ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 182? Help, I can't decide!

172 Cup
Hello all,

I have a huge dilemma on my hands, i'm currently looking to buy either a 172 or a 182 and i just can't decide.
Pics of both cars are below, which would you go for and why?
I know i can get the 172 down to £4590 (with no tax). It's done 34k miles and i absolutely love the colour!
I'm pretty sure i could get the 182 down to £4900 (no tax). Done 40k miles, although it is a year newer. I've currently got a silver car (and had it for over 4 years) so ideally wanted a change, but for £300 more am i mad to turn this down?
Both drive very similar, if anything i prefer the feel of the clutch pedal on the 172 (feels smoother/lighter) however the 182 does feel like a slightly tighter drive.
Both seem to come with the same options: xenons, climate control, esp, auto wipers etc..

d73e_27.jpg

a00d_3.jpg

HELP!

Cheers,
Rob.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
out of them the 172, the 182 isnt even cupp packed so not worth having over the 172.

PH-1 > both though :D

LY V6 with Recaros
Out of them two I'd probably get the 172 as it's a nicer colour and the 182 doesn't have cup packs.

to be honest i think you can do better for the money!

going off your post though you seem to prefer the 172 and theres not many about in that colour

personally i prefer the more dicreet 172 without the bazooka's sticking out of the rear

172 Cup
Thanks for the replies so far!

TOONEY: I'm strictly looking at cars with under 40k miles and i also don't want to drive miles just to save a couple hundred pounds.

Focus ST
172 Cup or a 182 FF with cup packs

Either of those would do for me, Don't get a 182 if it's not a cup or doesn't have cup packs

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Out of them two I'd probably get the 172 as it's a nicer colour .

+1

If the 182 was any other colour i'd have gone for that . Silvers a boring colour , seems like 70% of cars on the road are silver .

I think that 04 reg 172 belongs/belonged to someone on here.
I'd go for the 172 tbh as it's a better colour than that 182 & the 182 doesn't have cup packs on it.

Clio 172 mk2
to be honest i think you can do better for the money!

going off your post though you seem to prefer the 172 and theres not many about in that colour

personally i prefer the more dicreet 172 without the bazooka's sticking out of the rear

+1

I do prefer the std 172 to the 182 with the wheels and hidden exhaust....great colour as well

I looked at a 172 cup. But then I saw a 182 (FF) and fell in love. For me the mod cons in the 182 are an added bonus, and its a newer car anyway.

My opinion, --> 182FF :)

MINI Cooper S
I'm not familiar with the world of Clio's so my input probably wont help but I would say that the 172 is slightly over priced and the 182 is slightly under priced (if that makes sense). This is purely going on what seems to be available on the market at the moment.

The 172 however is in a more desirable colour although I've got nothing against the silver.

I've not driven either 172 or 182 yet so cant comment of any differences/similarites between them.

Noob question but what is fuel econemy like on these two because from what I've read the 172's seem to be capable of averaging considerably more than the 182's?

Other things to consider would probably be things like insurance/tax/servicing cost differences between the two.

Good luck chap :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Noob question but what is fuel econemy like on these two because from what I've read the 172's seem to be capable of averaging considerably more than the 182's?

Other things to consider would probably be things like insurance/tax/servicing cost differences between the two.

Fuel economy varies . I saw an average of 28mpg on my 172 , see the same on my 182 but i've also seen extraordinary claims of 50mpg :eek: . It's basically the same car , same engine . The extra 10bhp on the 182 is a bit of a marketing ploy , more to do with keeping up with the competition i.e. when Peugeot released their 180 GTI .

insurance/tax/servicing is the same for both cars .

M2 Competition
your thinking of splashing nearly 5k on a 172? like said you can get a lot better value for money

Its a mint 04 plate with low miles. Because you've seen cars advertised at lower prices, dont think you'll get anything near the same value of car.

Theres a lot of dogs out there...

Id go for the 172 of those two mate.

vers le haut doigt milieu
go for the 182, I personally would only buy a 172 if it was black or a silver cup.

vers le haut doigt milieu
mind you tho if I could have a 182 it would wither be petrol blue, liquid yellow or Racing blue. Black 172's look soo much cooler (just imo) as you can put a very cool exhaust on it and if its a silver cup (like Peperami's) then you own a one off. Shame Dan's not that cool tho!:rasp:

Clio 172 mk2
Newer doesn't necessarily make it a better or tider car, go for the best car after having a good viewing & test drive

Clio 172 FF
you can buy mine mate for £4500 just had a service cambelt change and a ktec recessed exhaust fitted im quite close to you if you fancy coming to view the car its only got 39,000 on the clock drop me an email if intrested spedgaz@yahoo.co.uk

