ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 ph1

Renault Clio 172 ph1
Hi from Birmingham
Owner of a 172 ph1 not been driven for 6 years think it's about time to do something with it. Not sure weather to keep standard or use for track day type of thing.

PH2 172
Hi from Birmingham
Owner of a 172 ph1 not been driven for 6 years think it's about time to do something with it. Not sure weather to keep standard or use for track day type of thing.

Seriously, keep it standard, there are not many left. and there are plenty of tracked cars for sale.

What`s the story, any pics, mileage?

Either way, unless it was prepared for storage, it`s going to be a bit of a project.

Renault Clio 172 ph1
The Clio wasn't suitable for work so got another car, then just parked it up in the garage and sorned it. Think it needs a new alternator because the battery isn't holding charge. Other than that everything works.

Attachments

• 20180408_140240.jpg
    20180408_140240.jpg
    930.4 KB · Views: 88
  PH2 172
The Clio wasn't suitable for work so got another car, then just parked it up in the garage and sorned it. Think it needs a new alternator because the battery isn't holding charge. Other than that everything works.

Very nice if that`s a current photo.
What`s the mileage?
I wouldn`t expect a six year old battery + to hold charge.
Does it still loose charge if you disconnect it?

Renault Clio 172 ph1
It will cut out after a minute of taking the jump leads off. Mileage is 95000 it was my daily driver before taking it of the road.

PH2 172
That's a photo from a few days ago. I've put a new battery in still goes flat.

New as in new, not another?
I would expect a fully charged battery to run on tickover for at least 30 minutes with no ancillaries switched on.
Check the alternator terminals before buying an alternator.
If the diode pack was blown, normally the battery light on the dash glows dimly, with the ignition turned off.

Renault Clio 172 ph1
I would expect a fully charged battery to run on tickover for at least 30 minutes with no ancillaries switched on.
If the diode pack was blown, normally the battery light on the dash glows dimly, with the ignition turned off.

Renault Clio 172 ph1
If the diode pack was blown, normally the battery light on the dash glows dimly, with the ignition turned off.[/QUOTE
Ok will check those not sure how to check battery terminals.

PH2 172
How do you check diode pack and battery terminals?

I have not mentioned the battery terminals.
I`m going to assume the connections are good, as the car starts.

If the diode pack was blown, normally the battery light on the dash glows dimly, with the ignition turned off, though you can check for a ground to earth with a multi meter.

Make sure you have 12v with the ignition on at the exciter wire (yellow arrow), and large red charge wire (red arrow) can corrode through.

As I said, I would expect a fully charged battery to run the car for at least 30 minutes, even if it was not being charged.

From what you have said, you are starting the car with jump leads, so the battery cannot be fully charged, what voltage is it holding?

ALTERNATOR  CONNECTIONS.jpg

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Good to see a standard ph1 such a awesome looking car! I’d keep it standard and enjoy it! Like others have said if it’s been sat still for 6 years get the belts at the top of the list of things to do!
Hopefully get to see the car at some of the Midlands monthly meets!