ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 mk2 locking

Help!

Ive just bought a 172, auto locking wasnt activated (locks @ 4mph), I mis read the manual and had key switched to acc then held button on key!

a bleep followed, i think by repeating this sequence i managed to reverse this, but, what had i done? did this disable alarm or something?

Couldnt find an answer in the manual, but i did read it again and then followed the instructions precisely to arm the auto locking, this worked.

Any ideas what I activated or not first attempt?

cheers

ps what is the small moulding like a small button but not on the underside of the nearside mirror, is there a purpose to it?

or did they just put it there to cause the whistling which i first experienced yesterday!! very amusing!

Quote: Originally posted by redmini on 18 September 2004

ps what is the small moulding like a small button but not on the underside of the nearside mirror, is there a purpose to it?
or did they just put it there to cause the whistling which i first experienced yesterday!! very amusing!
You have to put up with rattles with the Clio its just a fact of the cars.

The little button is an external temperature sensor it displays its readout on the radio readout.

funny place to put it but at least i know what it is now!

i can live with the rattles all cars have them, i bought a new 1.2 16v clio sport in 2001 was cracking but eventually (kept 2yrs) got bored of poor performance and poor economy mainly due to the 17s!

had three cars since then an audi, suzuki & daihatsu the latter being the only one which i kept more than three months! 172 seems ace so far economy is fairly reasonable considering as well

[Edited by redmini on 18 September 2004 at 5:21pm]

Ive just bought a 172, auto locking wasnt activated (locks @ 4mph), I mis read the manual and had key switched to acc then held button on key!
a bleep followed, i think by repeating this sequence i managed to reverse this, but, what had i done? did this disable alarm or something?

Couldnt find an answer in the manual, but i did read it again and then followed the instructions precisely to arm the auto locking, this worked.

Any ideas what I activated or not first attempt?
I think you activated the central locking recertification .

How long did you press the button for did the car lock and unlock? What about the engine imobiliser light? Does your other key work to lock and unlock the car?

To turn the central locking on turn the ignition on with the key and press the central locking key for 5 seconds until you hear a beep.

had three cars since then an audi, suzuki & daihatsu the latter being the only one which i kept more than three months! 172 seems ace so far economy is fairly reasonable considering as well
Was it one of those Daihatsu 2 seater sports cars things

They looked quite good wished Id had a test drive at the motorshow.

172 is very economical if your careful.

no it was a sirion rally 2, little 1.3 110bhp jobby, it was a good laff, loadsa understeer & 0-60 in 7.9 made roundabouts great fun!

not reliable enough though and my nearest dealer was 40 miles away and charged me the same labour rates for services as they did for the scoobys, wouldnt have minded if i had a scooby for a courtesy car, but they wouldnt even give me a test drive - gits!

no it was a sirion rally 2, little 1.3 110bhp jobby, it was a good laff, loadsa understeer & 0-60 in 7.9 made roundabouts great fun!
I like these little rally cars.

Wierd cars never heard of anone who ownered one. Saw the 4 version on TV once in a rally and it did very well.

Toyota engine with some tweeks (exhaust cam + Ik + exhaust work I think)

Could the handling not be fixed with some tweeks?

clio sport 172

BTW....the whistling inside the 172 will go away if u put the climate control on....even if u turn the fan right down!

oh ok thanks dannyh172, ill try that.

yup its the 1.3 yaris engine but different cam, induction and exhaust system.

the handling couldve been sorted but it really was fun, i lied a bit when i said understeer, the inside wheel would always spin up first, you could keep em spinning for laps of the roundabout just by controling the throttle, ie easing on and off the power

had a few suspension problems so didnt dare lower it, came with 185/55/15s which rubbed dealer diagnosed it and quoted me 400 odd quid so i phoned daihatsu hq who said it had been missed from the recall and sent me four free 175/55/15 continentals! just spent my life taking it back and forth to the dealers - shame really.

happy now though 172s a lot quicker, really like the little clio so far