ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 running costs?

Iceberg 172
I'm thinking of getting a 172, a 70-80k mileage with belts done, what are the running costs? Servicing costs etc, I know the Cambelt is 450 ish. What else is there to take into consideration when buying one of these cars?

Im trying to work out whether ill be able to afford it :)

Thanks guys!
Dan

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
In the grand scheme of things insurance is mostly the thing that kills F4R ownership - running them is generally cheap. If you buy smart.

Buying one thats had the necessary work done will save you hassle i'd say. Consumables are so widely available means they don't cost all that much to run outwith tax and insurance.

Budget £600 for a cambelt with dephaser. Don't buy the first example, go and have a drive if 4/5 from different places if you can, this will give an idea of a good or bad one.

I find tax quite expensive so get as much as possible not sure if its the same band as the 182 but that's £146.50 for 6 months ! That puts quite a few people off!

Fuel wise drive it sensible and they are very impressive imo but its still a Renault sport so don't expect 40 to the gallon !

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
When I drive steady I get mid to high 40's. As said before Cam belt is the big cost on these cars. I would also check if bushes/suspension/TR ends have been changed recently, depending on mileage

Iceberg 172
Budget £600 for a cambelt with dephaser. Don't buy the first example, go and have a drive if 4/5 from different places if you can, this will give an idea of a good or bad one.

Would you say budget it in anyway even if its not due for another 3 years lets say? How much is servicing? Are there certain things you need to do?
In the grand scheme of things insurance is mostly the thing that kills F4R ownership - running them is generally cheap. If you buy smart.

Buying one thats had the necessary work done will save you hassle i'd say. Consumables are so widely available means they don't cost all that much to run outwith tax and insurance.

Insurance I have taken into account, it's mainly little niggly bits that cost you, are there many? How do I buy smart, good servicing history etc?

I find tax quite expensive so get as much as possible not sure if its the same band as the 182 but that's £146.50 for 6 months ! That puts quite a few people off!

Fuel wise drive it sensible and they are very impressive imo but its still a Renault sport so don't expect 40 to the gallon !

​I will be driving it sensibly when the budget is tough :p

Iceberg 172
how much are these to replace if they haven't been done? Suspension, bushes, TR ends etc..

172, Focus
I dont think running costs are bad for the 172, occasionaly it will throw something random at you, for example heater resistor or something but i dont find it a expensive car to run at all. I do roughly 80 miles a week on b roads to work, chuck in on average £20 of v power to see me through.

I'm running a suspension refresh offer that consists if every bush and ball joint, and front and rear shocks for £895.

Unless there is a receipt for the cambelt, I'd sooner change it knowing its been done that way.

Servicing isn't too bad, I charge £160 for a 12month/12k service. Intermediate service is the aux kit at 36k/3years is £265.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I'm running a suspension refresh offer that consists if every bush and ball joint, and front and rear shocks for £895.

Unless there is a receipt for the cambelt, I'd sooner change it knowing its been done that way.

Servicing isn't too bad, I charge £160 for a 12month/12k service. Intermediate service is the aux kit at 36k/3years is £265.

On a slightly separate note Dan, I seem to remember you know your way round a VAG 1.8T? Only because the TT needs servicing :eek:

1*2's, for the performance, are extremely cheap to run IMO. I currently pay a 172 cambelt change a year in tax, lol.

On a slightly separate note Dan, I seem to remember you know your way round a VAG 1.8T? Only because the TT needs servicing :eek:

1*2's, for the performance, are extremely cheap to run IMO. I currently pay a 172 cambelt change a year in tax, lol.

I do, drop me a PM with your requirements :)

Standard service is 12k/1yr. Some will tell you two years. Personally I'd ignore them. Budget 120-160 for a standard service if nothing goes wrong.

Parts are cheap if you can fit them yourself and there is an abundance of spares on here.

Cat to manifold kit is a common failure over an ownership period 35 quid plus an hours fitting, shocks are easily done yourself c. Fifty quid a corner. Belts as you know are around 600 all in with a dephaser, buy a cup for a slightly cheaper service regime. Ball joints are around 15 quid each plus and hour or so to fit. Although some places will insist they don't come separately. Driveshafts are a pretty penny at around 200 quid new or 50 quid second hand. And alternators are c. 250 new or again, cheap if you risk a second hand one.

Brakes are 150 all in for rears fitted and then fronts are c45 quid for discs plus your choice of pad anywhere between 15 and 115 quid lol!

Hope that gives you a small insight into part prices etc... Labour dependent this can stay very cheap or he very pricy lol.

cliosport
Insurance is pretty cheap at 19 i paid 680 pound for the 182 cup its more the 25 or less mpg that costs,otha than that mines been pretty reliable.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Insurance is pretty cheap at 19 i paid 680 pound for the 182 cup its more the 25 or less mpg that costs,otha than that mines been pretty reliable.

You paid £680 to insure a 182 in your own name at 19?

clio 172 cup
Get a decent one and u shouldn't have any probs

ive been on a run in my 172 cup today to coast all motor way and done 35.8mpg at a steady 70-80mph

done around 200mile used half of tank

tax on mine is £145 for 6 months

​hope this helps u a bit more

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Get a decent one and u shouldn't have any probs

ive been on a run in my 172 cup today to coast all motor way and done 35.8mpg at a steady 70-80mph

done around 200mile used half of tank

tax on mine is £145 for 6 months

​hope this helps u a bit more

I managed 42mpg over 8 hours of driving with a full boot, a passenger and air con on constantly! :/

clio 172 cup
I managed 42mpg over 8 hours of driving with a full boot, a passenger and air con on constantly! :/

I used to get that out of my 182 but that was standard but my cup is abit more modified but I'm happy with what it did

Ph2 172
They are pretty cheap to run especially if you're able to work on the car yourself. At 27 I'm paying just £280 fully comp with direct line (7 years ncb + a good postcode do help), tax isn't "cheap" but £270 a year isn't much when you consider that fuel/maintenance will cost significantly more than that.

Focus ST-2
In reality you don't get better than 35 mpg from a 172, the computer lies at 40+ imo. Still very affordable to run though.