ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Going

Clio 200 FF

Well after a year its time to say goodbye to the 172.

its had it niggly probs - remote not locking car, knocking on full lock at slow speeds, rattles, nothing major just niggles which i am/ was impressed with compared to previous cars.

well on the way back from the dealers yesterday the stop and oil light came on twice (for a second) which concerned me as the oil level is spot on, the raspy exhaust has got a lot worse on acceleration and the 2 from tyres are just legal. Under the front seat the carpet is wet and more rattles have appeared?

seems 17k is the lifespan of the car before the big bills appear - hope it lasts another week

Clio 200 FF

not as quick as the 172 standard but mods are a lot cheaper and the chip gains (abt claim 207bhp, revo claim 197bhp) give a lot of power/ torque for the money.

Better build quality, better ride (not too bad with the 18s) and subtle looks - oh and 2 groups lower on the insurance :)

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

The Golf is an all round better car and with the mods sould put it up in the same league as the 172 and CTR but it is not as much pure fun as the 172. Should turn more heads though :D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Well I can honestly say a golf has never turned my head (okay maybe the mk1/2s) but the golf gtis have grown up and become and old mans car .. in my opinion of course.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 28 December 2003

R32?!

Theyre mint.
Nice, but not that quick for 25k. Would have to be an S3 for me in that sort of money.

Like the R32 and S3 - VWs often use better materials but are now "always" better built;) My manager will be glad to see the back of his TDi.

if i was speniding 25k on a car I would be behind the wheel of a Lotus Exige... mmmmm

Defo wouldnt entertain a golf at that money!

Friend of mine has the Gti Anniversary its a diesel one and has 180bhp (i think) its nice but aint very eyecatchin

Im with you on the golf selection..as soon as Im back from my holiday in january my 172 is going for the same reasons, Its developing little rattles and at 24 Iv had it with hard unrefined problem hatches... sorry guys it is fun when it not playing up

My pal has just bought a 172 to replace his Golf GTI and in the 2 weeks hes had it, the garage has had more use of it than he has.

Going on what ive read on this forum looks like he will just have to get used to it!

Good choice on the 1.8t though, but if your looking to chip it then make Jabbasport your first stop!!!!

Clio 200 FF

well its a DBW car (drive by wire) so a chip gets an extra 10bhp over previous model (later vvt gets even more), some places quote 197bhp for £495 just by chipping. Exhausts, filters, etc are cheaper than clio ones and dont mess up the fueling either

172 was nice car but with the depreciation, rattles, etc i dont think ill regret changing - hope not :confused:

Really doubt you will see 197 hp with a DBW, the non-DBW VVT ones can goto about 195-205. You will make the same ammout of torque from what ive seen but will be a good 10 hp + down on power.

For example my Cup made 180 hp and on the same RR a DBW APR chipped Golf made 172 hp!!!!! but did make 210 lb ft. Also a Jabba tuned Octavia RS (180HP K03s turbo) which supposedly put out 230 hp at Jabba only put out 197 hp.....

dfdf

The main problem with the mk4 Golf GTi is a lack on handling ability though it could probably do with more power aswell. Its based on a relatively dated/poor chassis that geared towards understeer in the interests on safety so its fairly wooden to drive and doesnt hold the speed through corners very well. It also weighs around 1400kg so even given a fair amount of power it wont shift all that well without 4WD. In the Golfs favour its without a doubt the best built / trimmed car in its class by a long way.

Though having said that Id buy a R32 tomorrow if had enough money to buy/insure/run one :) Theyre seriously sweet motors.

Quote: Originally posted by Robby on 28 December 2003

Golf GTI 1.8T with 18s - 207bhp chip 1st on shopping list :D
Ahh, welcome to the world of dull but dependable motoring Rob.

Something like this perhaps?

This ones running on 17" Santa Monicas, 18s would look sweet though.

speak to JabbaSport, they managed to squeeze out almost 250bhp and close to 300lb/ft torque on an almost standard Ibiza Cupra, just by spending a whole day on the rollers mapping the fuelling etc when someone was was having a chip fitted, well worth the money IMHO

"It also weighs around 1400kg so even given a fair amount of power it wont shift all that well without 4WD"

4WD is heavier than FWD and RWD.

...makes me really depressed to hear people flogging clios. i have never had any probs with mine..some days it rattles..some it doesnt ? but it amazes me when people honeslty say there swapping them for CTRs GTIs RSFocus R32s etc... is a bit steep. 25k car unfair comparison thats 1/4 of a morgage for a northerner like me :oops:. and i cant afford one yet.. shame then, it gets compared to cars of a different price range like CTR and Cupra R / GTIs. I have a 53reg MKII RS172 and never once had anything i could call a problem more than what i did on my previous cars.. no timing errors.. no fanbelt probs...no brake squeeks no weird powersteering probs. thing is after all these problems i would be still driving the car? ive got used to an acceptable level of problems with previous motors and compared to these mines a dream. i like my 172 and this is my personal experience. but for 12K ?? even when i can afford to pay around 16K next time round will i have as much fun.... who knows.. maybe.. but balancing fun with income isnt always as easy.

Clio 200 FF

Looks goog Paranoia - mine has the 18" RS4 type wheels with 225 tyres(looks mean from the back), needs lowering for looks but i dont want a harsh ride so ill probably leave it looking like a 4wd.

It needs a lip type roof spoiler (R32 type) which is subttle but worthwile, the chip ? well ill have to look into it a bit more. I was told DBW cars get an extra 10bhp over previous models and VVT get another 10bhp on top when chipped - is this true? different bhps but same torque