ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 mk1 knocking (hard acceleration and over bumps) Renault Swin say that cant fix!?

Hello

got myself a 172 mk1 a while back for my run around car and im having a few issues that are really really bugging me (and yes ive done a search but thought id get peoples view)

there is a knocking noise when u accelerate hard in 1st or say at 5k in 2nd (this has only just started in 2nd) so im guessing this is going to be 1 of the three engine mounts? correct?

and there is also a knocking noise coming from the front left of the car when u go over bumps etc, if you drive down a cobbled street its very apparant!

now the issue is i have took the car to renault swindon, they have had it for 2, yes 2 days!!! and have greased the ARB and apparantly checked everything and say its the manifold hitting the sub frame (for fault number 1) and there is nothing they can do and that they all do it!!!! surely thats just b****cks? im sure they didnt do it from new!!!

and as for fault number 2, well they say its related?! i mean WTF!!!

any help/ suggestions appreciated!!

clio sport 172
Re: 172 mk1 knocking (hard acceleration and over bumps) Renault Swin say that cant f

Hi i had this on my 172 and it turned out to be the gearbox mount under the bat have a look it could be badly worn. My bolt was also worn that goes through the middle

ClioSport 172 Cup
Re: 172 mk1 knocking (hard acceleration and over bumps) Renault Swin say that cant f

Or it could be knackered top strut bush. The anti-roll bar sometimes knocks when you go over bumps too.

330i. E30 Touring.

Top gearbox mount, my money is on.

It's only about £20, and is easy enough to fit.

think im going to take it to renetech in bristol and get them to give it a quick going over

ill try the top gearbox mount one myself - is there a quick guide to this? and where can i get one - i guess renault is the best bet ?

soooo annoying that renault swindon and the "master technican" cant fix it!

ValverInBits

They need stiffer engine mounts from stock really. I'd be tempted by a Ktec dogbone bush in your position

S3, Polo

I had this problem!

I changed all of my mounts:
- Top mount - mount was dead, didn't fix it
- Top G-box mount - mount was perished, didn't fix it
- Gearbox dogbone, surprisingly, not in a bad way, but replaced it anyway with a Powerflex dogbone - fixed! Woohoo!

Glad I stuck with stock upper mounts because even the uprated dogbone makes the cabin quite vibey! It also makes the gearbox feel more positive!

Renault are shocking IME and should be avoided!