ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 project

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Well Here we go....

Been a member on here since i owned my coilovered megane coupe (iirc 2 years ago) and always wanted a 172, at the time tho (17) insurance was always going to be an issue

So a few years down the line with a few other french fancie's in between (pics on request) I've arrived at a silver ph-quick 172 on a Y plate, I originally wanted a black one but waited 2 weeks and couldnt find one so gave in....yellow would've been nice but who cares, its the driving experience I want not a colour :)

The car itself has 85k with 2 previous owner (the last being a doctor for the last 4 years) so it has mechanically been looked after well.

It also has FSH and the cambelt done at renault :D

Heres some pics of when I first bought it and got it home (nice and dirty) also missing rear centre cap which guy gave me

Picture246.jpg

Picture244.jpg

Picture245.jpg

Picture242.jpg

Picture243.jpg

After a quick clean and tyres and trim dressed heres how it turned out

Picture248.jpg

Picture249.jpg

Picture251.jpg

Picture252.jpg

Picture253-1.jpg

So I bought a few cleaning products as well as Im currently on doing a full PC machine polish on it

Picture254-1.jpg

Mainly using 3m polishes/compounds with 3m pads and results seem to be good for a silver car

Ive got quite a few marks out of it so far so im quite pleased :)

Quickly put some APC on my drivers mat to bring it back to a nice grey colour instead of brown

Picture268.jpg

And ive started to clean the arches with APC and degreaser

Picture259.jpg

Ive had the billberry wheel cleaner on the wheels (took them off the car and did them inside and out) and they've came up spot on, there will be more pics to follow during the week once ive stopped machine polishing :)

hope you think its a good base to start from as I havent decided whether its going to be a track weapon or a euro ****.....or maybe a bit of both :)

Last edited:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Re: 172 with an unknown direction

not sure, only thing im now certain of is Gaz coilovers and a full AAS exhaust system.....wheels are still to be decided

Vectra SRi

looks nice mate, seen a few of your other on coupe club, if this turns out like your other cars it'll be mint!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

hey thanks mate hopefully it will all go as planned, got a lot of bodywork to tidy up but most of that is getting sorted during the machine polishing

Will have some better pics up of it when my mate gets a new lense for his SLR

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

Well as stated above ive been machine polishing the clio with a PC and its came up quite well

Hope you like, hopefully the improvements will be coming in soon :)

Picture271-1.jpg

Picture272.jpg

Picture273-1.jpg

Picture274.jpg

Picture276.jpg

Picture277-1.jpg

Picture278-1.jpg

Picture275-1.jpg

thanks for looking

P.s Pics off fone...I really need a decent camera :(

E92 M3

get some ph2 rear lights init looks much beter

i have some for sale if ya want them

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

Ive already got some thats the next update when I get them fitted

Id get them fitted asap mate. I got a really clean pair for my car and it changed the way I look at it. From banger to beaut imo

There is a guide in the guides section.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

done a few more things to the clio over the last week

Ive fitted:

Brand new Backbox (old one fell off after 1 days ownership)
New Window Regulator/motor (broke within the 1st day) :(
PH2 rear lights with silvervision bulbs
Silvervision front indicator bulbs
Clear Side Repeaters
Lower seat conversion, consisting of removing bungs to get a slightly lower seating position

Applied a full coat of zymol Carbon wax to seal in all of that hard work I spent on Machine polishing it (approx 15 hours went into it)

I Will get a few pics off my phone when I can but I really need a camera

rps13

Well done mate, you've got yourself a very rewarding car!

Take time with all of your modifications, don't rush into things and spend as higher percentage as you can on petrol rather than air filters and exhausts, be happy with it as it's such a good drivers car!

The Dark Knight

ClioSport Club Member

Looks spot-on, bit annoying about the couple small problems you've had but don't let it get to you.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

Well done mate, you've got yourself a very rewarding car!

Take time with all of your modifications, don't rush into things and spend as higher percentage as you can on petrol rather than air filters and exhausts, be happy with it as it's such a good drivers car!

Thats the plan, Im just going to drive it and see what improvements I want to make

I have a good idea of the things I want in my head but I still want it to remain a good drivers car

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

Just a few pics of the lights, bulbs and repeaters :)

Also some new mods as well, and some cheeky pics with my bro's rs

Picture303.jpg

Picture304.jpg

Picture311.jpg

Picture312.jpg

Ph2 handbrake button

Picture307.jpg

Ph2 Side Strips

Picture314.jpg

Picture315.gif

Nice and dirty so cleaned with APC and fitted new strips

Picture317.jpg

Picture318.jpg

And ive now got a 182 manifold to go on when I get chance :)

Picture316.jpg

172 Cup

Yet again Chris playing yourself a blinder with that little number.

When am I getting introduced to her? :p

Didn't your kid have a Cupra?
Or am I making it up?

PH1 172

Good luck with the project

not sure, only thing im now certain of is Gaz coilovers and a full AAS exhaust system.....wheels are still to be decided

If you decide to sell and the wheels are all true then give me a shout please as I may have them off you :)

TTRS & V50

Nice progress,.get a decent camera too,lol

and as no one has requested. pictures of said french beauties..

