ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 running rough

Alfa Mito 155TB

This morning i drove my 172 to work and all was working fine...it had 1/2 tank of optimax in and seemed perfect. Parked at 8:30am and returned back to the car at 6:30pm....from pulling away it was lumpy , had no performance and seemed to be down on power...there was only one solution....i drove it around gently for 20 mins until warmed thru....then thrashed it up and down the gears and using the gearbox/engine as a brake going down the gears..did about 30 hard miles in it on the dual carrriageways.

Its running great again now...just been out in it....if yours is running badly...drive it really hard and it will perk up again...its going in for its 12,000 service next week :).....the tyres are on the wear indicators and it slides brilliantly around corners and roundabouts with predicatable understeer ballanced by the throttle !!!

Clio 1.6 16V

Mine does that all the time. No problem in the morning but if left for a few hours its like a hen on a hot tin roof until the temp guage reaches two notches then it clears its throat and is back to normal. I got Reno to upgrade my ECU and it helped a lot but is still detectable. I believe the problem is due to the latest emmission regs wereby the ECU cuts back on fuelling whilst the CAT heats up to its operational temp. nothing to worry about. My 1.6 does the same thing but not nearly as noticeable, probably due to the lower base emissions.

172, Tiguan

my old 1.4 16v mk2 Y reg used to be terrible till it had warmed up, then as you said, just cleared itself. Renault couldnt seem to fix it. went back a few times to be sorted. they never did fix it.