ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 182??

Puma 1.7 16v
Hi all, I'm new here!

Thinking of buying a Clio 172/182 in a few months time.

Which of the two would you all recommend?

I know the 182 is absolutely brilliant but on looks alone I prefer the 172 as the 16' 5-spokes are nicer and theres no exhausts on show.

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
Get what ever you can budget for. The 182 is better than the 172 but both are good cars, if a little fragile build quality wise.

Steve

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
get a 172 then get a pro speed exaust

or get a 182 and buy my 172 wheels off me!!!!

Puma 1.7 16v
I'll be able to afford either. Just been looking through the site, seen some awesome examples of both. Growing on the 182s with Cup (anthracite) wheels. I think if I had a 182 I'd buy the 172 wheels for it in time!

Might be a nice idea to get a 172 and then move onto a 182 Trophy later on.......

At the end of the day I don't think there is really that much between them. You are probably better off going for a 182 with plenty of warranty remaining!

Puma 1.7 16v
Not too worried about warranties etc, but I will want a low-mileage fairly new one. Ideally it'll be a Black 53-ish plate 172 or a 182 in Black or that orangey colour, whatever its called.

Thanks for the replies, the two are basically the same then.

:D

106 GTi
Welcome to CS.

The Cup packed 182's handling is an improvement over the standard full fat 172 set up. The 182 Trophy's are seen as the pinnacle with there Sachs set up.

Like others have said buy the best car you can afford, alot also comes down to if you want the toys or dont mind lacking a few with the Cup models proper or the Trophy, and waht colours you like.

On the road there isn't much between any varients.

Puma 1.7 16v
Cheers mate,

I think I'd want the half-leather, air-con etc. Got air-con in my Puma and wouldn't be without it.

The more I think about it, the more I think it'll be a 182 I buy, with or without Cup bits.

106 GTi
Sounds like a full fat 182 is the car for you, though the Trophy has lovely Recaro's up front ( shame about the rear bench) and Manual Air Con. Well worth getting the cup Suspension upgrade on the normal 182, though most cars do seem to have it anyway.

I went for the full fat 182 for the same reasons.

Same as Rich, 182 + cup packs.

You might drop very very lucky on a 182 + cup packs and recaros (limited option) but they are very rare.

106 GTi
Jay said:
You might drop very very lucky on a 182 + cup packs and recaros (limited option) but they are very rare.

If only they had put nice rear seats in though! :dapprove:

106 GTi
MattJ said:
Sorted - I'll be looking out for black 182 Cup's then :cheers:

Good colour choice ;)

P8210011.jpg

sunset.jpg

Jay ther sure is - still very tempted.

MINI JCW
Me personally I would go for the 182 with both cup packs as i think it gives you the most in terms of performance, looks, toys and handling

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
Id prob go for the 172 as they have taken a massive price hit already.
The 182 still has a big chunk of money to loose on it.
+ the 182 rims are nasty.
If your worring about the 182 cup's better road holding u can upgrate the 172 suspension..

Monaco Blue Mk2
When I'm able to afford one and the insurance, it will be a 182 with cup packs in either Black Gold or Artic Blue with my Turinis refurbed in anthracite. Mmmmm sex wee!

Puma 1.7 16v
Morning all. I've been thinking all the time since starting this thread.

I'm pretty sure I'll go for a 182 and maybe put the 172 rims on it. If I wanted to save a bit of cash for something else, I'll get a mint 172 instead. It is just a case of what position I'll be in at the time.

I think we can all say that 172 and 182 are all fabulous little hot hatches :D

Mini Cooper S sport
^^^amen to that! You'll be pleased whatever you get.

Iain C said:
+ the 182 rims are nasty.

Oooh I don't think so, I love the anthracites! I used to prefer the 172 alloys, but now everything about the 182 has grown on me and I'd never go back.

I'm glad I got racing blue as well, I still LOVE the colour.

No more clio's for me!
MattJ said:
Morning all. I've been thinking all the time since starting this thread.

I'm pretty sure I'll go for a 182 and maybe put the 172 rims on it. If I wanted to save a bit of cash for something else, I'll get a mint 172 instead. It is just a case of what position I'll be in at the time.

I think we can all say that 172 and 182 are all fabulous little hot hatches :D

I'll swap ya 182 rims for my 172 rims ;)

Good luck finding a nice1.

106 GTi
I hated the 182 rims when I ordered the car and was going to change them straight away, they have really grown on me over the year I have owned it.

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
Don't see why anyone would want a 172 over a 182 :/ unless off course they couldn't afford a 182

Skoda Octavia TDi vRS
Racing Blue said:
I'm glad I got racing blue as well, I still LOVE the colour.

Me too.

I gave it a going over with Swissol yesterday and it looks amazing....especially with the stripes :D:D

Steve

Puma 1.7 16v
Saw a black 182 today, it happened to be for sale in someones driveway. It looked great, definitely going for Black.

Saw one on AutoTrader with the stripes, cool or not? :S

Thought only Racing Blues had stripes.

Mk1 V6 Import
197....thats the new one that everyone says they hate but will change to in 6 months to a year and claim how brilliant it is and so much better in performance and looks than the 172s/182s they were banging on about now!

Happens every time Renault release the new kid on the block I guess.....everybody just have to have the latest.

197 sounds more powerful than 172/182 doesn't it!