ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Ph2 Squeeky Clutch Pedal

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
If i press my clutch pedal slowly down it creaks and squeaks like a b**ch, doesnt matter if its warm or cold its just when its pressed down slowly. However under normal operation its fine. The clutch itself works 100% ok and bites like it should.

Might need to turn your speakers up for this, my garage was dark so not alot is visable. I had the phone outside the car and listen how loud it is!!

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/...1 CCY/?action=view&current=clutch-squeeky.flv
th_clutch-squeeky.gif

A garage has suggested trying a replacement cable as a first port of call, anyone else had this problem or have any ideas?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Mine squeeks and will be replaced in the next day or two. Should only be a few quid to get it fitted, the book time is 30 mins to fit it I think. The new part costs about £15. To replace it yourself you need to find exactly how it runs from the engine bay to the pedal inside the car. I think it runs behind the carpety stuff at the back of the engine bay. Unclip it and you'll soon see. Fitting to the pedal should be ok as long as you look closely at how the old one was connected. Did one on a RSi and on the second attempt it took 45 mins to replace.

Rob669

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I still have this problem but it doesnt sound half as bad as that video in the first post! I had a look at the cable and from end to end it moves through fine it seems to be the 'plate' that the cable is attached to that makes the creaking sound as such, any ideas? Badly fitted clutch?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
hey there, I have the same problem for about 2 years, I will replace my clutch with the k-tec gr.N unit and will see what's inside there.
One thing is for sure: the cable is ok, the sound comes from inside the box, some guy said the teeth on the pressure plate have their tips worn out, thus creating this noise and giving a firmer pedal feel. Not sure exactly what happens down there but I'll keep you posted when I'll sort it out

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
release bearing rubbing on the pressure plate, causing a groove to appear as in the above post above

Mine has been like it for 2 years, my release bearing is going/gone as I can hear that when I have the clutch pressed but had the same in old cars and it was never an issue. So is this main problem likely to cause the clutch to go sooner? Mine doesnt slip at all, its really solid infact but its just creaky and hard under foot!

PH1 172 Sport
I've found that the creaking on mine is caused by the clutch arm pivot. It's plastic and seems to dry out after time. Once its greased the creaking goes but then returns after a few days when it drys out again!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
^^ yeah someone told me this could be my problem but right after greasing the thing the noise was still there. try some lithium based grease, I've heard it goes off harder than normal grease

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I've found that the creaking on mine is caused by the clutch arm pivot. It's plastic and seems to dry out after time. Once its greased the creaking goes but then returns after a few days when it drys out again!

I know little about gearbox/clutches, is this the arm that the cable attaches to? If so just lob aload of grease at its pivot point?

Edit: infact it cant be, that isnt plastic lol :) Where is this part to grease up? easy to get to?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Mine is nothing to do with the cable at all though, I can move the part of the clutch the cable attaches to, which is the part that makes the noise, 100% not the cable in my case.

Bumder With A Buffer
Mine wasnt the cable..it was coming from somewhere in the engine bay, but as I said it has randomly shut up now :S

PH1 172 Sport
The clutch arm? If you take the rubber protector off of the bottom of the arm then look inside the hole left then you will see a white pivot. However you can't just stick a load of grease in there as you will get it all over the clutch plate so you have to very carefull get some on the pivot. However in my case it fixes the problem for a few days and then it comes back again. Presumably when the grease thins out.

Focus RS mk1
some one on here had a clutch pressure plate springs snap from the release bearing rubbing on it, dnt quote me but think it may have been markcup??? yeh as above it could also be the pivot arm, what grease do renault use from new, anyone know?