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

Yet again Chris playing yourself a blinder with that little number.

When am I getting introduced to her? :p

Didn't your kid have a Cupra?
Or am I making it up?
hi mate, yes he had the 340 bhp cupra R ibiza but wasnt practical for an every day car....too many repair bills lol

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

Nice progress,.get a decent camera too,lol

and as no one has requested. pictures of said french beauties..
tell me about it, im sure the settings on my phone camera are all to pot, will have a play around with it and see if I can get them any better

As for the french beauties....here we go :)

all done by myself I may add

The car before the clio

Picture221-1.jpg

Picture223-1.jpg

Picture229-1.jpg

did quite a lot of stuff to that

Photo-0075.jpg

Picture485.jpg

S7300117.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

100_0771.jpg

100_0763.jpg

100_0726.jpg

too much money spent on that little lot :)

Clio RS

where did you get the phase2 strip?

from the dealer?
could you tell me the price?
I'm thinking of getting some 2

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

didnt get them from dealer mate

payed about 50 quid for them

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

been quite a while since I last updated this (sorry for the pic quality, phone isnt too gd)

Before FCS I wanted to tint my fogs yellow, so the day before FCS I eventually got the stuff to do it.

Picture328-1.jpg

Then I found a guy on here wanting to swap his turini's for some other wheels so he could get some money back off them before he sold his car

So i agreed on a deal and a few days later he came up and left me with these

Picture363.jpg

Picture362.jpg

Picture372.jpg

After fitting them to the car I decided I really didnt like the silver on silver look anymore with the different style wheel so I set about refurbing them myself in a new colour

Picture366.jpg

Picture369.jpg

When waiting for the paint to dry on the wheels I thought of other stuff I could paint and came up with the following

Picture365.jpg

Picture370.jpg

Everything is now back on the car and this is how it looks

Picture374.jpg

Picture375.jpg

Picture376.jpg

Picture380.jpg

I also de-wipered the rear

Picture382.jpg

I had a mess around with the effects on my camera and came up with these

Picture383.jpg

Picture385-1.jpg

Picture384.jpg

Nice project! Like the improvements, especially the detailing stuff, surprising what a good clean will do to the look of a car.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

Nice project! Like the improvements, especially the detailing stuff, surprising what a good clean will do to the look of a car.
thanks mate, I gave the arches a quick clean over again with some megs APC and degreaser whilst the wheels were off :)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

A know mate, we lost the charger for our propper camera so Ive been stuck with the phone for a while, the colour of the wheels is totally different to how they appear through my phone

clio 172 sport

when u lowered ur seat takin out the 'bungs' how much did it drop?
what are they for?
and u dont happen to know if u can do this on a 172ph2

Ben

ClioSport Club Member

Looks awesome mate, but as said above a better camera is needed. The pictures arnt doing it any justice!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

when u lowered ur seat takin out the 'bungs' how much did it drop?
what are they for?
and u dont happen to know if u can do this on a 172ph2

Should be able to do it on any phase mate as all the renaults have them, its on one of the guides on here (not sure if you have to be a payed member to see though)

It made quite a difference yes, well not massively but enough to make my driving position a lot more comfortable (im 6ft 2")

Definately a subtle mod that is for your own benefit

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

P.S me and Austin 182 are going out at the weekend to get some pics of the cars so hopefully I will get them stuck on here and you can see how it actually looks without my horrid camera on the job ha

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member

thats the game mate we will get some today, ur phone makes them pics look shite but the 172 looks ideal since you got it, made a massive difference what uve done to it and all done yourself....

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

That megane was frikkin awesome!!!! More pics??

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

well its been quite a while since i updated this, mainly due to a lack of camera, so i pinched my mates so i could get some more 'recent' ones of it

As it stands

Picture387.jpg

Shortly after purchasing the o.z f1's i started my new job, which meant More money!!!!!!!!!

Which soon meant i could make somemore worthwhile purchases for the 172

The oportunity arrose when i got a call off a mate about a de-cat, it was going cheap so i couldnt resist,

After many hours of cuts and bruises it was fitted

Picture398.jpg

I then read a thread on here about whiteline anti roll bars and a couple of people had bought them and read really good reports on other forums as well, so the purchase was made

Picture408-1.jpg

Picture420.jpg

Picture421-1.jpg

Picture424-1.jpg

'yes i know the sticker is upside down :p '

This then led to me needing to purchase something else, my plan has always been to keep the original air box but replace the element with an ITG, so i got in contact with merlin motorsport and this arrived the day after
Picture430-1.jpg

Picture431-1.jpg

Picture434-1.jpg

Picture436-1.jpg

got it all fitted up, gave the airbox a good clean out as well as it had some unwanted dust etc lying on the walls and bottom of the filter

Picture437-1.jpg

Picture438.jpg

All in all its nice to be in the knowledge you have a good filter doing the job but unfortunately it hasnt made any noticable difference, which i wasnt expecting anyhow, may help once the inlets have been matched.....who knows

Ive also been colour coding my handles as they didnt look right left matt black plastic

Picture439.jpg

As she stood the other night nose to nose with dave ramseys immaculate exclusive

Picture440.jpg