ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Ph2 wont start immobiliser?

6/468 17poo
Cars been sitting a week, drove to the gym on sat (5min drive) and back then went to start it today and nothing.

Doors unlock, put the key in the ignition turn the key and the immobiliser light flashes fast on the display and nothing no chug just nothing.

can people help, where should I start? relays?

6/468 17poo
odd, it just started ran it round the block came back locked it and the alarm just went beeeeeeeeeeeeeeb until i unlocked it again, no ideas! havent tried to restart it as its late

6/468 17poo
i dont have a tester but it was purchased about 8 months ago? its a 4 year warranty one from Halfords so should be fine, might be worth taking it down there tomorrow on my lunch

6/468 17poo
The spare key is at my parents house, I did replace the battery in the key I've been using but doesn't seemed to have made a difference, ill try the spare key tomorrow

clio 172 phs 1
The battery in the key has nothing to do with the immobiliser,the battery only operated the central locking.

There is a chip inside the key fob which can sometimes go faulty,hence me telling you to try the spare key.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As above, spare key first then, if it still plays up you'll need to check the induction loop (rare that these actually die) then confirm the ring has power, earth and a coms line to the UCH.

If all is good with the above and its still playing up then a new UCH needed you will.

Mick

clio 172 phs 1
As above, spare key first then, if it still plays up you'll need to check the induction loop (rare that these actually die) then confirm the ring has power, earth and a coms line to the UCH.

If all is good with the above and its still playing up then a new UCH needed you will.

Mick

Nice to see another member in the know!!!!!! ;)

6/468 17poo
I still havent managed to get hold of my spare key, but the car now starts first time, its weird its as if the problem has some how corrected itself?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Self fixing French cars... They'd never catch on ;-)

I bet its a key fault which if true will return.

Astra (H) VXR
Happened to mine the other week... Tried to start it about 30 times and it would almost fire then just die... Immobiliser light was on solid..

I read on the Internet, put the key in and turn it to position 2 leave it for a few minutes.. Then don't fire it just remove it.

Then place key back in and fire..

Now this worked for me, but I dunno if it was just a happy coincidence as I don't know what that would actually do.

I had the battery off mine for about 10 mins prior to it not starting so dunno if it was some way of reprogramming the key?

Ps
The long bleep when you lock or open the car, that happens on mine, sometimes when you lock it and the door isn't shut properly. I don't know why it does it but was guessing it was just it arming.

PH2 172 & 182
i had this exact problem tonight. worked this afternoon, then wouldnt have it at all later. i stuck the key in, held the lock button and turned the key. the car beeped, and the key worked :)

6/468 17poo
Got in the car last night and the immobiliser has cut in again........think its something to do with this freezing weather its been spot on for a month, both keys doing the same too, so annoying!

6/468 17poo
Re: 172 Ph2 wont start immobiliser? HELP!!

Ok I am now starting to go mad, car will not start, tried spare key and all of the suggestions such as the lock button trick but nothing.

Turn the key 3 clicks and zero happens the red dot light flashes fast on the dash and the battery light and 'stop' light stays on?

Battery seems to be fine, would the next step be remove all of the fuses & check? As I cannot get it to a garage

172cup
Mine does this only when I've set the alarm off or if its raining I'm sure damp is getting in my fuse box as I play with the relays and it normally start jut by clean them up and wd40 on mine it's normal the small black relays

6/468 17poo
Ok mate ill have a look at the relays, I checked all the fuses last night and they seem to be fine, this is driving me mad now!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You could also try slaughtering a lamb, rubbing its blood all over your naked torso whilst running around the car with the key in your hand chanting " start ya fucka, start"

Honest advise - proper diagnostics first to see what the actual problem is and go from there.

Renault clio 1.2
Im having the exact same problem. Turn the key and all i get is a click from what i think is the UCH under the passenger footwel? Normally it will play up for a while then start. But ive been trying for about 2 hours.-_-

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
check the earth straps on the block.

i had this, drove me bonkers, renualt raped me £200 to tow it to them and diagnose for the sake of a £15 foot long strip of 2awg cable!

it went on me on the move aswell, just cut like a total electrics failure, but with the ignition off everything worked like normal, lights, immob, even clicked if you tried to start it.

Last edited:
  6/468 17poo
check the earth straps on the block.

i had this, drove me bonkers, renualt raped me £200 to tow it to them and diagnose for the sake of a £15 foot long strip of 2awg cable!

it went on me on the move aswell, just cut like a total electrics failure, but with the ignition off everything worked like normal, lights, immob, even clicked if you tried to start it.

Was the immobiliser flashing then? Oh and where are all the earth straps?

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Yea, everything was as normal, even to the point i tried re-syncing keys and started going down the new uch route!

Not entirely sure where they are off hand, but i'm sure there should be 2, i'd totally lost 1! I'll see if i can find my original thread with the answers, 30 secs, its 2 years old or so!

6/468 17poo
So when you turned the key the immobiliser light on the dash flashed rapidly? Jeeez I so hope it's a knackard wire!

6/468 17poo
Well.....it started first thing saturday morning to my surprise so gave it a run came back and tried again and nothing, been out there all day today and all i get is a flashing light all out of ideas now! spoke to a local auto electrics who should be able to get it running without going to Renault so ill try to get it to them this week

The customer service i received from the Renault staff was appalling just walked out, so useless!

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Sounds odd, if its any use, the earth strap that failed on mine can be got to through the passengers front arch behind the flap in the arch liner, found it this morning after dropping my subframe

6/468 17poo
Sounds odd, if its any use, the earth strap that failed on mine can be got to through the passengers front arch behind the flap in the arch liner, found it this morning after dropping my subframe

Mate great shout, the cable looks secure from what I can see!

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
Lol, well atleast we've eliminated that as a problem!
other than that, i'm out of ideas!

6/468 17poo
Thanks for your help mate, I think the problem is more electrical based and that the immobiliser is not recognising the key

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
No worries, i'll be keeping an eye on this to see what solves it!
(only coz mine hasnt done this.....yet)