009.jpg

016.jpg

034.jpg

Clio 182 + Recaros
you can buy mine mate for £4500 just had a service cambelt change and a ktec recessed exhaust fitted im quite close to you if you fancy coming to view the car its only got 39,000 on the clock drop me an email if intrested spedgaz@yahoo.co.uk

009.jpg

016.jpg

034.jpg

Nice car - looks mint. Definately the 172 over non cup packed 182

172 Cup
your thinking of splashing nearly 5k on a 172? like said you can get a lot better value for money
You really can't if you want one that's done less than 40k miles and that's in the Surrey area.
I do know you can save a few hundred pounds if you want to travel to say newcastle to pick the car up but i haven't got the will power to do that.

I'm not familiar with the world of Clio's so my input probably wont help but I would say that the 172 is slightly over priced and the 182 is slightly under priced (if that makes sense). This is purely going on what seems to be available on the market at the moment.

That helps alot, I also believe the 172 is slightly over priced (from a dealer) and the 182 is under priced.
Servicing (for me) and tax are identical. If i was to buy a 172 i'd be saving about £50 a year on insurance.

Its a mint 04 plate with low miles. Because you've seen cars advertised at lower prices, dont think you'll get anything near the same value of car.

Theres a lot of dogs out there...

Id go for the 172 of those two mate.
Thank you for your comments, couldn't agree more!

Gaz, that's appreciated and i can tell you're close but since looking i've said to myself that i'm not buying another black car unless it really is a complete steal of a price, sorry. Also i don't fancy an 03 plate even though it has done the number of miles i'm looking at. Just personal preference, like the colour, i said i didn't want to go older than an 04 plate.

Thanks to everyone else that's replied, looks like it's going to be the 172 over that particular 182 as it's no longer on autotrader/ebay so i'm guessing it's sold!

182kev

If i had the choice to buy over again i'd go for a 172 tbh,not much difference imo and just as good for a lot less money

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
If I had my decision to make again I would get a 182. Infact if I can shift my Williams and 172 thats what I will be doing albeit a Trophy. 172 is a great car and as time goes on I do like it more its just a little to placid and boring for me esp coming from the Williams.

I also think the 172 is a bit overpriced. My 172 has 36k, FSH 1 former owner and cambelt change but if I sold it I think I would be doing very well to get any more than £4,300 tbh.

If you want a mint 172 with ultra low miles I also suggest you take a look in the for sale section as rorytherenault is selling his and looking for offers and prob be able to pick it up for £4,300 ish and that has 26k or something daft, I think his is a 53 plate but in iceberg not flame red.

320d
Out of them two i'd gofor the 172. Looks in great condition and I love flamers.

If I was you I would go for a FF 182. 182's look pretty crap without cup packs, the silver wheels look crap and without the splitter and spoiler it looks even worse. No offence to anyone with one of course I just personally wouldn't buy one.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Out of them two i'd gofor the 172. Looks in great condition and I love flamers.

If I was you I would go for a FF 182. 182's look pretty crap without cup packs, the silver wheels look crap and without the splitter and spoiler it looks even worse. No offence to anyone with one of course I just personally wouldn't buy one.

Agreed 172 or 182FF with cup pack (it exists Rollo i tell thee)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
182FF means it's cup packs so there is no such thing as a cup packed cup packed 182 ;)

It's A Reno
I'd go for the 172 as it is such a nice colour and I'm not a big 182 fan (sorry guys....wheels n pipes).

Has it had the belt done? It's due in the not too distant future so could lead to a deal.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
I'm selling an 2004 Arctic blue 182 with cup packs...going to be totally standard in pretty good condition, with 43k on the clock and full renault service history. Has a long mot, and tax until end of Jan '09. Also got the 6 cd changer.

Has both cup packs - suspension and splitter/spoiler, although as I swapped wheels at one point it's going to have the silver 182 wheels rather then anthracite ones as I did a good deal for some.

Looking for 5300.

172 Cup
I'm selling an 2004 Arctic blue 182 with cup packs...going to be totally standard in pretty good condition, with 43k on the clock and full renault service history. Has a long mot, and tax until end of Jan '09. Also got the 6 cd changer.

Has both cup packs - suspension and splitter/spoiler, although as I swapped wheels at one point it's going to have the silver 182 wheels rather then anthracite ones as I did a good deal for some.

Looking for 5300.
Thanks for the offer and i'm sure it's a good one but like i say, i don't want to drive hundreds of miles with the possibility of it being a waste of time.

Having another look at the 172 tomorrow with a mechanic and if all is sound i might go ahead with it.

Thanks whoever mentioned about checking the cambelt. I'll have a look at that.