ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 power mods

172 Flamer
Hello,

just wondering if anyone knows whether a custom build 4-2-1 s/s exhaust manifold will give me any noticable torque or BHP gains on my 172? Or whether the standard one is as good as it gets? I have a Viper induction kit, sports cat & full s/s exhaust system at mo but am after some extra power.

Been advised that it is better to get ECU chip after all other power mods that I am going to make otherwise it will need to get re-mapped each time which will be costly.

Also, BB performance tuning told me that cam / pulley upgrade & cylinder port polish does not really make much difference to performance on the 172 so is not worth me doing?

Any idea's / suggestions / proven mods for extra power up to £1500 (?) will be welcome please. I can't afford throttle bodies or turbo conversion at mo (unfortunately!).

Thanks in advance

Barry

The 182 has this manifold configuration and is the main reason for the 10bhp power gain over the 172 so it is worth it.

You may as well get a 182 one rather then a custom it will be much cheaper. I dont think it is easy to fit with engine in situ (someone else will confirm this?).

j3ned (renault breakers) has may have one for sale.

If you get this fitted get a remap to take advantage of the mods.

By the way its not all about power Barry check out the LEDA suspension group buy. You could get yourself a very nice set of coilovers at 30% off.
LEDA suspension about £850 and a remap (SMT6) for £500 and keep the change!

193 mk2
yes is the answer a 4-2-1 is much better than our crappy 4-1,but i don't think anyone has produced 1 yet for the 172. you can put the 182 exhaust manifold in but its costley and time consuming. i think bbpt are developing 1 for the 172 that fits sraight in but as far as im aware its not yet finished. for now i would think about getting some work done on the inlet manifold talk to benr and either an smt6 (gdi) or a re-mapped ecu (bbpt)

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
..they are about £350ish unless (j3ined/breakers can do you one for £200) its a 5-6hr ish job so not cheap and you may want to think about getting other stuff done at the same time cos its engine out and will save you labour costs. as above give Andy or Ben a ring for some other advice.

cams, manifold, headwork and remap.........if 200+bhp isnt a noticable diff i dont know what is? lol

At this sort of performance level, for the work involved its not great value, especially having a good 4-2-1 manifold produced in small quantities will be expensive.

However i do have a 2 peice 4-2-1 affair design which will mean you dont have to remove the engine to fit it. But you'll still have to if you have a 182 to start with.....oh well.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
not on its own, although it might... tbh we have never "just" fitted one.... always with other mods...