ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Phase 1 driveshaft- which one to replace?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Appreciate there are stacks threads on the driveshaft issue

After going over some sort of hole/bump on a country road, which was covered by leaves, I now have the odd clicky/clunky sound on accel/decal occasionally, and a good old shaky car over 40mph

I am guessing its a driveshaft unless anyone else suggests otherwise (Checked and swapped wheels)

So how I checkout whether its the Offside or nearside? how do I know which one to replace- or guess- or do both?

Anything I need to know bout the driveshafts? or how to replace

Thanks

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Took it to kwik fit for a free drive in inspection

Drivers side knackered. not sure if to have a go myself with axle stands et al, or just get them to do it
(Only had it done professionally 3 year ago, 20k miles - that sound right?)

Inner ARB bushes knackered too

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Drivers side shaft is easy to do on axle stands.

What make is the one on there now? Shouldn’t be failing so soon really.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Drivers side shaft is easy to do on axle stands.

What make is the one on there now? Shouldn’t be failing so soon really.

Got the original receipt and it quotes SHAR209AR
Gonna go have a chat with them tomorrow, see what they say...……..

Bet its "Been on the car 3 years, done 20kmiles and you use it on the track- you takes yer chances mate"
But yet the one the other side been fine, never touched it in 3 years?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Well they don’t need to know it’s used on track, but regardless I imagine they’ll say it’s out of warranty.

K-Tec sell the genuine shafts still,although I’m not sure if they do a phase 1 shaft.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Well they don’t need to know it’s used on track, but regardless I imagine they’ll say it’s out of warranty.

K-Tec sell the genuine shafts still,although I’m not sure if they do a phase 1 shaft.

Wont tell them I use n track, but with a half cage, and mostly stripped out interior I reckon they may be suspicious

Still, will go see them anyway- I havent had any problems with it till now, so it mustav fitted correctly

Fancy doing it meself, but worried that the part I get wont fit