ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Running Gear On Non Sport - Questions..

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
I want to use 172 front and back brakes on my ph2mk2 clio, its a 1.2, as many of you know i have intentions of putting the F7P turbo engine into it when the car is ready. Shouldn't be to hard of a job because i will be removing the ABS, and running a 172 cup master cylinder straight to the calipers.

What i want to know is what parts do i need to souce?

Was talking to Rob, and he said he is pretty sure i need a fully complete rear beam? just wondering what does this need to include all together? im guessing, Rear beam, Hubs, Disks, Calipers? Anything else that should be included on the rear beam?

What do i need to change on the front?, i want it to have the same shape as the sport, so will be doing front and back bumpers, sills, wings and turini's etc, but for the running gear, can someone just help me make a list please?

cheers.

SG9 Forester STi
As far as the rear goes, I'm changing my drums to disks after getting the 182 conversion.

I've got a Trophy rear beam (calipers and discs came with it) although I've been told by Ktec to get mk1 rear discs so that the ABS will still function.

There are always sport rear beams on ebay and I got mine for a good price...

Here's one on there atm...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Clio-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item439f6e0c5e

As for the front - Ktec sorted all that for me so I didn't have to worry. Good luck with the conversion.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Thanks Vicky x

I will be removing the ABS, so im not bothered with mk1 rear disks, will go for straight 172 gear.

Thanks again.

Can anyone help with what stuff il need for the front?

Cheers!

Evo 8 MR
The list is rather extensive.

It'd be easier just buying a ph1 and swapping everything over tbh. Probably cheaper and certainly quicker too.

You wouldn't have the wider cup gear though obviously.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Its a ongoing project and funds wont allow that. just getting bits now and then as and when i can.

alien green rs133
front end you need
subframe (others will argue but you need it.)
wishbones
hubs
struts
brakes
ARB
Driveshafts

standard steering rach has more than enough ajustment to correct tracking :D

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Thanks a bunch hutchie! - What is ARB?

Im sure i can pick most of this up from the scrappy, any bearings and bushes will be replaced, but should be ok.

alien green rs133
bearings and bushes. tbh leave standard alone, if it aint broke dont fix. once they been apart they never as good IMO

alien green rs133
ohh brake hoses are a different length, but i got away with standard ones for months. its only on the lift that its a problem as when car is sat level it is a shorter route anyway :D

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Well, i will be stripping all current break lines and replacing them, will be stripping ABS out, and using a 172 cup master cylinder, and then using braided lines from the unions to the calipers i guess.

Dont happen to know the origional renault break line outter diameter do you? as the stuff i got here is 8mm o.d 0.6mm thick and i got 20 meters of it (2 packs) just wondering if its going to fit into the master cylinder?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
front end you need
subframe (others will argue but you need it.)
wishbones
hubs
struts
brakes
ARB
Driveshafts

standard steering rach has more than enough ajustment to correct tracking :D
subframe isnt needed . mine is the standard dci one and everything fit fine . and you also need the little bracket that bolts at the back of the engine to support the drivers side shaft

ITB'd MK1
and you also need the little bracket that bolts at the back of the engine to support the drivers side shaft

that depends on what the rest of the kit you have is. you only need that to go with ph2 172 non cup, or 182. A ph1 or a 172 cup doesn't have a center bearing

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
ahh i see , was a right pain in the arse tryin gto get hold of one in the end my made just fabricated a bracket .

ITB'd MK1
not that expensive from renault IIRC

You have to get hubs and driveshafts from matching cars, as the shafts are different lengths. I've put 182 shafts (with center bearing) on a 172cup as an upgrade though.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Thanks Champ, you said you used your dci subframe, is that going to be the same as mine? if so, how did you find the fitment of the wishbones and other stuff, is it a straight fit?

If so, il use my subframe as they aint the cheapest of things.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
thought so.. might have a few questions for you to il drop you a pm

yeah itr all fits asif you were fiting it onto a sport again . arb is diff but you only need to drill a hole to bolt it to the subframe or thats all i needed to do in my case .
need to know anymore drop me a pm mate