ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Non-Start... Help please!!

Cup 172
Morning all… Need help with a problem on my 172 Cup.

After a week of inactivity I went to start it yesterday and no joy. All the lights came on as they should, with the clocks (i.e. fuel gauge) moving to the correct position when the ignition was switched on.

When I turned the key through to start, there was an odd noise (think it’s the throttle bodies after doing a search on here) and a click but no turn from the starter.

Some other things;
The clock had stopped and gone back to 00:00. When I came out about an hour later to try again it had restarted and was showing 01:00. Still the same starting situation though.
When I got out and locked the car with the plipper, the central locking seemed slow to lock and the alarm let off the beep you get if a door isn’t shut right. Tried again and it locked (slowly again).
Windows still work and lights work (Maybe a little duller than normal but couldn’t really tell).

Battery is three years old and the car does tend to get used intermittently (once or twice a week, not every day).

Is this likely to be the battery or is that just a red herring?

Ta!

Phil.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Start simple; Check the battery connections are clean and tight first of all then if you've got a multimeter check the basic battery voltage is good before finally performing a drop test... Note this does not mean take the battery off the vehicle, raise it up from the floor to a great height and let it go to see if it falls ;)

Mick

Cup 172
Start simple; Check the battery connections are clean and tight first of all then if you've got a multimeter check the basic battery voltage is good before finally performing a drop test... Note this does not mean take the battery off the vehicle, raise it up from the floor to a great height and let it go to see if it falls ;)

Mick

Ta. Do the symptoms sound like a battery problem or something else?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It does indeed but it could be a physical battery fault or it could simply be a poor connection.