ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Ph2 Project clean up - Silver

R27, Deep Black
Back in a Renault again.. A little history (if this bores you scroll down for the car ;)). My first car back in 2006 was a black Clio mk2 Campus Sport 1.2 16v and loved that car, I then bought a Clio 197 R27 ex demo that I then kept for 3 years and was a very clean car. Photos below..I've been dying to get back into a Renault since I sold the R27 in 2012.

190750_10150112106426898_4793644_n.jpg
1798717_10151882111486898_584150912_n.jpg

I had a VW Golf Mk7.5 Gti Performance in its final run from the factory so loaded with extras for free before the mk8 was released and loved that car but I had only done 7.3k miles in 2.5 years, got offered the same amount I paid for it, so I walked away happy having a work van I can use daily. So the hunt was on for a toy..

Recently just purchased a nice 172 ph2 in silver. The target was under 80k miles, good condition, non modified and looking for signs of a collector such as little bits of history and things from when the car was new. I had no timescale to wait and price wasn't too much of an issue. Colour wasn't an issue and either was it being a 172 ph2 or 182.

After a month of searching, up came a 172 in Silver, completely standard including exhaust with full service history, belts etc been carried out, two keys, all the leaflets etc from new and in really clean condition for it's age.

It's done around 5k miles in the past 6 years and not failed any MOTs in the past 5 if I remember.
A 2 and a half hour drive later it was mines.

Notes on the car:
  • Runs smoothly and starts well as new battery replaced this year.
  • Alloys immaculate but some cracks in the paint from age.
  • Exhaust mount needs replacing (already got a new one)
  • Back bumper needs a respray due to previous spray job being sloppy.
  • No other paintwork been carried out after checking with depth guage.
  • New rear number plate light wanted (due to age, it still works).
Jobs to do:
  • Replace rear number plate light with non yellowed fresh one.
  • Change exhaust mount.
  • Source a new OEM sounding exhaut (open to suggestions).
  • Service it (for peace of mind).
  • Full detail including machine polish, ceramic coating, ceramic wheel coating and interior protection.
  • Full steam and wet vac, it's clean but need to be detailer clean (it's my side business)
  • Find out why I have a buzzing/humming from beside the interior light (suggestions??) 🤨
  • De sticky everything if possible...?
I'll update as much as possible, but eventually this will be a garage queen.

d70e95a2-6dcc-43e0-bc88-1e24a6c6a733.jpg
IMG_3294.JPEG
IMG_3305.JPEG
IMG_3306.JPEG
IMG_3307.JPEG
IMG_3511.JPEG

R27, Deep Black
That's a week i've had the car and it's great to be back in a old mk2 Clio, it's fun but damn there's a few things I want to get sorted ASAP.

First up was the discoloured rear number plate light. I now remember why I don't use my local Renault dealership when I had my previous Clios.. Judgemental d*cks.

Before: Horrible yellow!

IMG_3735.jpg

Before: With lights on

IMG_3738.jpg

After:

IMG_3740.jpg

After: With lights on. FAR Better.

IMG_3739.jpg

Comparison between the two!

IMG_3741.jpg

Horrible clunking coming from the exhaust mount, new bought bought from Dingbros and ready to be installed once i'm home from a trip away with work next week!

IMG_3318.jpg

One i'm back from a work trip away I have a few plans..

Install my dashcam (got it free from my granda when he got one with his new car).
Check out the fan for the climate control beside the interior light to clean it out.
Replace exhaust mount and check the rest of the mounts.
Give the car a service, it has only done 5k since last service but that was a few years ago according to the service book and previous owner, so it's due a oil and filter change!

Reactions: Gus
Making some good progress. Unfortunately the new exhaust mount you have purchased won’t last five mins before it collapses and the exhaust is rattling again. You either need to DIY upgrade the one you have just bought or buy an upgraded one from the likes of BTT Motorsport.

3825496F-6197-4F3A-9C7A-16554B90C0C0.jpeg

R27, Deep Black
Making some good progress. Unfortunately the new exhaust mount you have purchased won’t last five mins before it collapses and the exhaust is rattling again. You either need to DIY upgrade the one you have just bought or buy an upgraded one from the likes of BTT Motorsport.
Works a bit hectic so progress is slower than planned but it's a long term project.
Yeah I've read that and seen that solution on the forum. I just bought the standard one as it was a tenner and will do me until around March I hope when i'll have to replace the exhaust as it's long due a replacement.

Now to find a OEM looking and sounding exhaust..

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
I think the buzzing inside near the mirror is something to do with the auto climate control sensor I think. I’ve had it before and changed something inside which sorted it but I’m sure someone else will confirm.

R27, Deep Black
I think the buzzing inside near the mirror is something to do with the auto climate control sensor I think. I’ve had it before and changed something inside which sorted it but I’m sure someone else will confirm.
You sir are corrrect, I done some digging on the forums afterwords and found this conclusion. Car has been garaged for past 6/7 weeks so i'll get a look at it before it's due out next week as I will be using it as a daily for the next few months.

R27, Deep Black
A small update..

I got some new goods today to try on the Clio over the next week or so..

IMG_6077.jpg

The car had it's first proper detailers wash before going into the garage for it's 2 stage correction and ceramic coating

IMG_5693.jpg

I knew I wanted to get the alloys refurbished but after seeing someone having a go at it, this confirms that I will be getting them done probably April/May time.. So that puts off ceramic coating them in the meantime.

2B6C7375-13EC-4E0B-B659-DB830B2D19E4.jpg
IMG_5687.jpg

Before the start of the correction, I decided to degrease and clean the engine bay.. Any recommendations for cleaning up the manifold? That's the only part that's now letting it down.

IMG_5711.jpg

IMG_5727.jpg

Next up was to remove the side repeaters and get all the grime as they looked horrible, but unfortunately the clear cover has came away from the backing.. What's the recommendations on getting it back together? Just glue or replace? My local Renault stealership want's £32.51 each and I need two..

IMG_6065.jpg

IMG_6068.jpg

Finally, the car after 2 stage correction, I will be touching up some paint chips tomorrow then layering the first coat of Gyeon Syncro onto the paint.

IMG_6075.jpg

IMG_6074.jpg

What's going to be done over the next 4-5 months is cleaning the interior, look for rust in the inside and treat it if possible, alloy wheel refurb, New exhaust.

So my main two questions -

What rear boot gas struts are you all recommending?
Best way to fix the side repeaters? Glue or new? If new, what are you all recommending?

Chocice

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, RSI, 200
Clear side repeaters are available on eBay for a handful of pounds as superglue will leave a fog, I would consider putting orange ones on for the retro look if that’s what it had originally, they are harder to find but as your keeping it standard it might be worth working out if they have been swapped at some point as Mine is on an 03 and had orange indicators maybe they changed on the 53 plate.