ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 solid dog bone mount

Trophy #473
Fitted one at the weekend, just for a laugh while I was helping a mate put his engine back in his car, my conclusion:

Wow, gear changes are so much more precise and smooth.... but my god it rattles and vibrates the car to bits! for some strange reason tho it has solved a vibration I get on acceleration (thought to be a warn driveshaft) and has also stopped the exhaust hitting the subframe (different to the previously mentioned vibration)

Anyone has any experiences of the poly dog bone mounts? solid mount isnt the best for a road car...

audi a6 3.0tdi
i'd watch for all your other mounts wearing quicker now that is fitted. i fitted all new mounts to my other one and will be putting them on my current one. i'd reccomend renewing all four mounts with oem spec as the difference is amazing especially when compared to the worn mounts.

Don't remove it cause of the haters, as long as all your other mounts are in good shape you shouldnt see a problem, the only thing it may do is highlight mounts that are all ready weak.

d4ve runs one on his track car
FMP ran one on his ITB'ed time attack clio

I know of another one thats had it on for 11,000 miles, not sure of the mileage Dave or FMP have done.

You say its improved gear changes and cured noises you had before, so why remove :|

ValverInBits
they strip threads out of the hole where they mount to the gearbox. (or at least have done on some peoples cars)

It's a shame they are not designed better (like on valvers for instance, where fitting a solid dogbone is no problem at all).

I've seen that on one person's car? , and i've seen people with problems with the gearbox mountings with standard mounts anyway, more so than people with the dog bone.

they strip threads out of the hole where they mount to the gearbox. (or at least have done on some peoples cars)

It's a shame they are not designed better (like on valvers for instance, where fitting a solid dogbone is no problem at all).

Ph1 172 uses the same dogbone mount as 16v/Williams

This was a copy of coops soild dogbone mount.. well so Mr Williams told me:cool:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i ran one on my 1.2 16v for about a year untill it wore the threads on the gearbox and then snapped off taking the cat with it!

ran one on my 172 for 6 months, thought it killed the top mounts untill i changed them and then found out it was actually a driveshaft causing the movement not the worn mounts, but removed it anyway, was no sign of thread damage so think its mainly on the non RS cars due to no 4th mount to help take the weight/torque

WHat did you do with it Martin ? And did fitting a standard dog bone change anything compared to the powerflex one ?

SQ5
I have a powerflex just sitting at home for a Ph1 and din't fit it due to bad reviews on here. But now I'm thinking if I change all others I should be ok?

MY exhaust is hitting subframe and gear changes could do with being smoother! I'm not paying what I think was £170 for a a Renault one when i can buy all mounts including the one I have for less than that from Ktec!

But am I right in saying the Ph1 doesnt have the Lower Front Gearbox mount?

C

Cupster

Had mine on for about 2 and a bit years now maybe 8k worth of driving! No seen any probs with it. mounts look fine and big plus on removing the dreaded banging. Not noticed anything in terms of smoother gearchanges etc but there is a bit bit of vibration through the car which I don't mind.

Image010.gif

RS RIP
i ran one on my 1.2 16v for about a year untill it wore the threads on the gearbox and then snapped off taking the cat with it!

ran one on my 172 for 6 months, thought it killed the top mounts untill i changed them and then found out it was actually a driveshaft causing the movement not the worn mounts, but removed it anyway, was no sign of thread damage so think its mainly on the non RS cars due to no 4th mount to help take the weight/torque

There are 172 cases too with the gearbox-thread wearing !

PH1 172 Sport
Had mine on for about 2 and a bit years now maybe 8k worth of driving! No seen any probs with it. mounts look fine and big plus on removing the dreaded banging. Not noticed anything in terms of smoother gearchanges etc but there is a bit bit of vibration through the car which I don't mind.

Image010.gif

Wish my car was that clean underneath!!