ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Oil Change

Hi Guys,

Hows going..
Im about to change the oil aswell, I rang renault today and see what oil they use, they said elf 5W 30 not 5W 40 in the handbook..

mind me asking whats the difference?

Dai,

Thats the whole point. I couldnt get the same answer from any 2 garages i called!!!

In the end i did a change rather than a top up. Its safer and you can never hurt and engine with nice new clean oil

Mav

GR,

sorry , but yer m8 is WRONG...

the most engine deposits occur in the first 10-20 hours of the engines life..

at apx 60 mph overall, that equals only 600-1200 miles.

at a more realistic level of 35 mph, that = 350 - 700 miles...

yes, the oil can stand it, yes, the filter is designed to cope.... etc etc

but.......

why risk anything, a filter break down, an oil pump scoring etc... ?? - dont forget, the oil pump has to cope with all the debris, the filter supposedly stops it entering the internal galleries. The oil pump is oft the lease respected part of the unit.. but without it, or without it working perfectly, you can have all sorts of premature failures later in the vehicles life.. most oft out of warranty when the manufacturers want you to spend yer hard earned dosh on a newer model....

Its cheap, its easy, and it gives you a warm, wobbly sorta feeling

and...

you KNOW you want to, cos it makes sense..... lol

Joe....