ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Modifications.... (Sensible)

Clio 172 Mk2 Black
Morning All.

I am now on my 2nd 172 (mk2?) and would like to 'upgrade' it with some sensible modification, i.e NO dustbin lid exhausts, multi vented bonnets etc etc or any rubbish like that.

Ive read the forums and have found some great help regarding air filters i.e leave the original box and simply replace the filter with a performance model. However I would like to extract, if possible, a few more horses from under the bonnet, whether it be simple mid range torque or good old bhp increase again i see there is mixed views on here.

I am considering the following :-

sports/cat (mixed responses on forum) - any bhp difference ?
4 branch manifold - any bhp difference ?
re-map/chip -
replacement filter (as above)
upgraded and lowered suspension
light weight wheels (i like the turini? and pro race, black)

What i would like to know is if there is any benefit of the sports cat and manifold and if replaced would it make the car sound a tad to loud, what filter replacment to use, what sort of bhp/torque benefits could i acheive from remap, how low should i put the car and what size alloys should i go for 15 or 16. Note i dont want the car 'slammed' as it used
daily im just wondering if its worth lowering whilst im upgrading - im looking to upgrade the car nothing more remeber. Appreciate alot of people say leave car as it is etc etc but im sure there are a few things that can be done.

Thanks chaps and chap`esses look forward to hearing from you all.

ph1 172, berlingo
filter and decat make the car breath a little beter, dont bother with manifold as yours is good, remap maks it drive nicer, but dont expect big or any bhp, just smoother revs, money is key on suspension so good shocks and springs over cheap coilovers, and good brakes, make car light if you want to be a little faster

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Morning All.

I am now on my 2nd 172 (mk2?) and would like to 'upgrade' it with some sensible modification, i.e NO dustbin lid exhausts, multi vented bonnets etc etc or any rubbish like that.

Ive read the forums and have found some great help regarding air filters i.e leave the original box and simply replace the filter with a performance model. However I would like to extract, if possible, a few more horses from under the bonnet, whether it be simple mid range torque or good old bhp increase again i see there is mixed views on here.

I am considering the following :-

re-map/chip -

What i would like to know is if there is any benefit of the sports cat and manifold and if replaced would it make the car sound a tad to loud, what filter replacment to use, what sort of bhp/torque benefits could i acheive from remap, how low should i put the car and what size alloys should i go for 15 or 16. Note i dont want the car 'slammed' as it used
daily im just wondering if its worth lowering whilst im upgrading - im looking to upgrade the car nothing more remeber. Appreciate alot of people say leave car as it is etc etc but im sure there are a few things that can be done.

Thanks chaps and chap`esses look forward to hearing from you all.

not worth it at all and a de cat is your best bet imo

you already have a 4 branch manifold

re-map/chip -

get a live map to sort out the power delivery but you will see little if any gains

ITG / PIPERCROSS / GREEN COTTON panel filter in the OE air box is the way to go

coilovers, just springs alone will make your car handle worse

yes, do.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
It's all money dependant.

Ph1 Airbox with ITG Filter and uprated CAF's
Decat and Aftermarket Exhaust
Matched Inlets
Live Mapping would always be better but with basic breathing mods i'd just go with the RSTuner
Eibach Sportline Springs
Pro Race 1.2 Wheels

As said it depends on your budget though... Could replace the Springs with say some KW Coilovers, Wheels with OZ Ultraleggeras etc.

Personally after throwing money at my Clio I'd just do filters, exhaust and springs then look at brakes as you can be quicker by being able to brake later, Brembo HC's with Ferodo DS2500's and Stainless Braided brake Lines.

Clio 172 Mk2 Black
Thanks for the info so far guys,; so simply the way to go is light wheels, upgraded filter in standard box, possible de-cat, remap and lower it. What level would you suggest (height - lower) 5/10mm all round ? How has renault extracted the extra 10bhp between the 172 - 182 ? Im starting to sound lilke a boy race but rest assured im far from it, i would just love to see the little clio a little more smoother and perkier....

Clio 172 Mk2 Black
Sorry but was is a RSTuner and matched inlets ? Showing my poor knowledge on engines hence why im here !!!!:eek:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
The 4-2-1 manifold was one of the main changes that I know of but I'm sure there were a few others little tweaks, Getting the manifold on a 172 is quite expensive and I'm sure most say it's not worth it as you need the manifold £250ish 2nd hand plus cat/decat and a fitting kit.

If you're chasing figures you could always throw some cat cam 428's into the mix then get it mapped.

Megane 225 Cup
Rs tuner is a DIY Re-mapping device (You download the maps from the fastchip.nl website and upload them to your car yourself)

Matched inlets is basicly porting/matching of the inlet manifold to increase flow