ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 fuel pump / pressure query

You may be aware im putting the F7R based engine from my current car into a Mk2 shell.

As it was on a Mk1 it had a high pressure motorsport fuel pump, a fuel rail with return to the tank and a PRV set to keep 3bar fuel pressure in the rail.

Now when it goes into the Mk2 the stock pump doesnt have a return, which is where I have a problem.

Now, my question is: Does the standard 172 pump incorporate a PRV to keep the correct pressure in the fuel rail, as there is no return to the pump?

And if so, what pressure does the standard pump supply to the rail?

As far as I can see it I have 2 options:

Fit a pump with a return, or fit a non-return fuel rail; but that will only work if the stock pump can supply and keep the required 3 bar pressure...

Lionel Richie
3.5bar off the top of my head, i've never had to modify the fuel system, and thats on a 240bhp engine

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
i am having to fit a swirl pot, race pump, filter, return, fuel presure reg and using the 172 pump as a lifter pump

i am having to fit a swirl pot, race pump, filter, return, fuel presure reg and using the 172 pump as a lifter pump

Wheres that all going? In the spare wheel well?

What do you think will be easiest, converting the existing system to a return type or the engine to a non return rail?