ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 ON A WILLY

Polo GTi

I dont see what the problem is boys, if being mods is so much of chore, why dont you do something about it. ;)

Note the wink, seems you can get away with anything if you include the clique, sorry wink ;)

Quote: Originally posted by FlamingMonkey on 14 September 2004

I dont see what the problem is boys, if being mods is so much of chore, why dont you do something about it.

Note the wink, seems you can get away with anything if you include the clique, sorry wink
lol, too true... oh yeah

Quote: Originally posted by James on 14 September 2004

Anyway. Getting back ON TOPIC of the Willy being the best car in the whole world..........;)
you forgot the wink, remember, without it you sound like your on the windup.

getting back on topic, i believe rust was the latest issue... wouldnt know about that personally with my clean example being magazine featured :D

williams and trophy

Quote: Originally posted by Vtec Abuser on 14 September 2004

Why dont you guys get a shootout organised, instead of arguing like a bunch of schoolgirls? :D
2nd ed mate......the 172 owners know where the williams owners will be come raceday at york...........but do they ever turn up??.......1 or 2 do.......but the rest of em??????????????

anyone would think theyre too embarrassed to put their cars up against summat fast......like a williams

oh ;)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Ive just watched ad172 post 0-60 in 6.35 in a very standard 172 mk2

Is there a clio williams anywhere with this low a time ,or are you all gonna go quiet like on his thread where there isnt one willy owner making a comment...

I suspect the old"ive got to change before 60mph" excuse will pop up though

The 1 infront...does yours go this fast???

ian

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

i also saw a fiesta zetec run 7.1 on the same day! not that im saying the 172 didnt run that time, but myself and the guys i was with all agreed that most of the times seemed a bit quick considering!

as for williams power, dunno about anyone else but mine ran 6.8 to 60 about a year back on a slight uphill (bruntingthorpe) when the engine just had zorst, and yes that was with 2 gear changes and officially timed!

its not about 0-60 anyway, but as we are talking about straight line speed lets see some 1/4 mile and 0-100 times for 172s? modded or not doesnt matter. and lets not forget the standard 22bhp advantage they have ;)

The Jinx

I think weve had a few shootouts in the NW recently havent we?

The first seemed to turn up some very surprised faces on the 172 owners. Even us valvers were worrying them.;)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

How much more of a straight line can a 0-60 or 1/4 mile be...

and just having a zorst is what this had,well a cat and just the back box

if it can post this to 60mph then surely the 22hp advantage would tell on its way to 100 aswell

If driven correctly you can see how fast they are.

now has anyone done 0-60 in a willy quicker than 6.35??

ian

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

yes but as u say the 2 gear changes dont help, hence the similar 0-60 of williams and 16v. to a ton the williams will batter the 16v!

a true comparison is 0-100+ or a 1/4 mile race if we are talking straight line speeds.

like i said earlier i raced my mates mk1 on sunday loads over a 400 mile trip, nothing in it in 1st, soon as hit 2nd it was over, every time! even at 110 was having to back off! fair dos i have more engine mods, but his isnt standard and arent the mk1s the quickest ;)

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 14 September 2004

if it can post this to 60mph then surely the 22hp advantage would tell on its way to 100 aswell
not necessarily - availablity of torque comes into it. i might be wrong but the willy makes about 85% of its torque from about 2k which i dont think the 172 does. Its similar arguement to willy v valver - fall out of the rev range (and you will to a certain extent when changing gear) and your 172 will not perform as well.

besides its not 22 bhp anyway...

Clio Williams No123

Right, just to add my 2 pennies being the proud owner of Willy No 123 and Cup.

Ive had Cuppington for 18months and the Willy for 3

The two are quite evenly matched in my driving experience with them. The Willy doesnt feel as quick in a 1/4 miles but in my extensive testing the cup was only .5 seconds ahead. The Williams accelerates more smoothly than Cuppington through the gears too, even tho the action of the gearchange and clutch is a lot heavier.

The williams drives better through the corners and backroads than the cup, it feels more seated and much smoother. However the cup feels more willing to be pushed to its limit, aside from the way it has a tendancy to skip on an uneven surface it feels a lot quicker through the bends.

If anyone wants ill try and sort a proper comparison more throughly between the two cars.

Also for anyone that cares, the cup is completely standard, the Willy as a pipercross filter and de-cat fitted, and i think the exhaust is blowing slightly.

Any questions?

