noise still there, and you can feel small griding/vibration on the pedal.

I'm using EBC green pads on EBC discs. Are the above normal? I've never changed to slotted etc discs before on any other car, so I guess I have no clue what is normal and what's not. I know they are consistent...

cheers

Karl

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Probably just the pads bedding into the disc . I used ebc greenstuff pads and turbo groove discs ages ago on a Pug 306 . I did find that the discs can warp easier than a standard disc , but you can look forwards to havin nice , cleaner alloys than before , hardly any dust created :)

I bed em in by braking with my left foot while on the accelerator , never had a problem doin it this way . Don't put your head through the windscreen tho' , lol ;)

If its still vibrating after a week or 2 i would check the run out on the disc , sometimes moving it round 180 degrees can sort it .

2003 MKII 172
MRBILLYUK said:
Probably just the pads bedding into the disc . I used ebc greenstuff pads and turbo groove discs ages ago on a Pug 306 . I did find that the discs can warp easier than a standard disc , but you can look forwards to havin nice , cleaner alloys than before , hardly any dust created :)

I bed em in by braking with my left foot while on the accelerator , never had a problem doin it this way . Don't put your head through the windscreen tho' , lol ;)

If its still vibrating after a week or 2 i would check the run out on the disc , sometimes moving it round 180 degrees can sort it .
hehehe I'll do my best to avoid new windscreen mate! So far going alright, still some smoke but not much anymore. Still noise, but I'll give it a go later... I am going to the Melb GP tomorrow so no run in till next week! I had EBC pads on the car before, withthe stock disc, no dust is soo good! I went with EBC disc cause the pads weren't bad, and a lot of poeple seems to think its better when you have both EBC disc and pads so I thought I'd give it a go. A bunch of guys on the OZ forum have bought Brembos... so You know I'm not going to be oh another one. Gonna get some goodridge lines to put in as well. The car already has a set of Eibach Sportlines (thanks to yozza), and a BMC CDA. It's going somewhere I'm sure hehe. Cheers mate.

Karl

Last edited:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
storms_of_fate said:
hehehe I'll do my best to avoid new windscreen mate! So far going alright, still some smoke but not much anymore. Still noise, but I'll give it a go later... I am goign to the Melb GP tomorrow so no run in till next week! Cheers mate.

Karl

Lucky you , enjoy the Grand Prix mate :) Who ya rootin for ?

2003 MKII 172
MRBILLYUK said:
Lucky you , enjoy the Grand Prix mate :) Who ya rootin for ?
me? hehe you guys get to enjoy any of the European races with ease! come on! hehe Going for The Renault Team offcourse! I need Alonso to win, caus ei bet with a mate at work that he would. But I would love to see Fisi win again, that man deserves to be on top. And Nico should stand on the podium somehwere I reckon.

the torx screws only hold the disk to the hub when it's new.

Technically you don't even need them as your wheel bolts hold them to the hub too :)