ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 182?

RenaultSport 172
Hi guys My friend is looking to buy a what I think is a 172. all points lead to it being a 172 but when the reg is typed into an insurance quote it comes up as 182?

And the guy selling it is convinced its a 182, he also made up some rubbish that some 182s came with a single exhaust? it also has cruise control and traction control.

anyway pics

6f377766.jpg

ca95e78e.jpg

Reg is NK04 HYB

any help would be much appreciated.

04 could be either but you'd imagine it's a 182. But then the exhaust would make me think it was a 172.

So yeah, I have no idea. Ha.

RenaultSport 172
Thats what I think its definately a 172 but why does it come up as a 182? it was originally silver which doesn't help.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Defo a 172 seen loads of 04 plate ones knocking about.

The fact he told you that some 182s came with single exhaust shows he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

RenaultSport 172
If there is a spare wheel well then it is a 172.

I'm betting that it is a conversion.

Do you mean engine conversion? I've asked him to check the wheel well.

Defo a 172 seen loads of 04 plate ones knocking about.

The fact he told you that some 182s came with single exhaust shows he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about.

I called bullshit on that straight away, tried saying that they were special edition or something lol.

I had that as well, 04 plate 172 coming up on insurance as a 182. Person on the line was adamant I was wrong and they were correct lol.

Certainly looks like a 172 in the picture that.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
thats a 172 i bet, be a late 04 plate one with cruise and traction control, check the manifold i bet its got a 4-1. has 172 wheels and exhaust.

why is it white though!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
im sure there was late 172's (on 04 plate) but they didnt do them in white so its been sprayed.

im guessing the same as will. has it got the 4-2-1 manifold?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
its a 172 -

Its a late 172,- Its got no twin Exhaust, Its got 172 wheels, standard spoiler-

so just to confirm...
S

Megane 225 F1
No it could be a 1.2 that has had the conversion and the person declared it as a 182....maybe?

RenaultSport 172
Its a respray, From what I can gather the current owner has bought it from his boss who owned it from new.

Also the current owner has paid for the respray, apprently a sheet of ice came off the roof of a bus and damaged the bonnet and front bumper, so he had it sprayed.

2010 Jetta TDi 140
Mines an 04 plate 172 registered on 05/03/2004. On some insurance sites it comes up as a 172 and on other it's a 182. Where do they get the information from? My log book doesn't state.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
To be honest if its a 2 owner car and the paint is of a hight standard then I see no issues! I'd buy it and stick some turinis on it and give it a tidy up.

is it cheap?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Surely it's just a late registration 172, it's presumably coming up as a 182 on the databases as it falls into the 04 plate banding. Isn't it usually the parallel imports that you usually see as 04 reg on a 172-does this have the little red light next to the gearstick & window etchings? Imagine if you look for some of the date stampings on the plastics/engine etc they'll be 02/03.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Same spoiler as my 1.2? and its been sprayed, why not just get a new bonnet if it was damaged?

reckon hes talking bull and i would stay away.

RenaultSport 172
To be honest if its a 2 owner car and the paint is of a hight standard then I see no issues! I'd buy it and stick some turinis on it and give it a tidy up.

is it cheap?

Yes very cheap, he bought it anyway. It's a lovely car very clean.

Passat
It's a 172 with a nice respray. I like it.

The only thing that would put me off buying is the owner claiming it's something it's not. I don't think I could buy a car off someone who is blatantly prepared to lie to my face.

It's not a conversion though...I reckon

RenaultSport 172
I think it's a genuine 172. IMO the only reason he thinks it's a 182 is because he knows no better? A insurance search brings it up as a 182 and a parts search in the local Renault dealer brings it up as a 182.

When you don't know better, how can you not think it's a 182?

Vectra
my guess is that originally it was a 172 but the owner has done a conversion etc.... and declared it as a 182

if it was me ad re-consider buying!

Ph1
Its a respray, From what I can gather the current owner has bought it from his boss who owned it from new.

Also the current owner has paid for the respray, apprently a sheet of ice came off the roof of a bus and damaged the bonnet and front bumper, so he had it sprayed.

yeah yeah :lolup:

This car couldnt sound any more dodgy if it tried. As long as your mates happy though thats the main thing

White clique
thing with the bus story is that if a sheet of ice fell off and hit my car, i'd be pulling that bus over and getting it sorted through insurance - and an insurance company isnt going to pay for a full respray due to a damaged bonnet! So if this bus story is true, you have to wonder why the owner didnt stop the bus and go through insurance, rather than opt to pay himself.