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by 2 live on 14 September 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Vtec Abuser on 14 September 2004

Why dont you guys get a shootout organised, instead of arguing like a bunch of schoolgirls?
2nd ed mate......the 172 owners know where the williams owners will be come raceday at york...........but do they ever turn up??.......1 or 2 do.......but the rest of em??????????????

anyone would think theyre too embarrassed to put their cars up against summat fast......like a williams

oh
Well 10th October York Raceway....Ill be there.....and believe 2live and others will be there too so any 172 owners feel free to make an appearance!:D

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

ill be there too!

just checked my tyre pressures for first time in a month, 19psi in the rears, 26 in the fronts :confused:

feels a different car now lol

williams and trophy

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 14 September 2004

Ive just watched ad172 post 0-60 in 6.35 in a very standard 172 mk2

Is there a clio williams anywhere with this low a time ,or are you all gonna go quiet like on his thread where there isnt one willy owner making a comment...

I suspect the old"ive got to change before 60mph" excuse will pop up though

The 1 infront...does yours go this fast???

ian

errrrr yes ,mate......i reckon it does now.........wot was nick reads 0-60 run ???? 6.7 i think..n mine seems to have the edge on his in that area..its not until about 80ish he starts to car=tch me up....

but i reckon lo 6s for def now mine will hit 60 in 2nd ....

Ian 172 - exactly how many 172s have managed this magic 0-60 of 6.35?

Would that be one per chance?

On a day that a lot of people on various Ford forums managed rather stupidly low 0-60 times too?

I love the way the owners of newer machinary continually make snide comments about Williams owners defending thier cars as if they dont care and williams owners are dreaming - when infact the snide comments are proof that they do care - how dare a Williams owner think their "old" car can possibly be a match for something "NEW":eek:

This is the only forum I visit that has these Egotrippers! LOL

Quote: Originally posted by Smokey McPot on 14 September 2004

The williams is better. Simple, the 172 is nice, but not quite good enough. End of.
Well for this topic, Mr McPot, that statement is fair enough, but in the bigger picture there is only one CLIO that surpases all of your meaningless 172s/182s/cups/wlliams/valvers/127s etc....

Ill put my V6 Mk2 on a 1/4 mile, up against any of your stamdard clios anyday, infact bring it on, im waiting.:p

And for all you modified boys and girls, let Mr CB1A do my head conversion and ill let you have a play up the strip too.

Clio V6 Mk2 is the Daddy, dont forget it!!

Now lets bring on the flames about it costing too much, being too heavy etc etc... i dont care, ive had 2 of them and they are the nutts.

Oh, P.S. can we take a rain check on the the 1/4 miling, coz ive just remembered.............

.....my vee is sitting in some autosalvage place in Essex, dead, lol.

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 15 September 2004

ill race a mk2 vee on the strip, no wories hehe
even when its producimg over 300 bhp, dont forget the vees power goes threw the rear wheels, not the front!!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by 007 on 14 September 2004

Ian 172 - exactly how many 172s have managed this magic 0-60 of 6.35?

Would that be one per chance?

On a day that a lot of people on various Ford forums managed rather stupidly low 0-60 times too?

I love the way the owners of newer machinary continually make snide comments about Williams owners defending thier cars as if they dont care and williams owners are dreaming - when infact the snide comments are proof that they do care - how dare a Williams owner think their "old" car can possibly be a match for something "NEW":eek:

This is the only forum I visit that has these Egotrippers! LOL
so how many williams have 007...none i think(0-60)

And i love the way that 3 owners of willys on here who all have mods on their cars pop up to say how they would hammer anything moving,it just creates a biased set of figures,standard vs standard the 172 is a faster car...If i was allowed to increase my car by over 25bhp like some with 180+ in their willys i would be over 200bhp but i would hope all 172 owners wouldnt jump on the band waggon and say "i know a 172 that would beat you<it doesnt matter whats done under the bonnet coz its still a 172 innit"

Thats whats happening here...fairplay for tunning your cars and all that but you cant set the benchmark when non standard and every time this debate pops up there you are telling all how you hammered this and that in a willy but forget to mention the fact that its not standard...

I think ive covered most things..ian

ill agree that comparing std v modified may create a biased set of figures but lets not forget that these modified willys probably cost less to build and modify than the cost of a standard 172...far better value for money IMO. However, thats not the arguement here...what is the arguement is which one is faster, standard for standard. In regard to that, most will accept the 172 is slightly faster in a straight-line but in real life most roads have corners....

I love the way that some 172 owners are unwilling to unaccept how close real life performance is between the their cars and the williams. I mean, us mk1 owners can...and we respect the 172s, so why cant you do that back? :confused:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I fully respect the williams as a car and ill agree that the weight and suspension set up may benefit some of our more lumpy and twisty set of roads and that the performance is not a million miles away from mine as standard anyway..the only full comprehensive reading on the 2 standard cars was evo 34 where the 172 only just pipped it but they all still loved the willy in the mag and was so impressed how a car so old did so well that they gave the day to the williams for character

the aurguments on here half the time are the owners giving it the mine is better than your and mine only cost this and the your loosing 500 quid a day on your car sort of stuff of which we are all guilty of sometimes:oops:

ian